• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NPR

Are there too many candles on the universe's birthday cake? New research shows scientists may have overestimated the age by more than a billion years.

Adam Riess, astrophysicist. Recently published findings that the universe is about a billion years younger than previously believed. Distinguished astronomer at the Space Telescope Science Institute (@stsci). Professor of astronomy and physics at Johns Hopkins University. He won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2011.

Jo Dunkley, professor of physics and astrophysical sciences at Princeton University. Author of "Our Universe: An Astronomer's Guide." (@j_dunkley)

"Using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, Johns Hopkins University astronomer Adam Riess concluded in this week's Astrophysical Journal that the figure is 9% higher than the previous calculation, which was based on studying leftovers from the Big Bang.

"The trouble is, Riess and others think both calculations are correct.

"Confused? That's OK, so are the experts."

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Science is a liar sometimes
NsdgaP5.jpg

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
All science is is the best educated guess at the time of what something might be and how it might work. The answers will change, as we hopefully become more aware of ourselves and the place we inhabit. What we know to be 'true' today, might be laughed at 50 years or so down the line. I grew up in a time where the solar system had 9 planets, there are now only 8.

It wasn't until this year that Einstien's theory on blackhole was given further evidence to be true.

It's no big deal, really.

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean that as the rate of expansion accelerates, the universe seems to be getting "younger"? If time is relative anyway, wouldn't that make "sense".

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
200.gif

So does this make me a billion years younger than I believe I am? That'd be sweet as I don't like telling anyone I'm in my 40's. If I can say "I'm -999,999,958 years old" I'll feel much better about myself.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Current theories on the creation of the Universe state that, if it was created at all and didn't just start, as it were, unofficially, it came into being between ten and twenty thousand million years ago. By the same token the earth itself is generally supposed to be about four and a half thousand million years old.
These dates are incorrect.
Medieval Jewish scholars put the date of the Creation at 3760 B.C. Greek Orthodox theologians put Creation as far back as 5508 B.C.
These suggestions are also incorrect.
Archbishop James Usher (1580-1656) published Annales Veteris et Novi Testamenti in 1654, which suggested that the Heaven and the Earth were created in 4004 B.C. One of his aides took the calculation further, and was able to announce triumphantly that the Earth was created on Sunday the 21th of October, 4004 B.C., at exactly 9:00 A.M., because God liked to get work done early in the morning while he was feeling fresh.
This too was incorrect. By almost a quarter of an hour.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
How know when time bend as much as space, also quantum still isn't friend with relativity.
Also what about "dark matter" and "dark energy" ?

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Ideally, when we are all kids in school and first hear the term "science", our teachers/mentors should emphasize the true meaning of the word, which is basically "everything we know so far about XYZ".

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
A lot of these questions will be easily answered when the JWST launches and starts collecting data; who knows how long that'll take

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
What happened before the universe?

before was the atom,the universe was created when the next level up of reality split that atom.

from their perspective the contents spread out and dissipated in a fraction of a second,from our perspective the process is still ongoing and has still barely started.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
So this would suggest at least one of our assumptions are wrong in one of the methods of each of the ways to calculate the universe's age, or in what this means if ti turns out both are actually true. Which is a great thing as this would drive us closer to understanding the universe.

Unfortunately I've heard multiple people use headlines like these to try to bash science and say religion is the only answer, when it's moments like these where you can continually fix your errors is what makes science great.