• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much do PS5's distinguishing features contribute to your enjoyment of games on the platform?

• They significantly enhance my enjoyment throughout an entire game

Votes: 634 36.1%
  • They are nice and appreciated, but I stop noticing them after a while

Votes: 481 27.4%
  • I'm indiferent to them

Votes: 412 23.4%
  • I actively dislike them and/or disable some or all of them

Votes: 231 13.1%

• Total voters

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
While the platform that I've spent the most time gaming on these last 5-7 years has been the Switch by a landslide, I can't help but appreciate the PS5's distinctive feature set whenever a game does bring me back in front of my 4K TV for some current-gen gaming. The most recent game to get me to boot up my PS5 has been the Dead Space remake, which features fantastic implementation of all of the console's touted features like spatial audio, adaptive triggers, and Dualsense haptics. There can be a lot of variance between games in terms of how well they utilize these features, but when they are prioritized I personally find them to significantly enhance my enjoyment of whatever I'm playing.

Standout games that highlight this for me are Astro's Playroom, Returnal, Sackboy, and Dead Space remake to name a few.

ASTROs-PLAYROOM_20201024103102.jpg
deadspaceremakefeatured.jpg

I've owned every Sony console, but this unique feature set really helps the PS5 stand out from the pack for me in a way that their previous hardware iterations haven't. They are features that make the PS5 version of a multi-platform game my preferred choice every time if they're utilized, and a Sony console having such a distinctive hardware experience like this is Nintendo-esque in my view. I mean that in a good way. We're getting current-gen performance (which Nintendo no longer offers) with some very intentional and IMO impactful hardware/software features that make playing a PS5 game feel distinctive to the platform. The spatial audio implementation in many games on PS5 is so good that I end up playing almost exclusively with headphones on just to get the most out of it.

But I've seen plenty of people say that they disable adaptive triggers, haptics, etc. altogether because they don't enjoy them in the same way that I do. I assume that adaptive triggers in particular might not work for everyone, physically, so that's understandable. So now I'm throwing a poll up here to gauge the general reception to these features and how important they are to the gaming experience on PS5.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I've never played a game on ps5 over my preferred platform because of them but the dual sense features are amazing when supported and done right.

They should've just supported atmos though.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
The controller features are some of the first time I've ever thought about preferring owning a multiplatform game on a console over the PC so take that as you will.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Haptic Feedback completely changed gaming for me, now everytime I play a game without it, especially on other platforms it feels wrong.

Triggers are great too.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Games feel broken whenever I disable them as a test. It's by far the standout feature of the system imo.

Sumac

alt account
Banned
Mar 24, 2023
turned it off forever after astro and I don't even notice spatial audio tbh

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I like them when utilized creatively like in Astros playroom. I expect mostly just going to get a bunch of L2 aim R2 to shoot with some resistance type use of the triggers for most of the gen.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The haptics are especially useful & games like TLoU Part I are only just now tapping into as a tool to aid in accessibility. Hell, the adaptive triggers could be used as a software-level hair trigger. But only Fortnite thought of using the adaptive triggers in this way. I haven't used spacial audio all that much, though.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always pick the PS5 version of multiplat games specifically because of DS, unless the PC version releases at the same time, has no tech issues and supports the features as well. The DS to me is the best controller ever created, both in terms of ergonomics and the technicals. And Sony exclusive games that use it so far have had implementations ranging from good to amazing. The only bad thing I can say about it is that it doesn't run on AA batteries.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part I don't mind them with the exception of the triggers (really like) and the audio speaker in the controller (stupid gimmick)

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
i disable the triggers, but i like the rest. they're not important enough to choose the ps5 version over any other platform though

as for spatial sound; it isn't unique to ps5 so it's whatever. glad to have it anyway

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Not all games are as good as Astro or Returnal when it comes to haptic implementation, but I'm always happy when a developer takes advantage of the Dual Sense features (like in the Dead Space remake since you mentioned it). At the risk of sounding a bit cliché, I think they add some sort of tangibility to games, and I hope more devs will use them in the future.

Same thing with spatail sound: when done correctly, it's good. I wish it would work better with my sound bar, but at least it's pretty good with my headphones.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Dualsense features are immensely missed when I play a game without them, the difference is very noticeable and they very much improve gameplay feeling and immersion

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I will always choose to play a game on PS5 if I have the choice. DualSense is my fav controller by far. Every time a game does the unique footsteps, big ol smile comes across my face.

Nov 17, 2019
It's just kind of whatever at this point. Kinda cool sometimes when I'm playing on my PS5 but I don't exactly miss it when I play on my pc instead.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The triggers are just annoying. Nothing else has a physical reaction, movement, camera, face or d-pad buttons. The triggers just usually have poor implementations were the gun trigger is annoying to pull or is only really used during wood chopping segments.

The other stuff has barely come into play outside of Astro if I'm honest. Or when it does, not really enough to notice. The haptic feedback is cool but underutilised in general.

