• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm deploying imminently. My Switch is coming with me for sure, but I am debating whether it is worth it to bring my PS4 or Xbone with me.
I'm headed somewhere where unlike a lot of my previous deployments I will not have my own space and will have no personal internet access.
I'm so used to just putting a disc in, installing it and downloading updates I haven't thought about how well games work on day 0.

Do most games ship in a state where they are playable anymore?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If you believe you have enough on switch to play and would have enough to look forward too on it id stick to just that, ps4 and xbox games are playable but could have game breaking glitches or complete features missing nit to mention how many games require offline even for singleplayer like Need for speed for example. If you absolutely have to bring one of the two take the ps4, both work offline but ive seen some people talk about the xbox sometimes not working randomly though its never happened to me. You said space will be minimal so itd probably just be a hassle.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Most games are playable from the disc, long as they're singleplayer.

OP
OP
Decarbia

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): admitting to piracy
If you believe you have enough on switch to play and would have enough to look forward too on it id stick to just that, ps4 and xbox games are playable but could have game breaking glitches or complete features missing nit to mention how many games require offline even for singleplayer like Need for speed for example. If you absolutely have to bring one of the two take the ps4, both work offline but ive seen some people talk about the xbox sometimes not working randomly though its never happened to me. You said space will be minimal so itd probably just be a hassle.
Well Switch I have a work around. My sister is just gonna send me drives with nsps on them for games I want lol.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Most Nintendo 1st party titles are 100% playable from day one. Maybe Square-Enix as I've found they rarely update/usually only have oddball bugs that don't affect gameplay much.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Damn, caught that ban with the quickness. On topic though, Switch is mostly good, everything else is a dice roll nowadays. It's all about those 20+ GB patches.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Guess I'll pose this question to keep the conversation going: What is the likelihood of PS5/XSX online stores letting users download updates to a game before the game itself gets released, or at least before the game is purchased if it's already out? The Switch does has this interesting (and PERFECTLY LEGAL) loophole where if the game has any DLC that you're already planning to get (whether its free or paid), you can download the DLC and you'll automatically be able to download that game's updates before you obtain the game itself.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience basically all of them.

Its the only reason I'm still going physical.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Aren't all disc based ps4 games for example playable offline? Would be weird if they weren't. Of course there are day 1 patches for various issues but I don't think there's ever been a case where a game simply won't boot (unless it's mp ofc).

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Aren't all disc based ps4 games for example playable offline? Would be weird if they weren't. Of course there are day 1 patches for various issues but I don't think there's ever been a case where a game simply won't boot (unless it's mp ofc).
You couldnt play destiny campign offline, same with the division 2, and the last couple need for speeds. Plenty of others, the misconception comes from that video PlayStation made to target xbox at e3 but it was never 100% true though for most games it is.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll pose this question to keep the conversation going: What is the likelihood of PS5/XSX online stores letting users download updates to a game before the game itself gets released, or at least before the game is purchased if it's already out? The Switch does has this interesting (and PERFECTLY LEGAL) loophole where if the game has any DLC that you're already planning to get (whether its free or paid), you can download the DLC and you'll automatically be able to download that game's updates before you obtain the game itself.

the whole point of the day 1 patch is to give developers time to keeping working on a game between disc manufacturing and release date, so basically none. the updates aren't ready yet till day 1.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
You couldnt play destiny campign offline, same with the division 2, and the last couple need for speeds. Plenty of others, the misconception comes from that video PlayStation made to target xbox at e3 but it was never 100% true though for most games it is.
True, I didn't consider such atrocities. They're a subgenre of mp games though, for the sake of my argument :) Needless or not.

OP
OP
Decarbia

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I caught a ban for this but I wasn't even taking about fucking piracy. I was talking about being able to update offline with nsps, jfc.