• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Somehow spent over $500 this year on shoes. That's new for me. Usually would pick up a new shirt or jacket every few months just to freshen up the wardrobe. I end up with a lot of similar fast-fashion quality pieces in my closet. I should learn to save up for the nicer pieces instead of checking out Uniqlo all the time.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
Could've gone the slight extra distance and bought Meermins/Red Wings for that price.

Nah, I'm aware of both and I was eyeing these wingtip Allen Edmond boots but they're were $300 and decided that these were a nice compromise. Only downside is that I'm not sure if they're good year welted but I take care of my stuff so they'll be fine.

I do need to get some redwings though, maybe next time.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm a cheap bastard when i comes to clothing.....i will however splash big money on watches and own one that i purchased for over £5000

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Way to fucking much honestly. I'm running out of space for all my clothes. I have 4 three piece suits and a full tuxedo but I still want more.

I have a constant urge to constantly buy more dress shirts and dress pants. I never fully feel satisfied with my current woredrobe that I wear for work. Still trying to mold into that classic shirt and tie and combo that I've been striving for. I always feel like I'm just settling when it comes to dress shirts.

Doesn't help that I have a Macy's credit card that makes me a little more like "fuck it, why not?". And that's not even counting my athletic clothes, my gaming/anime/nerd t shirts, my polos, my shirts that hold great sentimental value.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I'm as cheap as possible when it comes to clothes. I don't get any joy out of buying them and seeing i am just replacing old articles of clothing I don't feel that I got any value as I didn't get anything new.

Kohl's / Old Navy works for me. I hound slickdeals for deals on running shoes. If I'm paying more than $20 for pants/dress shirt I am paying too much.

Last edited:

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
can i piggyback on this thread and ask where to buy good office clothing for low price? Starting a new job in a court building.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I hate spending money on clothes. I'll buy some music T-shirts for £15 each every so often. Jeans tend to spend around £15. I buy a new pair of fake Converse for £10 every 6 months or so. I have one smart suit that I paid like £30 for several years ago. That's it really.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My family buys a lot of expensive clothing so I feel like I have a very skewed sense of what's considered spending a lot. In comparison to them, I spend very little and have very little items of clothing. In comparison to my boyfriend, I have way too much stuff.

I'm using an Excel sheet to keep track about how much I spend and what I already have. I don't need multiple items filling the same niche.

Most recently I bought a dress for $188. That's very rare.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think the most I ever spent was $150 for a jacket.

In general I'm a frugal buyer of most things. 90% of my clothes shopping is at Wal-Mart with only occasional excursions to something like JCPenney's.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Primark has nice looking clothes and you can buy a bag full for like 100 bucks.

Only negative is sometimes they have the coolest stuff but at other times they can have the most ugly things ever.

But if you visit it a few times a year it should be possible to amass a nice looking wardrobe for pretty cheap.

Normally i bought my clothes at talian sotres or coolcat but it's expensive AF. I don't care about brands i care more about how clothes looks.

Shoes i always get the skate like ones from adididas or jordan tho since i really love em :P so okay i lied only with that case i care.

Edit: well i did get a suicide squad joker jacket but for a leather jacket it was quite cheap actually it was 200€ looks pretty awesome and is fantastic quality.
bf73f643793a8ef8d9c8231d959d9b4478ab5456.jpg

Edit 2: i drank a bit too much wine today lol fixed some spelling.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As little as possible but I won't buy crap or spend loads of money so it's bargain hunting and luck for me. I like simple well made, good fitting stuff. Logos are the last thing on my mind.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Right now I would probably not spend more than $1,000 on one item: Burberry Trench, Canada Goose Parka, and other highly expensive items.

I normally spend around $50 on crew necks, and $100 on button down shirts. I'm trying out Everlane's jeans and they are only like $75 which is a great price for decent denim.

I'll probably spend around $150-200 on casual shoes, up to $400 on dress shoes, and around $250 on boots.

I don't shop often and when I buy an item I make sure I can rotate it around a lot in my wardrobe. I have a lot of friends that like fast fashion (H&M and Zara) and they end up spending a fraction of what I spend on items but shop more often to replace their clothing so in a year or two the difference we spend is closer to 0.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I don't often buy clothes.

