• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The most I'll spend on a piece of clothing is $60. Anything more I consider too expensive.
This doesn't take into account shoes though. I'll spend up to $200 or so on a good pair.

Oct 28, 2017
I max out around $100 - $120, even for shoes I rarely want to go over $80 or so. If the blazer is nice enough though, that's one item I could see spoiling myself with. I don't make as much money as I would like to, and would rather have other luxury items than clothing - like speakers, PC parts, or new camera gear.

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
Depends on the clothing, I'm willing to spend up to £200 on an overcoat which will last a while and can be paired with a lot of other clothes. Plain t-shirts it's difficult to justify paying more than £15 when Arket and Uniqlo do excellent quality ones around that pricepoint. Suits up to £400 for a good tailored one from Suitsupply. Then again, if I really like the look of something then I'm fine with going a bit over budget, like this overshirt from Reiss recently which I had to get

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I dress like I'm homeless, so I guess not that much. I have people around me trying to buy me clothes causes I won't buy them myself. I just don't see or feel the need to get better clothes.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy new clothes until the ones I have fall apart. So probably under $200 a year with a major purchase like jackets, suits every few years.

Aside from rent, food is my biggest expense.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I hate buying clothes, and usually just go to a thrift store. The only pieces I'll put a bit of money towards are shoes, coat, and pants.

I've been needing new shoes for well over a year, though, been using the same jacket since 2006 (bought a winter coat for $100 a couple years ago), and just recently ripped my jeans. I just keep delaying the inevitable.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
The only things I'd ever consider spending triple digits on are suits and maybe shoes. Key is to always look around. Thrift stores and online sales sites will save your life

Oct 27, 2017
Not counting buying clothes for my kids I'd say around $150 a year. Most of my clothes last years and I'm pretty casually dressed so...

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I dress like I'm homeless, so I guess not that much. I have people around me trying to buy me clothes causes I won't buy them myself. I just don't see or feel the need to get better clothes.

You can find nice stuff in consignment shops and thrift stores. There's a time and effort element, but you don't have to spend money to look decent.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the clothing, I'm willing to spend up to £200 on an overcoat which will last a while and can be paired with a lot of other clothes. Plain t-shirts it's difficult to justify paying more than £15 when Arket and Uniqlo do excellent quality ones around that pricepoint. Suits up to £400 for a good tailored one from Suitsupply. Then again, if I really like the look of something then I'm fine with going a bit over budget, like this overshirt from Reiss recently which I had to get

You do get what you pay for in fashion retail. MMU (markup) is typically a stable percentage until you get into couture and the very high end.

Things like how a garment is made and the cost of labor come into account the higher the price point. Not just bill of materials.

But, yes, fast fashion has done a good job literally cranking out decent quality at low prices.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
You can find nice stuff in consignment shops and thrift stores. There's a time and effort element, but you don't have to spend money to look decent.

I used to do more used clothes when younger, but after catching a bad case of scabies, I now avoid second hand clothes. I just buy cheap clothes and wear them until they have holes in them I can't patch or sew up anymore. Sadly, I'm gonna be trying to go to graduate school for clinical psychology, so I'm gonna have to look much better, which costs way more than I'd like lol.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I used to do more used clothes when younger, but after catching a bad case of scabies, I now avoid second hand clothes. I just buy cheap clothes and wear them until they have holes in them I can't patch or sew up anymore. Sadly, I'm gonna be trying to go to graduate school for clinical psychology, so I'm gonna have to look much better, which costs way more than I'd like lol.

You'll have to start looking in "urban" malls and outlets and troll around for sales. The best sales periods for fashion retail are the entire month of January, the end of December, and the end of each respective fashion conglomerate's quarter.

I found a pair of suit separates (pants and jacket) for $150 at a DKNY outlet. Just keep in mind that product sold out of many outlets is actually made for the outlet. Meaning materials are cheaper and lower quality, QA is more lax, and the factories the clothing is manufactured in are cheaper.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
You'll have to start looking in "urban" malls and outlets and troll around for sales. The best sales periods for fashion retail are the entire month of January, the end of December, and the end of each respective fashion conglomerate's quarter.

I found a pair of suit separates (pants and jacket) for $150 at a DKNY outlet. Just keep in mind that product sold out of many outlets is actually made for the outlet. Meaning materials are cheaper and lower quality, QA is more lax, and the factories the clothing is manufactured in are cheaper.

Cool, thanks for the info. It'll come in handy looking good for interviews at schools.