• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
always like when the words "arrogant" and "ignorant" are thrown around in regards to America/Americans, because threads like this are great demonstrations that Europeans can be just as ignorant and arrogant.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
You need to grow up a little. Not sure if that is your intention, but your posts sound like parody almost. Like someone living in an echo chamber would say - pretty much the stereotype of Era.

No whataboutism here. Just stating the reality of our world. Because I came from a country that is great, despite the administration. And have lived in many places, all great, but also with problems with its own problems and complicated histories. That sums up the nature of most of the world - a series of complicated histories. It's not about killing being fine, but it's that if we go by that logic, almost no nation would be worthwhile. And that's just false. A country can be great despite the administration, despite the problematic aspects in its history.

But sure, you want to go ahead and blame all Americas and stand on your podium - go ahead. We can always talk when you're older and matured.

Could you be a little more condescending? And no, not every country has the same "complicated history". Nobody today cares that the Swedes raided the coasts of Europe in the 10th century. We're talking about American violence to people still living and how that shapes the world's perception of the USA.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see the US as a paradox. This country is capable of the best things and the worst at the same time, the only common denominator being : it's ALWAYS profit related.
I can't see any other nation where some of the shit you go through would fly, but as long as there' s money involved life finds a way. A nation of greed is you want.

On one hand US have the "highest highs" like entertainment (movies, tv shows, music, video games...) and technology, on the other hand you also have the "lowest lows" :
- environment : you were never the brightest kid in the class regarding environment, but with your recently elected "CEO" it's even worse than before, congrats
- lobbying : what the hell america, there is no such word as "lobbying", this is just corruption with some makeup and this should not happen. This is probably the first and most crucial step to cleaning your act, as ALMOST all the points I'll be detailing are related to this
- weapons : everything's been said and done about this one
- religion : I can't think of a single good thing religion has done to your country.
- health care system : "well, surely there's some profit to be made there too ?" - inventor of the US health-care system, probably
- university : see heatlh care
- military spending : no comment
- obesity : no comment
- gerrymandering : Hillary Clinton LOST with 2.8 millions more vote. Explain in which universe this sentence make sense.
- Florida : why ?

But in the end, and despite how I sound I don't hate americans, just america the system as a whole, the land of greed, legal corruption and hypocrisy.
I think the majority of americans are fine people, but a very vocal minority is tarnishing your reputation as a whole to the rest of us.

You forgot one paradox: science and other intellectual pursuits. The US has incredible homegrown brains (and foreign brains from the brain drain, true) and talents, yet at the same time some of the stupidest, most backwards-thinking people imaginable. I'm from France, and we've got our fair share of idiots to be sure, but in what universe does a president or prime minister get away with the kind of childish, asinine tweets Donald Trump gets a pass for? Everytime he tweets something, I'm like "even our dumbest politicians would never write this at any time, let alone if they were president". But I guess speaking to the uneducated in the most... uneducated way possible is an effective strategy. Personally I just call that demagogy of the most shameless order, but whatever.

Clix

Banned
Could you be a little more condescending? And no, not every country has the same "complicated history". Nobody today cares that the Swedes raided the coasts of Europe in the 10th century. We're talking about American violence to people still living and how that shapes the world's perception of the USA.

If that is what you find condescending, then I feel bad for you *shrugs*

Sorry, but if people are going to make really insulting generalizations and insults to to its people. And also my experience that the Era bubble is hardly representative of anything. And yes, almost every country does. And after America, another will take its place and so on and so on.

But if posters are going to insult with gross generalizations of Americans instead of its issues with the administration, then this thread is pointless and needs to be moderated better.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
You need to grow up a little. Not sure if that is your intention, but your posts sound like parody almost. Like someone living in an echo chamber would say - pretty much the stereotype of Era.

No whataboutism here. Just stating the reality of our world. Because I came from a country that is great, despite the administration. And have lived in many places, all great, but also with problems with its own problems and complicated histories. That sums up the nature of most of the world - a series of complicated histories. It's not about killing being fine, but it's that if we go by that logic, almost no nation would be worthwhile. And that's just false. A country can be great despite the administration, despite the problematic aspects in its history.

But sure, you want to go ahead and blame all Americas and stand on your podium - go ahead. We can always talk when you're older and matured.
You are the one claiming that America is great. I don't see what's so great about all those things I mentioned. The one that holds a naive view of the world is you.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If that is what you find condescending, then I feel bad for you *shrugs*
I love how you react with a condescending response like that. Amazing.

I agree that people can be too harsh on Americans, but I'd hardly call the place great in its current state. The government, police violence, homicide rates and gun violence, medical system, workers rights, there is so much bad stuff there.
How awful does a place have to be before it stops being great?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You honestly with a straight face believe the US is the least racist white majority country when every other day another black guy gets gunned down just for being black? Really? Or an old lady cutting flowers with a kitchen knife.
I think its best to ask Black people that have spent substantial time in both the US and other White majority nations for the comparison.

Racism manifests itself differently depending on the locality, and which place is "worse" may not always be the intuitive answer. European institutions may not be as violent as US ones but I'm sure the daily normalized subtleties and negativity that comes with being Black in a White nation will be similar.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
You people are loud.

This tbh.

To answer the thread question, it's very hard to look at nearly 50% of Americans voting for Trump and coming away from that with "it's just the government, not the people!".

