• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Sales of this version of the game not overall

Let me preface this by saying, selfishly I'm glad about the delay because I want this as polished as possible as Bed Souls may last me a lifetime:p

but when looking at some of Switch's most successful games according to sales charts and data we have single player rpg's like:

BOTW
Xenoblade
Skyrim
Stardew Valley
and Disagea 5

These games are all constantly charting and will go on to do very, very well as the Switch userbase is expected to grow exponentially. Dark Souls would fit in very, very well here.

A day and date Dark Souls could have made up a substantial portion of the overall sales imo. The portability factor really makes a difference for a release like this... especially considering the performance was said to be rock solid on all accounts. I can't help but think a big opportunity was missed here from a sales perspective as it releasing later than the other 3 versions will severely compromise what sales momentum it could have built from the onset.

What are your thoughts?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A minor hit to its performance, but I think it will do fine by the end. Maybe 70-80% as well as it otherwise would have (totally pulled out of my ass numbers, but they illustrate the point I want to make lol)

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I was originally deciding between PS4 and Switch, and this delay has cemented my choice for the former. So that's one less sale.

I don't how much myself or the rest of Era represents "the market", though. Could be that people only own a Switch, or are fine with late ports, and it'll sell just fine regardless.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
my god why is such a small delay causing a huge uproar.
Because it's been a somewhat dry year on the Switch. Also Dark Souls looked like it will perform great on the Switch and Switch owners wanted to use it as an example as why 3rd party developers should port their games to the Switch.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Me personally not so much, I have so many games in my Nintendo backlog that it won't even matter. In fact, it'll be better lol.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Not affecting mine. Was gonna double dip for PS4 and Switch anyway. Maybe Xbox cause that's all that my friends and coworkers have.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Patient gamer here, we patient gamers have an ease of mind for all delays less than 3 years.

I'm okay with them delaying the release to fix bugs. That's how I'm doing it anyway.

reMiX.

Mar 6, 2018
Probably not by much cuz a lot of people are gonna buy it, regardless of whether they intend to or end playing it ever, for the novelty of having Souls on switch.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The game came out in 2011, the Switch will survive another month or 2

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to try and launch it against more prominent games that are not 7 years old?

The closer they get to a September launch date the more the sales will suffer.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
It will be a bomba of epic proportions because Switch owners will boycott it. Bamco will publicly apologize for their mistreatment of Switch owners. In an attempt to make amends, they will send a free download code for Dark Souls: Remastered Switch version to all Nintendo account registered e-mail addresses. The CEO will step down and donate his last year's salary to save the company from bankruptcy due to the money they lost by deceiving Switch owners.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like every comment on the Reddit thread on /r/Nintendo is "Guess I'm getting this on PS4/PC"

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
its a re-release without anything new as far as I know so its not gonna affect the sales in any real amount, as if it were a new game

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
It will make a huge difference because it will have missed out on the initial multi-million marketing push the other versions will benefit from and be left to rely on Nintendo solely to push it

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It probably won't unless it launches the same day as Smash or something. If anything it will probably mean there will be a subset of people who will double dip by buying the PS4/XB1 and Switch version, so that's a net positive for FROM.

madjackal

Oct 27, 2017
The percentage of people that were going to buy it on Switch but have now decided to buy it for PS4 or Xbox because of the delay has to be incredibly small. I just can't see a minor delay affecting the Switch version sales much if at all.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see the PS4/PC versions as interchangeable with the Switch versions. If I'm interested in the portable edition, I have to wait.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I think it might still sell pretty well, even better if the delay isn't that long. But I also think it will hurt the sales potential for sure.
The fact that they don't have a new release date yet tells me it's going to be a long delay. Switch owners are getting screwed (yet again).

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Switch ports releasing later doesn't seem to have seriously harmed any Switch ports to date, so my guess is the same will be true for Dark Souls.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it will make many who were choosing between that version and PS4/XBO go with the alternative instead. I was already more or less set on the PS4 (Pro) version, but I wasn't completely sure since portable Souls is pretty enticing. This made my choice easy, and now I'll get the Switch version when it goes on sale if ever.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I've always been planning on double/triple dipping on this one. The Switch version for me is strictly for bed/portable souls novelty. Not cancelling my preorder, I'll just be playing it on PS4/PC until then.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody's freaking out over nothing. If anything this means we'll see more people buy the game twice.

Oct 29, 2017
Hugely. A lot of people who might have gone with the Switch version will likely now go with an alternative version, or might not bother with it at all now; as they wont be part of the new game buzz when it launches.

It's now yet another late port, instead of an exciting new multiplatform release. Especially if it launches alongside something bigger, like Mario Tennis Aces, Octopath Traveller, or (even worse) Smash Bros...

May was a great slot for it, since it had a nice, healthy space all to itself on Switch and filled a niche. Now it has not only lost that nice slot, but it has also lost its luster as an exciting new release. It has also lost the effect of its initial marketing campaign and all the buzz that comes with it. It'll also likely have dropped in price on other consoles by the time it comes out on Switch too. It's a big blunder that'll definitely affect its sales on Switch.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Maybe a little, maybe be a lot, but anyone who says it won't affect sales at all are kidding themselves.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The only real reasons to get the Switch version will still be valid a couple months later.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Unless a great souls like game is shown off at E3 by Nintendo hat blows Dark Souls out of the water. I'd say it'll barely be a blip on this games life time sales

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Hugely. A lot of people who might have gone with the Switch version will likely now go with an alternative version, or might not bother with it at all now; as they wont be part of the new game buzz when it launches.

There's another portable version of Dark Souls to get?

Now it has not only lost that nice slot, but it has also lost its luster as an exciting new release.

Considering how many previously released games seem to be routinely finding new life on the Switch, usually at a higher price point, I think Dark Souls will be fine. And it's a re-release, not exactly the same 'new game smell'.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it really depends on when it releases. the Switch line up kicks into gear around summertime and doesn't let up. but also it's Dark Souls.

all in all it'll probably be fine but they're definitely leaving sales on the table not having it in May before the avalanche.

but maybe they were just getting out of the way of Donkey Kong

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is already being discussed in the original Dark Souls delay thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.