• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kellar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benghazi, Libya.
So i found this blazer earlier that's approximately 200 dollars and i really want it but that's alot of money for a blazer.
Its so good but i already spend most of my money on clothes and this would just feed that addiction(clothes r awesome tho)
The most expensive thing i have bought this year was a bomber jacket for like a 100 and i have barely worn it.
ive bought almost 15 Tshirts and 6 pants just in the summer but not alot this winter besides getting some of the pants tailored to tailored fit and 3 dress shirts.

How much do you guys spend on clothing ? how far would you go on a single item ?

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
200 ain't that much to spend on a good blazer (it is good right? post link). join the dark side.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
If I feel like it's worth investing and it's not a seasonal item, I would gladly pay $200 for a blazer. Otherwise, I wait until it goes on sale.

It really does take me a while for me to buy expensive clothing. I recently bought some nice boots from Johnston and Murphy that were $200 on sale.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on income level, relative quality and convenience.

I'm trying to rationalise buying this:
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/leo...ather-jackets-by-magnoli-clothiers-p-353.html
extra-image-842.jpg

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
The most I spent was $45 for a dress and for shoes it was $50. I think the most expensive clothing I have (gift) is an $80 jacket.
I don't like spending a lot of money on clothes, thrift shops are the way to go.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A fucking lot. Probably, 4k a year on myself alone.

Too tall and drastic weight loss throughout the year means most of. The custom made suits in my closet do not fit me!

(And I do not trust my weight loss to where I won't be needing fat and extra fat suits again!)

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not much, I buy clothes once every year.
I just spent about $500 and that's all for the year, my sister spends nearly that much a month.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$200 for a nice blazer doesn't sound too unreasonable, although I wouldn't pay it myself (mainly because I very rarely wear such things).

But my limits in general:
Shoes: $200
Jeans: $200
Sweater/hoodie/etc: $50
Shirt: $50
T-shirt: $30

I'm the kind of person who really only buys clothes when I "need to", so it's a pretty small part of my budget. I just think shopping for clothes is boring as shit.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'd ever spend $100 or more for is shoes. And even then I just stick to stuff like Vans and Reebok these days.

OP
OP
kellar

kellar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benghazi, Libya.
200 ain't that much to spend on a good blazer (it is good right? post link). join the dark side.
It was at a store and i can't really find anything similar online which hurts, it just felt so good when i tried it like it was hugging me with love.
If you spend most of your money on clothes, you should probably step back and reevaluate some of your finances
It is either clothes or junk food and im never going back to obesity days.
I'm just bad with money sadly.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
A lot, but I'm in financial services business and meet clients regularly.

Although I do the same for my casual clothes. I like being dressed well.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I spent $150 on a pair of shoes once.

For a shirt I don't think I could ever spend over $50, and even for that I'd have to be crazy about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Always buy quality, quality tends to be quite pricey.

Buy it if your finances allow it, if you end not using it enough, you can always donate it.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i can justify paying more for coats, jackets, boots but really don't see the point in spending more than 100 on pants or shirts

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot, but I'm in financial services business and meet clients regularly.

Although I do the same for my casual clothes. I like being dressed well.

Well = expensive-looking?

Nah, but I don't think you necessarily have to spend a ton to look nice. I don't work in a field where you're expected to look like a wealthy businessman though, thank god. I intend never to put myself in that position.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$200 on a blazer is fine, if it's a quality piece and you'll wear it often enough. I spend about $70 on button down, $80-$200 on shoes, $20 on t-shirts, $60-80 on chinos. Basically J Crew prices.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get my clothes from Primark as my budget is about £20-30 on clothes, so I can get multiple clothes on the cheap.

You don't need to spend a lot to get quality clothes.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't mind spending money for some quality clothes, bought some Common Project chelsea boots recently and the quality on those is fantastic.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
"clothes are a waste of money" -- someone who has LEDs in their mechanical keyboard and 12 GPUs farming fake money, probably.

Oct 25, 2017
As little as possible. My work jeans should last a year and a half, minimum. Work shirts about the same. So thats 100-130 every other year on work clothes. Then maybe a 100 a year on everything else, not including socks and undergarments. Shoes, 30 or 40 a year, tops. Jackets, a decent winter one will run me about 90 and last me 5 or 6 years. A summer hoodie will set me back about 30 bucks and last 2 or 3 years.

Money is better spent places other than the clothing section.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends, if it is handmade with locally sourced materials, not shipped around the world and no child labor involved, a lot. If its all of that, no matter how it looks, a lot less.
I have 400$ boots, a 1000$ leather jacket and a 400$ backpack (like the most basic looking Rucksack lol) but its "worth it" since I'll try to wear these items out to their max.
If a company shows that its willing to work towards a better way of producing things and is very transparent about what they do (for example Patagonia ) they will get my money even if their stuff might not be as fashionable as competing products.

Never understood how one could go buy a 5$ shirt at H&M and live with the fact that children suffered for this piece of clothing :(

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Usually spend $100-$200 every 2-3 months or so, outside of a few fluctuations here and there. A $200 Blazer isnt outrageous, as long as it is well made, will last a long time, and is versatile enough to where you won't be limited to just a few outfit combinations.

