• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im recently dating a non gamer, not for her lack of not liking artistic stuff but just because never experienced it. I already got some ps4 2 players co-op games like Love is a Dangerous Space and Unravel 2, i do plan to buy Snipperclip.

I wanted to know how much Luigi Mansion is a 2 players game? Im guessing Gooigi isn't available from the start? Does he only appear in specific level? I dont want her to be bored by watching me play Luigi for 30min each level so she can play 5min of Gooigi.

I was pretty much media black about that game so i know nothing.

P.s: any other must have on Switch/PS4?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It takes about a half hour to unlock co-op, from there the entire game is co-op and it's great.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Luigis Mansion is the perfect game to play with someone who is not great at games. The coop is there pretty much the entire game and Gooigi can't die.

Super fun game. Me and kid's had a blast. It's really like a theme park game.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
He appears unlocks around the end of the first level. You'll be playing about half an hour to an hour solo. Then fully co-op past then.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Snipperclips is a good choice. Luigi's Mansion 3 is a great co-op but feels a little repetitive if you play for longer sessions.

If she's open to platformers, I'd recommend New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. It's the most fun co-op I've had on Switch, just more immediate, more action, more silly, and more interaction between the players.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
There's so much co-op that at times I felt that the pacing of single-player version of the game was hampered by all the sections that were clearly designed for co-op.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Luigis Mansion is the perfect game to play with someone who is not great at games. The coop is there pretty much the entire game and Gooigi can't die.

Super fun game. Me and kid's had a blast. It's really like a theme park game.

Random question, but how would you compare it to the co-op in Super Mario Odyssey. My wife loved just being Cappy while I did all the Mario stuff, because she's not really a big gamer. Would Luigi's Mansion be a similar kind of experience?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Random question, but how would you compare it to the co-op in Super Mario Odyssey. My wife loved just being Cappy while I did all the Mario stuff, because she's not really a big gamer. Would Luigi's Mansion be a similar kind of experience?
It's more involved than Cappy. Gooigi can often do the same shit Luigi is doing so they can help without worrying about dying. And there are a lot of coop puzzles where you need both of them working together.

I played with my kids and it was a blast.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback! I think the Not Dying aspect is the big one, so it sounds like it could be a good fit.

OP
OP
Alastor3

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Snipperclips is a good choice. Luigi's Mansion 3 is a great co-op but feels a little repetitive if you play for longer sessions.

If she's open to platformers, I'd recommend New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. It's the most fun co-op I've had on Switch, just more immediate, more action, more silly, and more interaction between the players.
How is Super Mario Bros as a co-op?? I remember back in the days the one on the Wii playing with my friends, but it wasn't really co-op, it was more like "dont die, or jump on your friend's head/bubble"

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If she plays as Gooigi she doesn't have to worry about dying really because she can revive herself almost immediately. Also she can contribute to the puzzle solving and ghost catching as well. If she finds the ghost catching overwhelming she can also hide in Luigi's backpack for a bit. Some of the boss fights do encourage working together though. I played through the game as Gooigi with my boyfriend and had a lot of fun.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
My son loves being Gooigi as but there are a few times I need him to do stuff specifically especially against the bosses and he struggles. The controls can be a bit of a nightmare. Id still recommend it though it's great.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
How is Super Mario Bros as a co-op?? I remember back in the days the one on the Wii playing with my friends, but it wasn't really co-op, it was more like "dont die, or jump on your friend's head/bubble"
It depends how you play it. With 3 friends, it's usually quite chaotic (but still fun in my opinion), but if you just play with a significant other or someone who's not very used to games, at least in my experience you take it a lot slower, you go one at a time over the more difficult hazards, or you try to sync jumping on the other's head to reach higher passages or star coins. A lot more collaborative for sure!

funo

Oct 27, 2017
Game is great for coop after you have completed the introduction (first 30 mins)

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
One consideration is that it is a somewhat difficult to control game. It's a bit complicated, so I could see how absolutely newbies could struggled. If they're somewhat familiar with playing games casually, it might be okay.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Tried playing it with my wife, she hated catching ghosts with the way the game controls.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
There's so much co-op that at times I felt that the pacing of single-player version of the game was hampered by all the sections that were clearly designed for co-op.
Yep. I loved LM3 but some of the segments and bosses have some intricate co-op play and feel more cumbersome if you have to do it alone. I played a chunk of the game co-op and the latter half solo and the game definitely shines even more if you can share the experience.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
It takes about a half hour to unlock co-op, from there the entire game is co-op and it's great.
Yup. Played the whole game with me gf and it was amazing.
She has been playing games the same amount of years as me, though, but Gooigi should be great for anyone not so involved as us: if he dies you just respawn, so it's very forgiving, and since he is needed anyways, you feel helpful when playing coop and not as something tacked on or that makes the game much easier.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
My SO and I had an absolute wonderful time playing this. It is not super frustrating (with the exception of one boss) and there is plenty of fun to be had.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and me are playing the game completely in co-op, too (minus the first half-hour). It's great fun, but there are parts where you can clearly see the co-op wasn't the main goal, as everything had to be doable in single player. Still very much appreciated.

But why do I have to configure the second player's control method every single time we boot up the game (only the main player's is saved)? Please do tell, Nintendo! XD

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Awesome coop experience. Gooigi is really useful (sometimes only him can do stuff) and immortal (he has less HP but can reinvoke himself from luigi each time he dies).
It was really great. Advice for newcomers, doesn't bother with money. Sure, take it, but doesn't waste time because you struggle to get some.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I think the game was definitely designed with coop in mind so it's a good choice to play through with someone.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Of course I don't need it. But tell that to my OCD...
My GF is a little bit like that too. I am playing DK tropical freeze and when I let a banana that I can reach but need to backtrack a little, she looks at me with a big "but why?".
That is not specialy OCD for her but she has a completionnist vibe in her, good that most game she played hasn't "completion" in them.