I like the soft and cheap things. 5$ shirts. Some of my jeans are pricier though. I'm sure one of them is normally $50, but usually buy them on sale.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure most of the dress shirts i wear at work i've had for 6-8 years... maybe more!? lol... I just refuse to spend much money on clothes. I was mind screwing my recent outfit for Christmas dinner actually with the girlfriend's family, because I couldn't remember which one (of the 3-4) nice shirts i wore at our thanksgiving get together not too long ago. Didn't want to wear the same thing so soon... Need to save that for New Year's! lol.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Probably over 15k Canadian if the collections have stuff that catches my eye.

Got a couple of nice ties for 600$ recently.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't buy clothes very often, and never have. They've always been low on my list of interests, and since I work from home a lot I've generally been able to get away with a wardrobe that consists of old t-shirts and comfortable pajama pants. I bought several pairs of those over the last couple of years, but not much else until this year when I found a bunch of shirts from my favourite sports team (jersey t-shirts) on clearance and bought a ton for much less than they normally are. Seven normally $30 shirts for $28. Several more for $5 a piece, a couple for a buck each and some newer ones for $20.

I often wear clothes until they're in really bad shape. One t-shirt should go, as it's got lots of holes, but it's been washed so many times that it's become more comfortable over time. I also got it at one of my first concerts. Back then I'd usually try to buy a t-shirt until I realized how much of a ripoff they were at $40-50 each sometimes.

I sometimes splurge on hockey jerseys, because I collect them, but haven't bought many this year and don't see myself doing so in the future because they're just too pricey. They can cost $200-250, so I can't be a hypocrite. Other than the odd jersey, though, I don't spend much at all on clothes and if I do it's cheap stuff.

Last edited:

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shit son, I'm agonizing over whether I should pay $380 for a burgundy slub sportcoat.

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The most money I spend on clothing tends to be with suits. I've lucked and gotten great quality, well fitting stuff on clearance, so my suit purchases this year cost under $900 for three great suits (not including tailoring).

Next highest is on shoes. I love boots and trainers, but I've never spent more than $210 on good leather boots (well, there was this stupid triple monk boot incident where I paid $350 and they didn't fit and I could return them. They look sick but don't fit... If anyone wants to make me an offer...)

Never spent more than $120 on a watch and not more than $80 on shades (Ray Bans)

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I try the find good quality stuff on clearance. Got a beautiful suede bomber jacket for $100 down from uh like $400 this year.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I buy maybe 2 pairs of $15 pants a year. That's about what I spend. Maybe a shirt and some underwear once in a while.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how often you'd wear it. Stuff like jackets and shoes, that you're getting a lot of mileage out of - spend big. It's an investment. Quality isn't cheap.

I can't imagine wearing a blazer on a regular basis so I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on one. But that's me. I live a pretty casual life.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i found this blazer earlier that's approximately 200 dollars and i really want it but that's alot of money for a blazer.
Its so good but i already spend most of my money on clothes and this would just feed that addiction(clothes r awesome tho)
$200 thats not alot. Is it on sale? Also, is it Navy?

A Navy blazer that fits well is standard issue for any well-dressed man. Needs to be in your closet. However, if you are younger...and may change weight/sizes a few times...then no need to rush out and buy one. Also...if its not an on sale ...200 bucks is a rather cheap blazer.

I don't have alot of pieces of clothing. But what I do buy is high quality.

Gennady

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't spend much on clothes and what I do buy I wear for years.
This is important to know: things last you an age if they're well maintained, everyone should know how to repair a button with needle and thread, pants usually rip along the groin or the seams, the latter is easily repairable with a sewing michine and some patience, and the latter with cloth patches if you want to convert it to DIY/hobo clothes.

Shoes will also last ages if well polished and sprayed, you can repair internal wear with gray tape.

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
me 4 years ago.

Do you live in LA where that's normal?

I live in Brussels.
I don't know where you buy a full wool blazer under 200 that is of good quality.
Maybe clothes are cheaper in the US. But checking out the suitsupply.com prices in dollars don't confirm that

idlewild_

Oct 29, 2017
I usually spend less than $500 per year, $200 or so of that would be shoes. Every few years I spend a bit more to replace some formal clothing or buy a new jacket. $200 seems reasonable for a blazer if you're going to wear it at least a few times.

OP
OP
kellar

kellar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benghazi, Libya.
$200 thats not alot. Is it on sale? Also, is it Navy?

A Navy blazer that fits well is standard issue for any well-dressed man. Needs to be in your closet. However, if you are younger...and may change weight/sizes a few times...then no need to rush out and buy one. Also...if its not an on sale ...200 bucks is a rather cheap blazer.

