• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
The minute i sold my entire collection, i don't think i'll play videogame ever again. Just a couple of 10k should be enough...

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm hard one. To give up video games... £10 million. Then live off of the interest. Start a business.
When I stopped gaming for 4 months, my guitar skills improved drastically lol
Since playing more since D2 came out, guitar is at the side and picked up whilst things load or waiting for the next round to start...

mocoworm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I honestly don't think I could live the rest of my life without playing video games. I would go into it with the best of intentions but I would be secret gaming on the side within weeks.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
it's not even about video games at this point. you are talking about removing a piece of my personality for money?

Nah bruh. No amount of money for you to essentially alter who I am.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a lot, I'd just find another hobby especially with that money. I barely even care about new games anymore. So, 10 Million (I won't start this negotiation with a low ball figure).

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I guess enough to afford a lawyer who could get me out of the agreement while keeping my money.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphygmssv.gif

Honest answer:

It would have to be a lot. Millions, so i could live my life without my favourite hobby for the next 50 years. That's a lot of time i would need to fill with something not nearly as satisfying.

I want to say yes but Half Life 3 will come out after I do.

Then you know what has to be done.

For the greater good.

We salute your sacrifice... and have a great ol' time with HL3.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
$2,500,000.00 after taxes. That should produce somewhere between $100,000 to $125,000 annual returns on conservative investments so I could stop working and afford to do a variety of other things I enjoy. I'd probably buy an RV and hit all the national parks, get into woodworking, and spend much of the winter reading and writing.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Man, some of you are quite pricey. I'd probably cop out for 100-200 grand. I love gaming, but I could always find another hobby for the right price ;)

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
A ton of money, like something to take care of my family for generations. I love video games, but my and my kids future would trump it no doubt.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
$1 billion dollars. I would have to get a new group of friends since I can't even talk about games. Done with handhelds and everything else. No more CE's ever. Never renew my sub to WoW again. It would eventually lead to selling all my gaming stuff since I can't play it anymore. Never log into any digital accounts including Steam, GoG, Uplay, Battlenet, etc. Yeah, I would probably need several new hobbies.

AleSatan

Oct 26, 2017
Narth Curralinaa
Haha, personally, this is something I'd be more likely to pay someone to take away from me! I love having a casual relationship with games, but I often wonder how much better off I'd be if I read books and went outside more than I do. I guess I'd probably have to pay somebody to take TV and hockey from me too though.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to avoid Era too? Or at least the gaming side. Nah, couldn't do it. I don't play much anymore but I like keeping my ear to the ground. If I could keep in touch without directly playing, then I'd consider a vast amount of money.

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
Tough call. I do have other interests but there will no doubt be some exciting technological advancements in the future (VR/AR etc...). I guess it would take a reasonably hefty sum to pass on what is yet to come while fully supporting my other interests. Ill say a couple million.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
No amount probably. I wouldn't even know what to spend it on. I don't have expensive habits, don't particularly enjoy travelling, don't need a larger house, don't want children and I really don't like cars, so most of the stuff people to spend tons of money on is out of the picture. I also don't hate my job, so more money adds nothing to my life, while games still do. I also watch quite a bit of pro dota on the side and having to abandon that as well... it's just too much.

Hmm, maybe I could spend a couple of billions on a green resistance kind of thing. But I wouldn't take the money for myself.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
If you had asked me 5 years ago when I was mostly playing Counter Strike alongside whatever the online multiplayer darling of the moment was, I could probably be tempted.

Nowadays I'm following the communities around single player games, waiting for the GOTY edition and just buying and playing one good game after another and I'm having a consistently rewarding experience. I wouldn't trade that for money.

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enough billions to make rocket ships and fly them to mars and beyond. That would be a worthwhile occupation while not playing/making games.

Otherwise no, games are both my passion and profession, even as a millionaire I wouldn't be able to resist going back to it.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
There are things money can buy, like love -but taking away all my (future) games, no amount of money would be enough for that.

Without games there can be no life.

Recluse

Oct 25, 2017
About five million pounds.
I'm mostly a games collector these days.
So I'd just focus on my other non gaming collections.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
*Glances at student loans*

Um, that much.

No, I'd probably take some sum of money to quit video games for life, but I'm not sure how much. I have other interests that could fit into the time spent with games. They don't consume my thoughts/life like they used to.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Millions, I spend quite a lot of time gaming and I think the sort of things to replace that time for similar enjoyment would be expensive.

Otto

Oct 28, 2017
Enough to spend a year travelling around.. I'd estimate around $100K would suffice.

silver moose

Oct 27, 2017
I can't honestly put a pricetag on this.

The experiences, memories, fun....they're just not something I can assign a monetary value to, especially now that my son is slowly becoming more and more interested in games.

This is a pretty clear case of no amount of money could buy gaming from me. Without a chance to escape in a game from time to time, I'd be a real jerk I imagine.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not much, maybe 10k or something. There are a bazillion other hobbies I could take up instead.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming is my main form of relaxtion so no amount of money would be worth it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked this question on Neogaf years ago and only a minority of people said no amount of money was worth dropping the hobby. On here it seems to be the overwhelming answer.

Not trying to insult any one here but I wonder if the people saying "No amount of money is worth it." have other hobbies. For me personally, martial arts, yoga, rock climbing, travel, motorcycles are all viable replacements for games. I could easily find ways to fill my free time.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Video games bring me happiness so I'd be giving up on happiness for money? What is the point then?
I have only one life and I don't want to spend it without video games. I'm been very honest here.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know if I would give up something that has been my hobby since I was 4. I think maybe if I got an amount to live comfortably for the rest of my life and be able to do whatever I wanted maybe I would stop and watch movies and TV.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No money would be worth it. Gaming is my no.1 hobby and not because of escapism or some shit.

Its legitimately the best form of entertainment and I'd never give it up.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Bare minimum? Pay any and all bills I owe--student loans, etc. Slightly further up? That, plus a house in the location of my choice, and a car of my choice.

And realistically, all that plus about ten mil. Like, for the rest of my life? So that means if the inevitable day comes that someone makes a Justice League open world game I can't play it? That's a lot of happiness I'd have to give up so it's gotta be worth it.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
There's a certain amount of money that I would probably feel morally obligated to go for. $10 billion would be enough for the people I care about most to live their lives carefree, keep myself comfortable for a lifetime, and have a huge chunk of change to make a positive difference in the world. Part of me might regret the decision but I would feel awful if every videogame I played for the rest carried the weight of other people's misfortune.

However... if we were talking for purely selfish reasons, there's no amount of money that would sway me. Sure, I could carry on my dream of writing a novel with ease, eat gourmet meals every night, and invest in other forms of entertainment like movies and television, but it would all feel like a consolation prize. I'd much rather live a modest life where I can only do those things here and there than give up the hobby I enjoy the most.