Another thing that gets me is the insane patriotism that I don't think anywhere else in the world comes close to matching. As someone living in the UK, we have a fair amount of that ourselves, but we luckily have a good chunk of others who moan and complain about it to balance it out.

I don't dislike Americans generally on principle or anything; I have some family there and I've visited multiple times, and it's always been very lovely, both in the people we meet and in the scenery (NC is stunning). I also know some lovely people online from the US. Though there is a huge list of problems that others have pointed out in this thread, and you can't help but come to the conclusion that America is so backwards on a lot of policies and beliefs, it's kind of ridiculous.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Rally 'round the flag effect. Truly highlights American arrogance. I want America to burn to the ground just as much as I want China and Russia to burn.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho

you are the one who literally said he wanted America to burn to the ground, apparently based around some "rally around the flag" effect(whatever that is). Don't you see how irrational that is? I don't know what kind of fanaticism that is but it's just as unhealthy if not more so than "American fanaticism".

also you are definitely being as arrogant right now as you say Americans are. Ignorant as well.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

you are the one who literally said he wanted America to burn to the ground, apparently based around some "rally around the flag" effect(whatever that is). Don't you see how irrational that is? I don't know what kind of fanaticism that is but it's just as unhealthy if not more so than "American fanaticism".
Again, I'm talking figuratively. I'm not calling for the mass extermination of a populace.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
well maybe think about the things you say before you say them, which is what my point about you being arrogant is referring to. Especially when you say things as extreme as that.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Nah for the most part a lot of the Americans I encounter are good people. But holy shit the odd shitbirds that I do encounter are far and away the biggest self entitled assholes I've ever encountered. Luckily those are few and far in-between.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough to change them, people need to stop buying American things, then maybe America will wisen up to their stupidity.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
They don't like your government, but I don't think they have any strong feelings towards everyday Americans.
Yeah, OP you're taking this shit way too personally. You didn't cause any of the issues you listed so stop acting like it's your fault they exist. Hell, the typical American citizen can't even be held responsible for Trump; that one's on the Electoral College to a large extent.

Plenty of people hate plenty of countries/governments without actually hating the people that live there. There's a big difference between the two.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Not enough to change them, people need to stop buying American things, then maybe America will wisen up to their stupidity.
15102.jpg

works on a few different levels

Clix

Banned
I love how you react with a condescending response like that. Amazing.

I agree that people can be too harsh on Americans, but I'd hardly call the place great in its current state. The government, police violence, homicide rates and gun violence, medical system, workers rights, there is so much bad stuff there.
How awful does a place have to be before it stops being great?

It's not condescending. Just appropriate response to knee jerk or immature responses I am seeing here. There;s imperfect stuff here, for sure, doesn't make it not a great country overall. A lot of what you mention is also a bit hyperbolic the way you're making it seem. It's pretty safe overall.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont dislike america as a whole. Only the idiots who vote for politicians that are downright insane, or behave like it at the least. It's no different than how I also dislike the idiots in my own country that vote for the far right political parties. The difference is that actions of the american idiots impact the world far more than the idiots in my own tiny country of Denmark.

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stop acting like you're the good guys when you're destroying other countries for your own benefit and then we can talk.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am fine with most everyday Americans. Like all countries it is the assholes I do not like, that currently includes your current administration.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I don't dislike American people. I've travelled to and have had great times in the US. particularly in California and NYC.

I do dislike the American government and some of the cultural traits that are very obnoxious: "AMERICA IS #1 (except when showing hard facts but I screamed it so it must be true)!"

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with American people in general. Most are normal people that you'd find anywhere. The current administration and its supporters are fucking disgusting, but I don't assume that the average American subscribes to that shit.

It's the ones that loudly proclaim stereotypical American attitudes that bother me. The ones that loudly talk about how they're the best and that they're always right because they're American, or think that saying "yeah, but the US army can kick your country's ass" is a valid counterargument to any disagreement. But again, I recognize that those are the minority, and that the average American that I meet on the street isn't like that.

Bromancer

Oct 30, 2017
>Electing Trump, healthcare, Trump, obesity, Trump, racism and of course Trump.

If you think this is why people don't like America then you will have A LOT of reading and learning to do. Jesus, healthcare and obesity? Why would someone not-American care about that? Racism, well tbh a lot of people in the world are way more racist than Americans nowadays.

And Trump.. you think this is something new to the world? A bad American president?
Great post. All the people in this thread assuming people must hate the US because of Trump really show their ignorance of the outside world. The amount of vile shit the US has done in the past and that is never even acknowledged or discussed in an official capacity is really disturbing. I'm not going to hate on Kaepernick but the fact people are basically taking a knee over Trump is almost as hilarious as the existential crisis this apparently causes in your over-the-top nationalist society. I can think of a hundred better reasons not to want to stand for the American anthem.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Great post. All the people in this thread assuming people must hate the US because of Trump really show their ignorance of the outside world. The amount of vile shit the US has done in the past and that is never even acknowledged or discussed in an official capacity is really disturbing. I'm not going to hate on Kaepernick but the fact people are basically taking a knee over Trump is almost as hilarious as the existential crisis this apparently causes in your over-the-top nationalist society. I can think of a hundred better reasons not to want to stand for the American anthem.
People/Kaepernick weren't taking a knee over Trump. They're taking a knee to protest racial injustice and the killing of black Americans by police. Trump is just another consequence of a much broader and ingrained issue