• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Find The Word Cunt Offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 60 72.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 22 26.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It's probably the only word that, depending on where you are (The U.S. and Canada, for example), can either be offensive as all hell to the point where you're fucking done if you use it directly towards someone (especially a woman), or a totally innocuous term that's considered even friendly (!). How do you react when you hear it, and how would you react if somebody called you it?

Personally, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it, but it certainly is one of the few words that is genuinely shocking to hear. If I use it against somebody, that person has to be basically someone like Charles Manson or a pedophile with multiple victims. Basically a piece of shit with no redeeming values.

Dec 2, 2017
In Ireland and the UK it's a very common word so I'm not offended by it. I dislike it because I'm tired of gendered insults and don't really say it myself anymore.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
I didn't hear it at all where I was raised but it doesn't bother me , but I wouldn't use it personally.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I mean will all used it in the heat of the moment while enjoying some sexy time, right?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Canadian.

Never knew it was considered particularly offensive until I started lurking GAF.

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
Equally as offensive as the word "dick". Can be used both as a bad word, or as friendly banter. Hell, I call my wife a cunt (lovingly) and she returns in kind.
I do recognize that not everyone shares this outlook, however, and rarely use it around people I don't know.

I'm Danish.

Oct 26, 2017
Hearing the word, not offensive at all. Having it directed at me (with malice), offensive, but not much more than other words.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm French, AND a woman (and I think that counts in this situation)

It would depend on the context, but most times I've heard it being used in my life (usually targeted to me) it was meant to be: HELLA OFFENSIVE.
So I don't like it. It's a gendered slur a majority of the toxic gamer dudes I've met in the 15 years I've been gaming online, have been using with thorough consistency.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think how common it is impacts on how offensive it is. It just means a lot of us are ready to use gendered insults and use the fact that others do as well as an excuse.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Here in the UK it's used constantly.

It doesn't even feel gendered. Like, bitch is absolutely a gendered insult but cunt just isn't used like one, at least in all the ways I've heard it here.

I feel like using Cunt would if anything soften someone's insult towards me at this point.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
English is not my main language, but...

I don't know, I could treat it as the same with "asshole" word maybe?

It depends on how & who used it though.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I might be in the minority of Brits here, but I consider it to be offensive, same as other curse/swear words.
Sure you can say it between friends etc

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In from the UK, I'll take a side order of it with my fish and chips or afternoon tea

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only words that are offensive at this point are racial slurs.

Beyond that, other insults have lost all meaning. Cunt among them.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
British so not even slightly but I am a man.
My brother used to make his numberplate in the Xbox NFS games say CUNTY, alwyas found that funny.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all but I'm American so I rarely get to use the word. It's probably my favorite curse word too, only time I get to use it is among my close friends.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm English so not really a lot. I like using it sparingly as it's the only swear word that actually shocks people anymore or has any impact. My American friends still find it weird how much we use it.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
An an aussie I probably hear it or say it at least a few times a day. As I play with more online friends its a word I try to be conscious of and use sparingly haha.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the context and who is around me.

Those who say it's very common in the UK must be moving in some very different circles to me, I rarely hear it.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the UK, its common as muck. When I was growing up it was pretty much top dog rare swear (in school at least), but now its just boringly overused and everything and everyone under the sun is a cunt.

It's weird hearing Americans use it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It depends. An American person using it to exclusively refer to women is for example very different from a Scottish person using it indiscriminately.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm English so it's pretty common language.

Have only really seen Americans get weird about it, I think they'd only use it towards a woman.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm an Aussie, I very frequently hear that word. Don't really such it much but I wouldn't say the word offends me.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I'm Swedish, so my perception of these things might miss out a lot of context and such, but I don't find it particularly offensive since I'm so accustomed to hearing it in media and stuff. On the other hand I try not to use the Swedish equivalent of the word due to the gendered aspects of the whole thing, so maybe I should be more offended than I am.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
In America, it's definitely a gendered, hateful word. But that does seem to be changing with all the popular British TV shows that have skyrocketed it in pop culture here. I think it's becoming less gendered (kinda like how "dick" is), but there's still a ton of bad faith use of the word.

Probably why "cunt" with an American accent sounds pretty hateful and vile, and a whimsical swear word with a British or Irish accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.