shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
For most of my life I've found the concept of national pride pretty ridiculous. For one, I had no choice over the place where I was born, and for two, I'm British, and we have a pretty horrid history as it is.

I just don't really like tribalism as a concept and so the idea of being proud of being my nationality has never really appealed to me.

That said, I have enjoyed the feeling of optimism and togetherness of the World Cup the last few weeks. It's been fun having this sense of collective hopefulness even if England just died on their arse.

I have quite a multi-cultural group of friends so I appreciate that national identity means a lot to people, but outside of these special events it largely means absolutely nothing to me.

I'm just curious for some perspective and insight I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like my country (Canada) but I don't use my citizenship to define my existence and identity.

Dec 28, 2017
I utterly despise my country and most things about it. If any Russian accounts are reading this I will happily spy on the UK for you. Sow discord. Anything. I'm dead serious.
I have no loyalty to this place in the slightest.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think Canada as a piece of land on the Earth is OK but as a national identity I don't think it's that great at all. If anything I could probably be tried for treason for my constant insulting of the country.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
None. I too find the concept of it ridiculous, and seeing right wing assholery and dumbfuckery on the rise around here in Sweden guarantees that won't change. Kuken.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Given that i've come to say "FUCK America" near daily at this point, I'd say none.

Also: FUCK America.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
None and all this flag whoring with Trump supporters is tacky as fuck, especially when you've never seen them whore the flag when anyone else was president.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The hyper-proud Americans are pretty much all the conservative trumpsters, so less and less these days. Love the world cup, but USA is my secondary team with Italy being my primary (great tournament for us huh)

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
only with sports tbh, and only really because it's fun to get caught up in the banter of it all.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have pride in being from the West. Specifically American. The ideas of the West with respect to democracy, freedom, the rule of law, are all worthwhile to be proud of. Im not a dick about it. All countries and all people bring something important to the tapestry of this crazy world.

I recognize the current political climate, but like all storms, it will pass so long as the West continues to rededicate itself to freedom and democracy.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A lot actually, I'm very patriotic. But Canadian patriotism is more detached from conservatism traditionalism then it is in the US.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
IncompatibleDeadEmu-max-1mb.gif

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I am proud of my local community, but I'm sort of indifferent towards my country on a national level

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
None, and I think nobody should feel pride for their country. Feel proud of your own deeds.

And FWIW there are no wholly moral nations, but I do not think the U.S. is doing anywhere near as much good for humanity as it could.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the US, but I'm so skeptical of anyone that thinks the only way to show patriotism is to be completely on the nose about it.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
I could live in worse places. I'm considerably less proud of my country than I have been in some time, but overall I've been incredibly privileged to grow up and live in a country with a high standard of living and opportunity compared to many other options. Both my government and many of my fellow citizens are completely fucked up and doing their best to be their worst at the moment, so it's difficult to express much positive pride.

elseanio

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Not patriotic at all. Proud of the city I am from though (Liverpool).

I have Irish and Spanish heritage, so maybe that adds to it.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
None. I was born here against my will and I'll die somewhere against my will (I guess), I see nothing to be proud of in any of that.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have state and territory pride(basically Guam and Hawaii) dunno about national.

Currently in the west coast(Washington) though and it's pretty nice.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'm proud of the concept of America if limited to it being a liberal republic democracy with no royalty, but in terms of how we function, not at all with Trump. I was proud that we managed to elect Obama twice, though.

Dec 2, 2017
I like the UK, I like Ireland. I wouldn't define myself by my feelings of affection for them though, places are always a mix of good and bad.