Its not on your list but I do love the speakers in the controller when they're actually taken advantage of. Deathloops use of it was awesome and prototype 2009 links to play the constant military chatter through it which again is cool.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I love the features and if I had multiple platforms available to me well-implemented Dualsense features would probably cause me to opt for the PS5 version. I'd love to see them become an industry standard (though I'd also like to see more options for those who can't comfortably use a controller like that, or even would just prefer not to).

Most recently I've been really loving the Dualsense implementation in RE4 and especially Dead Space (which I don't think has been talked about enough, Motive did an amazing job and I'm glad to see OP give them some love).

Probably the most "next gen" thing this gen.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
I have not played too much with the adaptive triggers but I think they are pretty cool. Need to try spatial audio more but I don't have great headphones. Need to ask the people in the Headphone OT thread about it.

Panou

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I buy almost all my games on PS5 instead of Series X is the DualSense. I love this controller so much, it is far better than Xbox's.

Even when the haptic feedback or the adaptive triggers are only moderately well implemented, they still feel better than what any other controller has to offer.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes the haptics undeniably good, but that's almost only in first-party games, and only some.

The triggers are basically a miss though and I actively fear they endanger my controller's lifespan. Controller speaker is horrible. No one uses the trackpad.

I only use the gyro on Steam, and it's worthless in multiplayer games where it's supposed to give you an edge.

Pulse is genuinely great in most instances. Sometimes it just won't detect height tho.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I like the haptics, the triggers fucking suck.

Never noticed the spatial audio.

Wanchan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm indifferent to them. I've enjoyed them a lot in Astro because the game was entirely made for the controller but other than that, meh.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'm somewhere between indifferent and actively dislike. Adaptive trigger features for firing guns, etc I don't care for and disable immediately. Excessive rumble gets annoying after a while as well. Controller haptics, no matter how fancy, is something that could disappear tomorrow and I probably wouldn't even notice.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
They're fun but I usually stop noticing them pretty quickly aside from adaptive triggers but those can just get really annoying sometimes.

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
If the haptics are utilised well then yes, absolute game changer for me. Even little things like feeling raindrops through the haptics kind of blows my mind.

Dualsense is honestly my favourite controller of all time.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
None, I don't use them/turn those off when I can. I especially hate the adaptive triggers. So long as I can always turn it off, more power to those who like it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Like the haptics, hate the triggers, my hands hate the ergonomics. I'd use the Dualshock 4 if I could, but Sony sucks about this, so I buy games elsewhere.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
When implemented well they enhance the overall game experience quite a lot (astro bot, returnal, demon's souls, control, etc.).

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I was shocked by how little difference they made to me when I got my PS5.

The way people talked about the DualSense, I thought it was going to be the second coming. But I have been completely indifferent to it.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
They're very good. I tend to forget about them, biut they do enhance the game, they're not things you're supposed to be thinking about

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
liked how they were implemented in re4, like aiming with a scope and using the boat and whatnot

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say I lean more towards being indifferent about them because most games don't impress me with their Dualsense implementation. I'd say I mostly like haptics and generally dislike adaptive triggers. Haptics are usually pretty subtle so it's just nice more precise rumble. Like the raindrop haptics in Returnal were cool.

Adaptive triggers on the other hand outside of Astrobot, Rift Apart, Returnal are kind of a nuisance more than a neat feature. The resistance on triggers isn't really that interesting to me and kind of gets in the way if anything.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
When I play on other platforms, sometimes I forget and wonder what's wrong with the controller, lol.

I like what the features add, and I was not expecting to notice so much before the PS5 launched.

I think besides Astros Playroom...Returnal set the tone and IMO the bar for Dual Sense features.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
They're nice to have, but i'll still buy multiplats on my prefered platform regardless.

Feels like a nice progression of the "rumble", I'm glad they're still developing this feature.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Astro is the only game in which they were a game changer for me. They were pretty well used in Returnal, as well, but I've been otherwise pretty indifferent to them.

I generally disable the adaptive triggers.

Oct 27, 2017
Astros playroom is the only game where the haptics are natural feeling, and dont get in the way IMHO. Other than that, spatial audio is whatever for me. I wish they'd make the battery life longer. i'd turn the haptics off/down to make the battery last longer.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
triggers are terrible most of the time but haptics are really nice.
Not particularly great in every game though.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the adaptive triggers that much and feel like they'll just cause early failure of the hardware. The haptics are cool. And I use speakers so I've never tried the spatial audio (and Sony doesn't support the AirPods for that).

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm too used to it now...I almost expect it.

And that experience got me curious about other accessories that have similar tech (audio converted to haptic feed back)... and since I have bought haptic headphones (Razer Kaira Pro Dual PS5 headset)... a steering wheel that has similar tech "True Force" Logitech g923 for the PS5....and I just got a haptic seat pad for my driving and airplane games.

All that sensation combined with 3D Audio is just one hell of an experience.