Depends on income level, relative quality and convenience.

I'm trying to rationalise buying this:
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/leo...ather-jackets-by-magnoli-clothiers-p-353.html
extra-image-842.jpg

You heading to Spain to rescue the President's daughter, or what?

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
As I have gotten older I actually spend less and less on clothes. I don't dress like a slob but I am also not trying to impress anyone either.

If it's your kind of thing it isn't really a waste but if it was me I would pass.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Nah, but I don't think you necessarily have to spend a ton to look nice. I don't work in a field where you're expected to look like a wealthy businessman though, thank god. I intend never to put myself in that position.

I generally buy a few brands I like and I make sure the materials and fit are excellent. They probably look expensive to people who wear similar clothes. To others, I don't really know.
I tend to avoid clothes with large brand stickers. I find that type of status seeking appalling.

Cat Pee

Oct 25, 2017
I spend a decent amount on specific pieces that catch my attention and are high-quality. I don't mind buying used for those pieces either, as their high-end nature beckons the owner to take good care of them to begin with. I've spent $200 on a denim jacket, $250 on a (real) suede varsity jacket, $160 on an all-wool cardigan, $100-200 on sneakers with solid rubber-cup outsoles, $100 on loopwheeled/nice sweats, etc. For basic shirting, I just buy J.Crew on sale (usually $25-40) per shirt. For pants, GAP chinos whenever they run 50% off and an occasional pair of raw denim when needed. T-shirts, I just buy lightly used for fancy stuff, or get the cheap $7 fast fashion ones.

All of the high-end stuff has gone strong for years. My oldest pair of sneakers has lasted daily wear through 3 Minnesota winters and an ungodly amount of road salt, and I can still probably keep wearing them daily for another year or two if I hadn't already bought a replacement.

If I feel like it's worth investing and it's not a seasonal item, I would gladly pay $200 for a blazer. Otherwise, I wait until it goes on sale.

It really does take me a while for me to buy expensive clothing. I recently bought some nice boots from Johnston and Murphy that were $200 on sale.

Could've gone the slight extra distance and bought Meermins/Red Wings for that price.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Never over $100 unless it's for a suit or sports jacket type clothing.

I have a Ralph Lauren outlet store near me so I tend to shop there for most of my clothing and prices are usually pretty good. But I only buy clothes when I need them, not if I want them.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I don't dress like a slob but I am also not trying to impress anyone either.

If it's your kind of thing it isn't really a waste but if it was me I would pass.

This is pretty much me. I hate spending money on clothes. I do a lot of my shopping at Banana Republic and buy stuff when it's on sale. I was there a couple weeks ago and saw a nice gray coat that I really liked and was 50% off, but it was still like $180 and I balked.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
I always go through phases where I think "Screw it, I'm gonna buy some quality clothing for myself" but then the moment I check the £80 price tag on a polo shirt I quietly back away and retreat to the comfort of Matalan.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm cheap as fuck when it comes to clothes.

I probably spend like $20-$30 for jeans/shirts and like $100-something for shoes during "buy a pair, get an additional pair half off" sale.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm pretty cheap when it comes to clothes. I have a max amount in my head for certain things.

Hoodie - €60
Shoes - €100
Pants - €50
Shirt - €20

I try not to spend more than that on clothes, and i only spend more if i really need something super nice, or if it's something super specific. I think i spend around 400/500 on clothes a year.

Deleted member 9838

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most expensive item I've bought is a $2450 horsehide leather jacket by Himel Bros' of Canada.

https://himelbros.com/collections/men/products/avro-d-pocket-rider-1939-goat

I feel like you need to spend a decent amount for excellent quality clothes that looks nice and matches your lifestyle. Passed a certain point it's just vanity but it's fine if you enjoy it and aren't judgmental of other people's clothing.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is a hell of a lot easier to ask for someone's money when they think you already have it.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
If you love the look of something and it looks good on you then you should spend what you can afford. If it's well made and you look after it, it's around for a long time.

Mystic Vivi

Oct 28, 2017
$200 isn't much so just make sure it's a quality piece. Last thing you want is to buy on looks alone only to figure out the quality is subpar.

Good clothes are stupidly expensive. Something I've learned this year.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Well, I have a uniform for work that's paid for, so I don't go regular clothes shopping all that much. When I do, I usually go for casual stuff, like flannels and t-shirts and sneakers. In total I can get a buttload of stuff for $150-$200. I kind of dress like a bum, but I make it work and it fits my "I don't give a fuck" personality. Thrift shops are great.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
excluding sneakers i spent over 1K this year on clothes.

But if you add in sneakers, about $2500 or so this year.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I tend to blow out once a year in the January sales (well Boxing Day sales now). I spent £300 on four suits for work, all of them less than half price. That will keep me going until next year.

I like to look smart at work but I don't want to waste tons of money buying designer or fitted suits just for the office...

Otherwise I buy a few t shirts and jeans every 3 months or so. Nothing major, probably less than £40 per month on average.