• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask what is meant by unlimited days off? People aren't actually getting unlimited time off work.

Oct 27, 2017
After 10 years working at my last place I could take up to 3 weeks, but I was never allowed to use them because we were always "busy and needed coverage". Last time I took 5 days of vaction was back in 09.
Holy shit.

I get 5 weeks minimum in France and take three weeks during July/August. Plus all the public holidays

Plus 3 months full sick pay if signed by a doctor.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I get three but my ex's dad had 10 weeks before he retired. It was crazy. He basically took most of the summer off to golf and travel.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
30 working paid days per year with the ability to transfer a maximum of 15 days to the next year.
14 paid sick leave
7 paid emergency leave

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right now 4 weeks with 14 additional days off (7 of which can be cashed in, 7 won't)
We'll prob lose some of those days on the new contract

Being unionized is nice.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Like 12 weeks? + 6 or so personal days that transfer over to the next year. I teach so like, there's costs/benefits but the non-teaching time is like.... I don't know if I ca ever have another job because if it haha....

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I have unlimited vacation time.
Can I ask what is meant by unlimited days off? People aren't actually getting unlimited time off work.
That is actually what it is. Technically mine needs to be approved (not that I've ever heard of it not being approved), but the policy is essentially "don't abuse it".

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The point of unlimited PTO is flexibility - I can take a random day off if need be without affecting my planned vacation a few months down the road. It's indeed unlimited but of course needs to be approved by your team.

Different companies have different culture regarding unlimited PTO and it's usage.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The point of unlimited PTO is flexibility - I can take a random day off if need be without affecting my planned vacation a few months down the road. It's indeed unlimited but of course needs to be approved by your team.

Different companies have different culture regarding unlimited PTO and it's usage.
But, is it paid? I assume not? So with "unlimited" PTO, how much paid vacation days are you getting?

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017

It's not unlimited, not the way I use the word unlimited anyway. I suppose companies use that term more as a way of helping employees feel happy about their situations. Especially if there are places where there are 0 contracted holiday days.

Pepps

Oct 28, 2017
25 days in my first year at a Dutch company in Amsterdam and I can never manage to use them all up. The most I had in Canada was 20 but that was after a few years.

Oct 25, 2017
Unlimited PTO but 1 week vacation.

However I get the 21st of December to January 2nd off for the holidays as a company vacation that's paid for so you could technically call it two weeks vacation. This company holiday does not take away from my PTO either. It's pretty sweet

Steelrain

Oct 25, 2017
I get 30 days PTO a year that rolls over into the next fiscal year for up to 89 days. I usually take 4-6 weeks per year. I also have mandatory 3-4 day weekends once a month with Federal Holidays off on top. All paid.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
25 days / 5 weeks, plus whatever holidays are falling on a work day. up to 9 or 10 depending on the area.

Officially it also required to take most of the vacation days.

Jan 29, 2018
When I started at my company I got 3 weeks/15 days. I've been here 10 years now and get 5 weeks/25 days.

That's vacation and sick days though, so I always save some in case I get sick, then end up taking the last two weeks of December off.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I earn a little over 4.5 weeks of vacation, receive government holidays off, and at Christmas get between 10-15 days paid depending on the day the holiday falls and the performance of our organization.

In addition, I earn 13 days of sick leave a year.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
UK here, I get 20 plus 8 bank holidays.

My girlfriend gets 25 plus 8 bank holidays and an extra day for her birthday. Jammy.

Before this I was fully freelance, tough adjustment to make.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Less than two and I consider myself lucky.

I ran out of my limited PTO and sick days a month ago due to some health issues and now, no matter how I feel, I have to come in. No matter what happens.

Again, I consider myself lucky to have paid time off and sick days at all. That's just how shitty America is. Capitalism run rampant. Average Americans are nothing but batteries for the machine.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Small company so no concrete vacation policy. I usually take around two weeks off. I'm sure I could get away with more if I wanted or needed to.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
The statutory minimum for full-time work, so 28, of which 8 are the regular UK public holidays and 3 are the days between Christmas and New Years, which are mandatory at my company (the bastards)