• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before anyone takes this too seriously, this is more of a thought experiment to get you to think about how much your hobby is worth to you.

Meaning of withdraw from the hobby:

No playing video games for the rest of your life. This includes things like snake on a cellphone or electronic approximations of real life games (poker, chess, crosswords etc).

No taking part in discussions on video games or things relating to video games (ie: Gamergate). Real life, in person, on this forum. No watching it via Twitch or YouTube. No collecting games - if you have a collection, it's liquidated at market value and you get that money back

If you work in the industry, you quit immediately. You can continue to be friends with people involved in games though.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
25 million dollars. Roughly.

I'd need a ton of money to travel the world and find a new passion to replace the one that has been with me for 7/8ths if my life.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Video Games are kinda one of the only things that makes life enjoyable to me, none lol.

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting thought exercise.

I love video games and it's one of the things I'm most passionate about so I don't think I'd take money to take gaming out of my life. Or if I had too, It'd be Jeff Bezos type of money (meaning I'd have to be the richest man on the planet for me to quit gaming).

Ever

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"One Million Dollars"

dr.-evil-million-dollar-term-policy-300x241.jpg

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't think I'd accept any amount of money to completely withdraw from gaming. I mean, if I had that kind of money, then I'd have all of the free time that I wanted, and I'd need something to fill it with. Even my life ambitions involve video games in some fashion.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure, with a large enough amount of money that I could retire...I'd be left pretty bored.
I'd miss my favorite franchises too

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
honestly 500 thousand to give up gaming for me , if it was anime&manga than they would have to pay me 10 million

GoronsRuby

Oct 27, 2017
They would have to set up a trust fund to take care of my children for the rest of their lives - Living expenses, mortgages, education and retirement. But then my children wouldn't know the value of hard work so i guess I'll keep playing games.

MistuhDari

Oct 25, 2017
Enough to make it seem like the time I've spent over my entire life and the possible future on the hobby has been compensated handsomely. As you really can't put a price tag on memories, time, or just plain fun, I don't think I can answer this question.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$100k

I've been increasingly less interested in gaming over the years. Before I'd be able to play 12 hours a day with friends but now I'm lucky if I get maybe 1-2 hours every few days. Could be the depression but not sure. Haven't talked to anybody.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
All the money in the world can't make me stop doing the thing I enjoy. Then I would have all that money and would be lamenting the fact that I could not partake in my hobby.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I'm gonna settle for about $10 million or so. It'd be hard to let go of video games, but I can reasonably go back to my pre-video game hobby, reading and writing fiction.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Giving up on your hobby for money? Yeah I did that already 15 years ago when I took on this job.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, no thanks. I don't need more money than it takes to be comfortable, which I already make, and missing out on my favorite hobby forever sounds like a total bummer. I enjoy work and I enjoy school, I have the money I need to buy the games/books/etc. that I want so money isn't really of interest to me if it gives me lots of free time but takes away one of my favorite ways to spend it.

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
About $10 million probably. Games are pretty important to my mental health and personal time, which currently balances my imminent introduction into a particularly stressful job. I'd need enough money to revise my career plans to something significantly less intense (and probably with less earnings) as well as in order to fund whatever replacement hobby I can discover.

Afr0bandit

Oct 29, 2017
I couldn't do it. Over 20 years of gaming that I can remember and still consistently blown away by what game developers can do. It's my favourite entertainment medium and I don't think that'll ever change!

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Even if you gave me 10 million to give up video games, first thing I'd probably want to do with that money is buy video games lol. It's not a hobby I see myself quitting any time soon

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Money enough to live well without needing to work and I drop this hobby. I can still watch anime and movies, read stuff and maybe I could take up a sport to practice (cycling looks fun).

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
No amount. For better and worse there are games that have shaped who I am and to reject them would be to lose part of myself.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
To drop it entirely? Millions.

If you told me that I couldn't ever buy a new game again and could only play ones I already have, and that I could still continue to develop games? Much, much lower - I'd probably take as low as $10k.

Vagger

Oct 29, 2017
It would have to be a lot of money, enough to spend all of it on a replacement hobby :P

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
All the money!
I'm 41, I've been gaming since the early 80s, I have a family, kids and wife love gaming as well, gaming is really not a problem anymore, I'll never quit as long as I'm physically able to keep playing.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Enough for me to fund my even bigger interest: the world of film.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
For me, it would be a fairly trivial amount. $2-$5k, perhaps? The opportunity cost of the time I have spent and will spend on games depresses me; it doesn't even feel like the most efficient use of my leisure time. A proper incentive to drop it entirely would be nice, and I have many other hobbies I value more.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This is a conundrum.

What I would want to do with millions of dollars = spend my time playing video games.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Completely honest. I'd like to say "no amount", but wonder if I would change my tune with a check for a hefty sum in my hand and my young daughter by my side reminding me what REALLY matters.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't need money, just enough friends to stop needing to replace people with video games :(
And then a million dollars on top of that.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
No amount of money would make me stop. Not that I play a lot of games or anything but gaming is a great way for me to relieve stress and even if I were to accept a large amount of money, I'd still try and squeeze in a sesh.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely honest. I'd like to say "no amount", but wonder if I would change my tune with a check for a hefty sum in my hand and my young daughter by my side reminding me what REALLY matters.

I don't have a kid but I could definitely put a price on my hobbies for one. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of people saying no amount of money. You're talking about generational wealth that sets up your family for multiple generations.

Deleted member 7529

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No amount of money would be worth it.

Video games have helped me through a lot of dark times, and I can't imagine a future where I give up that hobby.