• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
People said the same thing about cigarette smoke. I'm not a fan of any second hand smoke; weed, cigarette, cigar, or pipes. It all irritates my sinuses and makes me sneeze or cough, not including the smell of many strains of cannabis is absolutely horrible.

I don't mind what people do in their own homes. I used to smoke recreationally from time to time, but most strains I tried made me hyper (often awake for 1-2 days) unless I ate edibles (which kept me hyped but stuck af). But normalizing weed is like normalizing tobacco (which also has medicinal uses when consumed in the right medium).

Tobacco started out mostly harmless until companies added more nicotine, more tar, more chemicals to make it burn faster or slower, etc etc. Normalizing cannabis to a profitable degree on a national scale would just convince big tobacco to shift leaves, causing it to (likely) be chemically addictive (rather than emotionally/psychologically).

I don't have a problem with smokers, either. I would just prefer they don't blow their smoke in my direction/face. Same with vapers.
You can't compare the history of tobacco to weed, people are totally different now and things that flew in the past and in turn became ingrained in society would not fly now.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
You guys just need to smoke more, or smell more weed then you'll get used to it and won't sound like crying old men. 😁

Even if I smoked I'd never do that shit where my kid could be inhaling my second hand smoke. You say this like weed is exempt from being second hand smoke. It isn't.

https://www.mountsinai.org/about/newsroom/2018/secondhand-pot-smoke-found-in-kids-lungs
Urine samples were collected from the parents' children. Those samples revealed that 46 percent of the youngsters had detectable levels of the marijuana metabolite tetrahydrocannabinol carboxylic acid (COOH-THC), and 11 percent had detectable levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Even if I smoked I'd never do that shit where my kid could be inhaling my second hand smoke. You say this like weed is exempt from being second hand smoke. It isn't.

https://www.mountsinai.org/about/newsroom/2018/secondhand-pot-smoke-found-in-kids-lungs
never said that and I'm obviously joking
Oh yeah, it's great for kids too right all that lovely second hand stank?
Kids just get used to it
As long as they remember to pass it to the left.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Add me to the list of people who hate the smell. I have a friend who is a top tier pothead, and his house reeks every time I go in it. Just awful smelling. I comment on it now and again and he has no idea, says he doesn't smell anything.

Actually it's that way for all of the pot smokers I know. I've also had several neighbors who smoke and it makes my apartment embarrassing to invite people over to cause you can smell it in my unit. Hate the stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Never, in that I imagine the lazy burnout stereotypes will persist for those who fit the mold.

I'm hoping I live to see the end of smoking as any sort of socially acceptable habit. The smell is awful and secondhand smoke is bad for you.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This post is why weed gets the stigma it does.

And once again you smoking in your home is reasonable. Your second hand smoke in someone else's unit isn't reasonable.

Really trying to justify your smoke in someone else's home, lol. Learn to not be selfish and not to make nonsense analogies like a fart.

Pothead logic: My weed smoke is OK and like, your farts are worse!

Be considerate of those around you. It's really not that difficult. You can smoke at home and also not impact your neighbors with some basic consideration and a drive to your local home depot. But that requires giving a shit about your smoke around your neighbors and most smokers give zero fucks. Hence the stigma.

What in the hell are you talking about drive to your local home Depot? I'm sure nobody is blowing smoke in your unit, if they are you have every right to complain but just because you can smell it doesn't mean someone is blowing smoke at you.
I can smell chimneys burning wood across the street in the winter but it doesn't mean their smoke is in my house. Sure it's annoying to you but so is the neighbor using a leaf blower and you needing to turn up your TV while the yardwork is going on. Nobody is saying you should be smelling weed 100% of the time at while you're at home but if it's once in a while I'd recommend not being so uptight about it. Also, just because someone smokes weed every once in a while does not make them a pothead, just like someone who has a glass of wine with dinner on the weekend isn't an alcoholic.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Like everything in life, it will be better when all the boomers are finally dead.

Edit: as a fellow Canadian I feel the stigma is pretty much gone, has been (for the most part) for a while now.

The rest of the world (cough America cough) needs to catch up.

The stigma of it is gone in a lot of parts, but because it's still illegal on a federal level a lot of folks still cling to that. NY and NJ are getting ready to expunge weed related arrests from people's records in the next year.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
What stigma exactly do you think will go away? Your list of smoking, drinking and gambling all carry stigmas despite they more legal status. To be honest I don't think weed being legal would change my bias all that much... it being illegal isn't why I have the bias to begin with.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
What in the hell are you talking about drive to your local home Depot? I'm sure nobody is blowing smoke in your unit, if they are you have every right to complain but just because you can smell it doesn't mean someone is blowing smoke at you.
I can smell chimneys burning wood across the street in the winter but it doesn't mean their smoke is in my house. Sure it's annoying to you but so is the neighbor using a leaf blower and you needing to turn up your TV while the yardwork is going on. Nobody is saying you should be smelling weed 100% of the time at while you're at home but if it's once in a while I'd recommend not being so uptight about it. Also, just because someone smokes weed every once in a while does not make them a pothead, just like someone who has a glass of wine with dinner on the weekend isn't an alcoholic.

