• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often do you say GG at the end of a match?

• I frequently or always say GG

Votes: 203 34.2%
  • I'll say GG if the other player(s) say it

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • I'll only say it if, in my view, it was a good game

Votes: 105 17.7%
  • I rarely or never say GG

Votes: 192 32.3%
  • I'm toxic. OMEGALUL GG EZ

Votes: 38 6.4%

• Total voters

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
rarely, but i do occasionally after destiny crucible if warranted. If sportsmanship was good, no teabagging, close hard fought match etc.

one thing i notice is it's so much easier to say gg after you WIN a close, hard fought, sweaty match. Same as I notice most of the GG's I get are from the winning team when I'm on the losing side. So I try to even it out and send it after hard fought losses too, but it's hard lol.

Oct 26, 2017
It varies. It's more common in some games than others. Usually I'll say gg when losing in competitive/ranked mmr type games. I find it's the best way to just quickly accept a loss and move on, as opposed to complaining about lag, or something cheesy that the opponent did or whatever.

Sometimes I'll go a little toxic if my teammates throw the game and then put up a gg like somehow that absolves them. I never do the ggez thing.

In casual modes I'll throw out a gg if someone else says it.

In RTS it's just kind of part of the flow of the game, someone says gg, at that point you can lay off a bit and chat about the game for a minute, or it will just serve as a warning that the game is about to end. Just forfeiting wordlessly is a little abrupt.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I even say/write it in Apex Legends (PC). And I think I'm the only one on this planet doing it.

But yeah, actually everytime. I grew up in an age where there wasn't "ez" (no one ever said that in any of my Enemy Territory or CoD1 matches... fucking kids these days) and it was common to enter the server with "hf gl" and leave it with "gg". I carry on with the good old multiplayer manners.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I said it all the time in HotS but only when the game was actually over, not "GG because we lost 1 person in the bot lane 5mins in"

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I've probably said it only a hand full of times usually sarcastically after a catastrophic failure.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Not GG exactly, but I always say "Well Played" at the end of every Hearthstone match. I'll use "Good Game!" at the end of MTG Arena matches if it was a long, drawn out game, or if the opponent did something cool or had a sweet deck.

Don't do it so much in Destiny, but I like to buy Boon of the Crucible giftpacks and toss them out if we win a fun and close game. I try to do it for Vanguard stuff if I meet a team of two that help me through a strike faster.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of BM voters in the poll. Do you refuse hand shakes after irl matches too?

Good manners cost nothing.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Everygame, most of the time being honest, sometimes in sarcasm.

Also, I sadly use it a lot in real life, since I my League of legends group were my friends from college, so it was usually said after we failed a test.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Almost always in PC games, its kind of a shame so many people stopped over the years. Maybe I'm just comparing open matchmaking to particular CS or TF servers I frequented.

I say it to every half decent squad of randos in Apex, and have had it reciprocated twice ever lol.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
always do "gg". even if it was a lopsided match one way or another.

No harm in a virtual handshake. Always do "Well Played" emote in Hearthstone for the same reason.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Playing fighting games online, I throw out a lot of GG's.

Because I appreciate a GG.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
A lot

I think it's great in a lot of contexts, not really cringe either.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel very comfortable saying it when I win because I feel like it's easy for it to come off as sarcastic or passive aggressive. In person it's never a problem because the intent is better communicated nonverbally.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Pretty much never.

In Brood War / Frozen Throne I used to say it every game but my experiences with Dota and Siege have been almost universally negative on the community end and generally I keep everyone muted or avoid interactions altogether.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
I do it (in Overwatch) only if it was, like, actually good, i.e. particularly close or interesting or fun. If one team stomps the other or whatever I won't. In fact I have to restrain myself from being like "R U SURE?"

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said GG to my colleague today when told a funny joke and I said it to my other colleague when he made a coffee.

GG

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rarely play multiplayer games online anymore but I frequently would say it after an Unreal Tournament or Quake match. Outside of that context GG will always be Game Gear to me, though.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Very prevalent in rocket league, which is the competitive game I play the most. Ironically the game is also toxic af (and I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it, trash talk is fun). In general though, I tend to say gg when a competitive match was indeed good (close game or generally hard fought).

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
In BF pretty much everytime.
Unless it was one of those matches were the other team base kills or simply refuse to PTFO.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
oh god i feel called out i say it all the time in real life yeah.
I said it reasonably often when i played overwatch a year or two back, now i just say it sarcastically whenever i fuck up basically

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I always say "gg" when given the chance. I think it's polite, shows good sportsmanship, and damn - the Internet could use more of that!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not since I stopped playing StarCraft around 2004 in general. Would sometimes message it to a friend (or friends) after a night of SFIV.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
it's less about the quality, more an acknowledgment that it was fair.
Real answer: I never say gg because I don't really play multiplayer outside of couch multiplayer, in which case such formalities are pretty unnecessary and get in the way of good-hearted trash talk or whatever it is we do.

If I did play online, I'd probably only say it as a response because I wouldn't remember that I was supposed to.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty often, especially while playing Overwatch. That being said, I typically say GLHF more.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
When I don't forget about it. But yeah, usually if I have a good match, even if I lose (as long as it's not too one-sided).