• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno if this has been talked about already so I'll ask, and mods can lock if a thread has covered this very topic.

Would the locales/towns/villages change? Would the shrines just be deactivated or recede back into the ground? I ask cause...what would make exploring fun again if you already know where everything is?? I can imagine enemies possibly changing with the resurrection of Ganondorf but open-world wise...what would change? We leaving Hyrule possibly?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It's impossible to know until we get more info on the game but I'm sure there wil be substantial changes all around. Aonuma already confirmed we're not leaving Hyrule, though judging by the trailer underground areas may now be a thing.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Zelda has a long tradition of mixing up worlds you think you know to make them different -- usually some variant of Time Travel or Dark World mechanics. Either one would be magnificent when applied to BOTW.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
It's impossible to know until we get more info on the game but I'm sure there wil be substantial changes all around. Aonuma already confirmed we're not leaving Hyrule, though judging by the trailer underground areas may now be a thing.
The map is already pretty big, I can't really imagine it getting bigger but I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if they added more areas to explore by expanding the map. Or make ruins explorable like the Zonai ruins and such

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Zelda has a long tradition of mixing up worlds you think you know to make them different -- usually some variant of Time Travel or Dark World mechanics. Either one would be magnificent when applied to BOTW.
Oooo yeah like time travelling back to before the Calamity when Ganondorf was still alive/human

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Something like WoW's Cataclysm expansion. Mostly the same, with a few areas that got blown up by whatever followed the rumbling in the trailer.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I wonder if we'll see more parts of that world raised into the sky as we see with the castle - could be an easy way to throw a spin on the already familiar while creating new locations in what's left behind.

Edit: er, I just watched the trailer again, scratch that about the castle raising from the ground, I guess I just assumed that was what was going to happen as all that rumbling happened.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think the old hyrule wont be in the sequel, and that the sequel is gonna have a more compact world with more fleshed out content. Both games will still have their unique attraction this way. Nintendo always goes that route

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see the exact same map geographically with a few new areas but just having the landscape dotted with towns, structures and all sorts of stuff.
It would be super cool to see the world go from a nature overrun post apocalyptic world with a few major settlements of people basically trying to put the pieces back together to a vibrant world full of settlements.

Oct 27, 2017
in terms of the absolute "worst case senario" you can look to A Link Between Worlds as an example. Kept the same geography as A Link to the past but changed the secrets ,dungeons ,citizens and locales

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's a whole new world~

I'm keeping my expectations in check because I really don't think we will be blown away by any changes in the world for the sequel but I do hope we see some significant rebuilding efforts from the survivors. Maybe even some additional races getting some towns like maybe some good moblins come together to make a village of reformed monsters ala Monstro Town from SMRPG.

Jehuty

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it is that BOTW world followed that of Zelda 1 (they even had a 8-bit Zelda demo using the BOTW engine). So the sequel to BOTW will follow the Zelda 2 world (which kinda makes sense since Zelda 2 had all the temples and caverns like the BOTW sequel teaser video showed). If the sequel does indeed follow this, then I expect there to be tons of new explorable places, towns/settlements, and proper dungeons (but more like Zelda 2 temples with probably some shrine puzzles thrown in there).

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've already completely explored botw, I hope it's not the same

Even if it's the same world with some small changes that's not going to be enough, it needs to be like 80% different and 20% the same

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
I mean BOTW already has a derelict Temple of Time.

They could do an OOT callback and have you stick the Master Sword in there to travel back.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I figure time travel will be in play. We have the temple of time and the master sword already on the map from BoTW.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I'd prefer it if the shrines receded back into the ground and all the existing locations were slightly tweaked. I don't mind them reusing the same overworld if it has enough changes and additions. Like at least as significant a change as the overworld in Link Between Worlds.

Then I'd like for a bunch of new, true dungeons to open up, preferably in difficult to find locations that feel extremely rewarding when you stumble upon them, with an intended order, but you can tackle them out of order, like Zelda on NES.

May 24, 2019
I'm guessing there's the original topside, plus a number of new underground cave systems/dungeons.
It'd be cool if the underground was free roaming too, but I'm guessing they're segmented and just accessable through a topside entrance each, or there'll be shuttles to ride between them.