• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 weeks / 20 days.

But it will be going up to 23 days in the new year.

Any days we dont use when we quit are paid to us OR I can use them to get out of my notice period a little quicker.... I might have a week of days saved up and ready to go I plan to use to this very purpose.

My PTO is calculated on the hours I work so if I work some overtime I might also get an extra day or two here and there.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
4 weeks PTO, 2 weeks for Christmas/New Year, and at least another week or so for other holidays like Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving. Black Friday... I consider myself lucky compared to what most people get.

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
US - 28 days (vacation+sick time) plus the 10-11 paid holidays. Been there 20 years tho. 5 more years to get the last week!

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Currently 21 days annual leave (basic leave time) and 12 days sick leave and of course the standard holidays.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Last job I had been there six years and got six weeks PTO + bank holidays. I never had the workload to afford taking more than four weeks, and unfortunately rollover days expired.

New job is four weeks PTO + two weeks of "sick days" + banking holidays.

USA

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I am freelance now, but at my last full time job you started out with 5 personal days and zero vacation days. After your first year of working there you would get 5 vacations days... Every year anniversary you'd get an extra 5 days of vacation added, so:

Year 1: 0 days
Year 2: 5 days
Year 3: 10 days

... and so on in that fashion. It was my first "adult" job so at the time I did not realize how terrible that was.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
[
US Department of Defense employee. Currently, I accrue 6 hours per pay period (so every two weeks). This adds up to 20 days per year. We also get federal holidays off. I think there are 10 of those. Once I hit 15 years, I'll get 8 hours per pay period, which is 26 days per year. I can carry 240 hours to the next year, and would lose any over that (which has never happened to me).

My accrual is similar however, I choose to get paid in time and not money for my OT. In addition i get around 5 sick days a year. We are allowed to have a year or two max before they force you to start taking time.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
One week right now I am working 6 days out of the week for peak season

People order the most ridiculous things online

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have vacation specific days off. I get 20 total days off, which is a combined bucket that encapsulates vacation and sick days.

It's good and better than what most Americans get sadly, but I wish they didn't combine vacation and sick days.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
15 days vacation plus 10 days PTO. Plus the usual holidays when the office is closed. That's in America, so probably a good bit better than average for here.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark. Earn 25 days per year. My specific workplace has 5 more earned per year.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My sister was forced to sign a paper she is giving up her weekly vacation to work on holiday season, only able to rest 25 and 31

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4. I work for a small business owner. I have to take the same 4 weeks she and her family does. Which is the week between Christmas and New Years, the week of Thanksgiving, the first week her kids are out of school for summer and the week leading into Labor day. Not complaining, those are perfect weeks to have off. All paid at 100%.

Arctor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get paid vacation.

I've applied for and gotten 2 unpaid days off in 8 years 7 months.

I've never taken a sick day.

I was 5 minutes late once.

I wish I were dead.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
20 days of paid vacation is the most I can bank. I earn about 13 and some change vacation hours per month. But I work for a university, so we also get a number of the federal holidays off and the week between Christmas and New Year's off.

Then there are sick days, but those are separate.

US, BTW.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm here in the US. I get 10.5hrs of PTO added to the bank every 2 weeks. We can bank up to 500hrs. I currently have 250.

I work from home though, so I don't really need to take days off. I only break for vacations, which I take 2 weeks at a time.

We can also turn our hours in for cash money. It's nice knowing that is an option if I should ever need it.

Mar 9, 2018
It's always unfortunate that we as chefs have to measure our ability by the high rate of turnover. I notice it in every kitchen, there's a sense of personal validation when someone quits.

The chef may receive some esteem, but the cooks are treated always as worthless and expendable, by the people they work with even.

It's an awful profession and I'm glad you managed to get out of it. I'm stuck in it for now.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
Currently, due to how long I've been there, 25 PTO days, 10 holiday days (usually, can be more depending on when holidays fall; can use as time off or cash out), and 2 EX-Vac (extra vacation) days. Due to my job being "shift" work (one week M, T, F, S, S and then next just W, Th) those days can be used for a TON of time off.

edit: in the US

Last edited:

Mj1108

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
23 days of paid vacation. Not sure how much for sick leave I get per year, but have over 800 hours of sick leave saved up. Thankfully it rolls over every year.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
33 days which includes the bank holidays (UK).

Counting sick leave on that isn't really something I've thought much of in my current job, I haven't had any long term sick leave in the last few years thankfully but if it was more than a week I'd get a doctors note if they wanted one. I don't think my employer really cares though, if I'm sick there's not much I can do about it, i'd have to take a lot of regular days off or weeks in a single block for it to even register with them (I have worked in places which were much stricter on sick leave using the whole Bradford Factor stuff though.)

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I 'think' I have around 26/27 days a year (up from the standard due to how long I've been there) - and bank holidays.

And I use it all.

Luckily, we're encouraged to use it too.

I try and take a week off every few months or so - just to go off schedule and refresh.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
If you take a sick day In the US, do you have to go to the doctor to proof that you're sick?

Every company will have it's own policy. At my office, if you have 3 days off in a row for the same sickness, you are expected to bring in a doctor's note.

Also, some have policies such as you have to work the day before and after a holiday in order to get your paid holiday.

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
Not that weird!

vacation.png
That map is depressing as an American. Theoretically I'd like to eventually move to the EU because of America's bull, but it seems like that's more or less a pipe dream. I'm getting an engineering degree, but with the loans that I'm taking out It's not likely I'll ever have the money.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
When I was staff I got 20 days off paid, plus sick if I needed it. Bearing in mind that as I work 12 hour shifts and only work 182 days a year anyway, the holiday meant I was at work only 162 days a year. On top of that if I happened to work a public holiday I got double time.

Now as a freelancer I get none but I actually only work approx 145 days a year now through choice. Within the next few years that'll be going down.

Bliss.

Deleted member 11113

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
7 weeks summer break (I'm a teacher in Sweden) + about four additional weeks when you include other holidays like Christmas and Easter.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I was recently talking to an American co-worker who said in their last job they were given 8 days of holiday a year. Apparently no employer is obligated by US law to provide paid leave.
How do you mentally survive working for so long? It seems insane to me that this isn't a bigger issue in politics

We receive 4 weeks paid leave in New Zealand, and we are paid out what we don't use when we quit. I'm curious to hear what others get

Couple things:

Federal Law does not mandate paid leave, however State Law or Municipal Law might.

California and Michigan for instance mandate employers provide paid sick leave to employees statewide.
Philadelphia, PA passed a local ordinance requiring employers of a certain size within city limits to also provide paid sick leave.

New Jersey (and one other state that escapes me) also requires employers to offer paid maternity/paternity leave, up to 6 months or so.

So this can vary a bit.

But beyond that, even though federal law doesn't mandate paid leave, from a practical standpoint MOST employers do because it's difficult to keep good employees otherwise. I'm not familiar with any employers that flat out offer NO paid leave at all- typically you're looking at about a week to start, with that amount increasing over time.

There's also a trend of certain employers offering "unlimited" time off, but this is at the discretion of management. My current job offers this.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
5 weeks paid per year, by law.
I usually take 5-10 more days a year for christmas or when I need time off to do something special. I live in Sweden.