I don't have alot of pieces of clothing. But what I do buy is high quality.
Yep its Navy and it fits perfectly.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I only buy new clothing for events. I usually get something I can match with stuff I already have, but plenty times I've had to buy a whole outfit. For something like my profile pic I spent around 400 bucks all in, from the full suit, even the bowtie, the belt, and the shoes. Pretty cheap considering you could totally spend more than that on a single item.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep its Navy and it fits perfectly.
Then good purchase! Navy Blazers are classic. Thats like having white dress shirts. Its a must.

When in doubt. Navy Blazer, White Dress shirt, charcoal grey slacks, brown belt, brown shoes...for anything other than business formal. You really don't need much outside of that simple combination...unless you just want to.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Not much. I don't like dressing up so I never go out of my way to purchase "nice" clothes. I keep a couple of suits around for interviews which I always dress up for and other formal events that I feel obligated to go to but even then I question if dressing up is really required. I'm a t-shirt and jeans/shorts type of guy. If I can't wear that, I usually don't attend whatever it is, assuming it's a non-family related social gathering. I'll spend more money on a decent jacket, though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I like some investment pieces--leather jackets, suits, blazers, so on, but I also get a lot of stuff for cheap at places like Uniqlo. So a mix of high and low.

Nov 2, 2017
Zero. I just wait for my partner to get bored or fed up with my tattered clothes and then she buys me something new. The last thing I bought was warm gloves for cycling in the winter. Also my few friends know how cheap I am so they will offer me clothes before donating them. I don't have to look at myself so I don't care what I wear. I also cut my own hair due to cheapness.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
If you love the look of something and it looks good on you then you should spend what you can afford. If it's well made and you look after it, it's around for a long time.

Totally agree. Clothes are definitely a worthwhile investment, having something that makes you feel good about this every day can really impact your mood.

If you spend most of your money on clothes, you should probably step back and reevaluate some of your finances

Also totally agree. Bruhs y'all are stressing me out with this thread.

OP
OP
kellar

kellar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benghazi, Libya.
Then good purchase! Navy Blazers are classic. Thats like having white dress shirts. Its a must.

When in doubt. Navy Blazer, White Dress shirt, charcoal grey slacks, brown belt, brown shoes...for anything other than business formal. You really don't need much outside of that simple combination...unless you just want to.
oh god now i have to buy slacks.

Deleted member 14900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do the Uniqlo thing. Just low-cost trusty staples. I'll spend a couple hundred+ on a coat or boots every other year. I will pay 80 - 100 dollars for a bra at a non-chain custom fitting place. Won't go back to retail stores ever for bras.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Quite a bit and I hate you guys in the US for having stores that sell brands that I like for really good prices. I do some shopping on 6pm.com whenever possible if a friend is coming back from the US.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh god now i have to buy slacks.
If you can snag stuff on sale (only on sale), Brooks Brothers gaberdine flat front trousers are sharp.

I don't know how old you are...so don't spend a ton of money if you think you may gain weight...or simply don't need this stuff yet. However, if you are pushing mid to late 20s...Its probably time to get this kind of stuff in your closet.

Shoes....You can get some decent stuff from Johnston Murphy. A tad higher end Allen Edmonds.

If you have some cash lying around....Alden's are my favorite. Handmade in New England. I wore the same pair of Alden's 4 out of 7 days a week for 8 years...and they still hold up. Don't mess with anything with a buckle. Get a simple Balmoral captoe. (whatever brand you have).

No need to cash all this in all at once either. Acquire nice pieces over time (ie on sale...don't pay full price for stuff...) You will have a sharp closet in no time if you focus on quality versital (classic) pieces and not just quantity.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I spend about $6000 a year on clothes. I love wearing new things. $200 for the right top isn't a bad price if you're going to get a few good uses out of it.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on income level, relative quality and convenience.

I'm trying to rationalise buying this:
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/leo...ather-jackets-by-magnoli-clothiers-p-353.html
extra-image-842.jpg

Shop around and keep your eyes peeled. I found a French Connection version of this jacket worth £170 for £30.

I used to spend ridiculous amounts of money on clothes but now I shop around. Also living in the west end of Glasgow has given me access to some amazing charity shops. Because a lot of rich kids are rich I've found some crazy things for next to nothing. A few weeks back I managed to grab some basically brand new Levi's worth £80 for 99p. Great way to stay stylish and keep costs down.