I'm saying smokers can add weather stripping to their doors and close their windows to contain their smoke.

Some all the weed you want. Keep your smoke to yourself. You don't get a pass cause it's not a cigarette. And the problems with alcohol doesn't negate anything.

xnipx

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When the government removes it from schedule 1 drugs. You can be an alcoholic and get a security clearence in the US but not a pot head. Another reason why the US govt tech sector is so far behind the private industry.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-smells bad, don't want that in my apartment building

Maybe open up bars but for pot or something

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
When the government removes it from schedule 1 drugs. You can be an alcoholic and get a security clearence in the US but not a pot head. Another reason why the US govt tech sector is so far behind the private industry.

Private industry drug tests too, not sure why you think they don't.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
My parents generation and my generation need to die off for sure, and maybe one beyond that, so I'm gonna go with at least 50-60 years

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
It really needs to become legal on a federal level first. Then weed-related commerce will increase exponentially once places can accept credit cards and receive bank loans without issue, which will begin to make weed seem like a normal everyday business. Also, companies will then begin removing policies (including soft policies) that punish for weed use, either voluntarily or by consequence of lawsuits. After that, you'll see it become something that is accepted fairly quickly, I think

What private industry tech jobs test for weed? Please enlighten me
Every tech job that is within a company that drug tests as a condition of employment. My last two companies had massive tech departments and drug tested for weed upon hire.

Last edited:

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I'm saying smokers can add weather stripping to their doors and close their windows to contain their smoke.

Some all the weed you want. Keep your smoke to yourself. You don't get a pass cause it's not a cigarette. And the problems with alcohol doesn't negate anything.

I was just pointing out calling everyone who smokes weed a pothead is like calling everyone who drinks an alcoholic. You can make your point without the hyperbole.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I was just pointing out calling everyone who smokes weed a pothead is like calling everyone who drinks an alcoholic. You can make your point without the hyperbole.

Oh, I'm not calling everyone that smokes weed a pothead. I'm calling anyone can't comprehend how other people might not value their weed smoke entering their apartment a pothead. There's a distinct difference you're kinda ignoring.

Smoke weed, cigarettes, cigars. Do you. But don't act shocked others might not wanna smell that shit in their units.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Any creidble company should.
Heh. If Google tested for Weed, they'd loose 75% of their workforce overnight.
I have a feeling that the stigma is going to be around a lot longer than people who smoke a lot of weed think it will.

I'm curious what the 'stigma' is that people worry about here. Like, I don't really care if people smoke, but I sorta consider it juvenile. I assume that's just the old man talk slowly infiltrating my brain though, so I just smile and say "Yeah. The Weed is super cool to me too" so that no one suspects.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
giphy.gif

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
If you don't want marijuana legalized then you are not with the black cause.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the 420 culture will be accepted. Vancouver is in the middle of some controversy as there is a 420 festival that masks itself as a protest so they don't have any responsibilities with clean up or permits. That culture is never going to get normalized and I hope it never does.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as somebody in his 30s i've noticed a pretty big difference from when i was in high school. in my county you can't get arrested for under 4 ounces which would've been mind blowing to me 20 years ago

but the dirty long haired stoner is pretty ingrained in americana so i don't think the overall stigma will ever really go away

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
What private industry tech jobs test for weed? Please enlighten me

Pretty much all tech industries test for marijuana.
If you're looking at the big names, they don't test as long as they're in a state or country that has made it legal (i.e., California).
Amazon locations outside of California (for this example, let's say Charlotte, NC) will do a random test (mouth swag, urine, or hair tests) randomly when employed with them - and a urine test upon accepting an offer (during your orientation).
The same goes for Google locations (data centers or offices) have a similar "maybe/maybe not" scenario when getting hired through their offices. In the London office, you don't necessarily have to agree to take a drug test - but they will give you notice. You can be terminated if tested positive or if you've refused the test.

That's not including all of the startups all across the US that will run drug tests and background checks, especially if the startup has a high profile partner or has government-based customers.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weed is legal in canada now and I've noticed basically zero difference in society.

i remember someone here on era doing some first-rate pearl clutching at allll the cars that were gonna fly off the roads everywhere the day it was legalized in Canada

for all the "I hate the smell" folks – you might want to wish for legalization anyways if you don't have it. in Halifax they essentially reacted to the weed legalization by banning ALL public smoking. including cigs and vapes.

edit - US drug testing for so many jobs still amazes me. i've never seen that shit anywhere in Canada unless it was for law enforcement or some other attention-critical thing

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Here in WA everybody smokes. Tech people, bankers, real estate and insurance people... it's ubiquitous.