• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How Much Will Xbox Series X Cost?

• $399

Votes: 87 4.9%
  • $449

Votes: 88 4.9%
  • $499

Votes: 1,102 61.8%
  • $549

Votes: 166 9.3%
  • $599

Votes: 281 15.8%
  • $649

Votes: 18 1.0%
  • $699+

Votes: 42 2.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious as to why some people are thinking Microsoft will charge $599 whereas Sony will charge $499. If they are within spitting distance, spec wise, I don't see Microsoft charging an extra $100. They will match Sony no matter what.
If the X lands at 12TF and the PS5 is sitting at ~9TF I could see there being a $100 price difference. Time will tell!

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that wouldn't really be "spitting distance." That is a 3TF difference which I don't see happening. If anything they will probably be within 1TF or less of one another.
There's a lot of whispers out there that the PS5 is indeed under 10TF. But again, we won't know until it's official. Exciting times.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If the X lands at 12TF and the PS5 is sitting at ~9TF I could see there being a $100 price difference. Time will tell!
Phil said they will have the most powerful box next gen… I'm assuming that's no matter the price. So I think it's safe to say that Series X could be more expensive despite the PS5's price/power.

PS5 will be a good machine, but it won't be cheaper than the next gen Xbox (Lockheart) nor more powerful (Series X).

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I personally dont think 600 is too much to ask for, but people here seem to entirely disregard the realities of inflation (500 in 2006 is 600 in 2019), so I guess we'll see. If Lockhart is really only 4TF, then it will prob only be 300.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
In backyard countries like Australia and New Zealand this thing will cost a bomb due to shipping rates. Its not like you'd be able to get as many SeX consoles in a box compared to a Bone, plus the weight. I'm still sore that the PS2 launched at something close to $800usd after conversion (was $1200nzd compared to current prices of PS4 Pro or One X at around $600—650nzd)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that wouldn't really be "spitting distance." That is a 3TF difference which I don't see happening. If anything they will probably be within 1TF or less of one another.
Even with 3TF difference they may be in a "spitting distance" with how things are now. Teraflops aren't that important really.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
449 - 499. Going on the specs it won't be super cheap but they can't make it too expensive either.

Microsoft make lots of money on Xbox Live / Game Pass subscriptions + software sales, so they will (or should) take a hit on the hardware to make it as cheap as they can, so more people buy it.

Same goes for PS5, with Sony making lots of money on PS+ / PS Now subs + software sales.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I think the inclusion of Lockhart allows them to price the premium model at 600 (or at least 550). I just can't see these specs going for less than that.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
$499. They'll take a loss on the console sale, make it up in software.
With Gamepass? Serious question.
I agree with the $499, but I don't see them making it back in software so easily. For now they are just interested in burning money to get market share. It will be a long time investment and great for the customer.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
499 and probably be bundled with 3 months of GPU. Seems logical they would push their best system with their best services.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is no way this will be more than 499. Yes that will be quite the loss, but MS ain't taking no risks and so is Sony.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
With Gamepass? Serious question.
I agree with the $499, but I don't see them making it back in software so easily. For now they are just interested in burning money to get market share. It will be a long time investment and great for the customer.
Not just GamePass. Remember they take a cut out of every piece of software sold on their digital store and whatever is on a shelf and whatever products they license for the system. It's a lot of money. If I sell you this box and take lets say a.. $200 loss on the box itself then I'll prooobably come out as a positive in most cases. If you have GamePass Ultimate for a couple of years, that's already $360 right there. Not direct profit but still money back. Plus 20-30% off of whatever games you happen to buy with the console and the extra controller you need because your first one breaks or unlike me you have friends and family who want to play with you... It adds up pretty quickly. Now apply that over the course of 6 years and you can see where the money adds up again.

GamePass will almost certainly be their biggest money maker heading into next gen, though.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Microsoft can have it as 499 with losses, the industry is moving to services so the loss per hardware in the beginning of the gen doesn't matter as much as it did previously. But I have a feeling that Microsoft is already losing money with Game Pass as a way of securing players to move to the Series X because they already bought cheap subscription for the future... let's see.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Phil said they will have the most powerful box next gen… I'm assuming that's no matter the price. So I think it's safe to say that Series X could be more expensive despite the PS5's price/power.

PS5 will be a good machine, but it won't be cheaper than the next gen Xbox (Lockheart) nor more powerful (Series X).

Phil said on stage at the Game Awards, Series X is the most powerful Xbox, playing it safe because they still aren't sure which way it will go, especially when lots of insiders recently have been saying PS5 had the edge when it came to power.

I don't think there will be much between PS5 and Series X tbh. I think they will both be around 12TFlops and around the same price.

Lockhart will be the cheapest option, when it's available / if it's real, of course

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Depends on whether the lower-spec model releases on day one. If Series X is the only Xbox system being released on day one, then I can't imagine Microsoft pricing it above $499.99. If Series S or whatever is available on the same day, then I could imagine Microsoft pricing the Series S at $399.99 and the Series X at $599.99, though. Assuming that Sony doesn't have a second system planned right out of the gate, I honestly expect next gen to be similar to current gen in that Microsoft will cover both the low end and the high end of performance, while Sony will be somewhere in the middle. While I don't think Sony would ever pull another $599.99, I also can't imagine Sony pricing PlayStation 5 any lower than $449.99 with these specs at launch.

That said, I do think Microsoft has an edge with All Access, because the overall price of the console matters less when people can pay in installments.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's going to be $499.99 w/tax, guaranteed.

Microsoft aren't going to take a big loss off of each Xbox Series X console sold, not unless it's really necessary to undercut Sony.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I think selling a $399 1080p console and a $599 4K console is suicide. If you're going to go through the effort of convincing people that a 1080p or 1440p console is something worth considering the price has to be noteworthy and $399 isn't, especially if the competition comes in at $499 and is significantly better than your $399 system and as close as to make no difference to the $499 system.

MS happily launched not just the OG Xbox One but the One S and One X at $499. It's a price point they're comfortable with.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
$600 would be waaaaay too much. That would be like $800 CAD. I would never pay that much. Would definitely just stick to my One X.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
$499 is already an insane price, MS really needs to hit $399.99 or $449.99 absolute max (and there better be a pack in game). I think posters are forgetting your average gamer isn't an enthusiast who posts on video game forums all day - mass market penetration price has to be lower than $500 IMO.