• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often do you say GG at the end of a match?

• I frequently or always say GG

Votes: 203 34.2%
  • I'll say GG if the other player(s) say it

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • I'll only say it if, in my view, it was a good game

Votes: 105 17.7%
  • I rarely or never say GG

Votes: 192 32.3%
  • I'm toxic. OMEGALUL GG EZ

Votes: 38 6.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't play anything competitive online that uses chat, so never. Closest would be saying thanks after a duty in FFXIV

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If I lose I'll do the gg. If I win I wait for a couple people on the other team to do a gg before doing one and will stay silent if nothing is said. This way it doesn't feel like you're potentially pushing anybody's buttons.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say gg if the other player does first and I was the winner, otherwise I will say it only when its an actually good tight match. When its not even close and someone says gg, I find that annoying, not every game is a good game for everyone.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never, sounds super cringe and the only person I know who says this, 'GG' not good game, IRL says it in an asshole ironic way. So anytime I see somebody saying it I immediately see it negatively.

For clarification though, a person saying good game and GG are two different things to me.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
In Rocket League I say GG always cause it has a default chat. In other games just when it deserves a mention.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hardly ever in a position to say it in the first place. The most multiplayer thing I do regularly or at all is trading in Warframe. When I'm done with a trade I always say "Thanks, take care."

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's the gaming equivalent of "have a nice day" or saying "bless you" when somebody sneezes. just a perfunctory formality

i'll throw it in there if there's an active chat going

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"GG all"

Almost always do. Any game I play.

Except if I have had an abysmally shit game. In which case I just dont say anything. I dont stick around for the gg's, just quit the millisecond the game is done.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Usually after doing sorties or particularly tough missions in Warframe with randoms I'll say gg. Always a good feeling when everyone in the squad says it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard it until about 4-5 years ago. Been playing online games since online was a thing. Consoles at least
I was reading it back in 99/early 00s as a young lad playing online RTS/DOTA; GG and GGWP were both common in AoE/AoE2/SC/WC3, alongside "gl hf" before matches began.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gg

Guess, as usual, console is late to the party ;)

just kidding :)

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I did it in almost always in Warcraft III back in the day. Now, my chat is usually disabled in every game, but if it was a really good or close game, I send them a GG message on PSN or Steam.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Been saying it more lately, had quite a few nice messages in XBL via MK11.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I say gg mainly if the other team got stomped or if it was close.

Im much more concerned with saying "good effort" in team chat if we lose but no one gave up, or even if just one person gave up

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I sometimes nod and say it out loud when I watch a Bob Ross stream and he finishes another happy little painting.

Other than that, never. I don't play competitive online with any sort of chat enabled.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't really play that much competitive online anymore, but I've played a lot of Counter-Strike when I was still a young lad. And every game started with GL HF and ended at GG. There were exceptions if the opponents were acting like dicks the whole game of course. When I still played Dota 2, I ended games at GG. In Hearthstone I always started with the "hello" emote and ended with "well played" emote. More recently I've just played Clash Royale on my phone, there too I start every match with "Good luck" emote and end with "Good game" "Well played" emotes. I don't use the animated emotes at all, especially not the crying one.

Also when playing with friends, we usually say "thanks for the games" when we stop playing or just one in the group leaves.
I've never heard it until about 4-5 years ago. Been playing online games since online was a thing. Consoles at least
I also started playing online prior to 2000 and it's been really common always. In Counter-Strike Clanbase ladder matches "GL HF" at the start was even kind of a rule, it was an acknowledgement that both teams were ready to start the match. I remember people starting to complain and ask for new restarts because they weren't ready yet "we didn't say GL!". Of course the question is about GG and not about GL HF, but both have been around. Could be as you mention that you've played more on consoles, don't think the communication between opposing teams has been as easy as it's been on PC so it hasn't been as common. I think we used it in Starsiege Tribes already and it's use is probably even older than that.
I even say/write it in Apex Legends (PC). And I think I'm the only one on this planet doing it.

But yeah, actually everytime. I grew up in an age where there wasn't "ez" (no one ever said that in any of my Enemy Territory or CoD1 matches... fucking kids these days) and it was common to enter the server with "hf gl" and leave it with "gg". I carry on with the good old multiplayer manners.
Exactly!

Last edited:

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
HALO - i send this to top players on the opposing team in a closely contested match, win or lose, or to people obviously held back by poor players on their team (sometimes me, lol)

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Very rarely. I don't play many competitive games and if I do I'm in party chat and have all messaging disabled. Zero interest in communicating with randoms.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Extremely rarely. Mostly when someone else says it (respectfully, not being a troll).

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually reply Gest a Game. I never say it. I rarely say anything, other than lightly poke fun at realy bad Widomakers.