• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Today is the first day I was ever called a "racist troll" on Twitter (or anywhere, for that matter). This woman (Chinese-German, apparently) was recounting a date with a guy who greeted her with "Nihao", tried to impress her with his Mandarin skills, and talked about what he liked about China.
I subsequently asked her whether she thought mentioning somebody's ethnicity or home country was generally objectionable in a conversation, clarifying that I was legitimately interested.
She called me an "idiotic racist troll" and that was that.

Now, I realize my comment might have been stupid, but this is something I do wonder about.

Is mentioning a person's ethnicity always a way to exoticize a person and reduce them to being a minority? Is it ever ok?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
what does my ethnicity matter? i didn't choose to be born into it so why make it such a big part of how you interact with me.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
We're missing context here for your conversation, but it's definitely pretty ignorant to do what that guy did.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Of course not, but in this case dude reduced her to nothing but her ethnicity, which is pretty clearly not okay.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It can be annoying when people try to distill your whole persona into your heritage, and Asian women, specifically, deal with a lot of gross fetishization.

In general, when you're getting to know someone, it's preferable to connect with who they are, not where they're from. That doesn't mean you can't EVER talk about it, but maybe don't lead with it.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why would you ask for "Ethnicity" when you just can ask for the country they are from for lenguage/customs porpuses?

Why you should ask about Ethnicity at all?

Last edited:

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) This is a perfect example of why Twitter is terrible for basic conversation.

2) Bringing up someone's ethnicity or home country isn't necessarily racist, but it can be, and there is a thin line.

3) the guy in the example story sounds diet-racist. In that he was well meaning but still ignorant to an inexcusable degree.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
a date with a guy who greeted her with "Nihao", tried to impress her with his Mandarin skills, and talked about what he liked about China.

This sounds super awkward though. Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, he sounds enthusiastic about China and using the Mandarin language but I feel like that's something you warm up to in an interaction and see what the other person's reception to it is like, rather than leading with it and immediately drawing attention to someone's race whom you just met.

In Canada, doing this with a person of Chinese heritage who is my age and born in Canada would overtly make you seem if not racist then a tremendously culturally insensitive idiot.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
In the OP example, I would say it's probably friendly if you know for a fact that the person speaks that language as a first language. Otherwise, it's a no-no.

OP
OP

ArtVandelay

Banned
May 29, 2018
It can be annoying when people try to distill your whole persona into your heritage, and Asian women, specifically, deal with a lot of gross fetishization.

In general, when you're getting to know someone, it's preferable to connect with who they are, not where they're from. That doesn't mean you can't EVER talk about it, but maybe don't lead with it.

Absolutely. I mean that guy was being a douche. Don't throw around "Nihaos".
But I have definitely talked to Japanese or Chinese acquaintances and asked them what city they're from, mentioning the places I've been to. And I kinda felt bad about it afterwards. It's a thin line between small-talk and being an idiot.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I mean that guy was being a douche. Don't throw around "Nihaos".
But I have definitely talked to Japanese or Chinese acquaintances and asked them what city they're from, mentioning the places I've been to. And I kinda felt bad about it afterwards. It's a thin line between small-talk and being an idiot.

the problem is ppl tend to do only this to minorities

like "oh, where are you from" as if most of us aren't also born and raised in america lol

just reducing someone to their ethnicity, and that's ignoring if someone is fetishizing it on top of that

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It's kinda rude if you don't know they already speak that language fluently, idk if I'd say it's racist but I'd definitely think someone was rude if they just started speaking Korean to me when they first met me.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you ask for "Ethnicity" when you just can ask for the country they are from for lenguage/customs porpuses?

We you should ask about Ethnicity at all?

If you're in a multiethnic country, asking "Where are you from?" is a terrible question because it implies the other person is The Other.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I subsequently asked her whether she thought mentioning somebody's ethnicity or home country was generally objectionable in a conversation, clarifying that I was legitimately interested.
She called me an "idiotic racist troll" and that was that

She (probably) wasn't looking for a discussion/debate at this point. Poor timing on your part.

As to your actual question, there is a thin line. Err on the side of caution - the individual being asked about ethnicity has probably had to sit through hundreds of encounters like that and they're fed up.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I've gone on dates with plenty of women from all over the place and never once did their country of origin come up. I didn't just assume they spoke the native language either. Wtf?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
See what dude in thar story did sounds like fetishization in a way. Like he was so excited to meet a Chinese person he boiled her down to her race because that's all he sees. At least at face value, anyway.

OP
OP

ArtVandelay

Banned
May 29, 2018
the problem is ppl only tend to do this to minorities

like "oh, where are you from" as if most of us aren't also born and raised in america lol

Of course. I would only ask that question if I definitely knew that person was indeed not born here (Germany in my case).

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1) This is a perfect example of why Twitter is terrible for basic conversation.

2) Bringing up someone's ethnicity or home country isn't necessarily racist, but it can be, and there is a thin line.

3) the guy in the example story sounds diet-racist. In that he was well meaning but still ignorant to an inexcusable degree.
Basically this.

The original dude was definitely way in the wrong. Also a great example of why Twitter is awful, but it isn't really that woman's fault at all. I'm sure she got some legit racist troll responses too.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Man, from the thread title, I thought OP was constantly referring to a coworker as "Peruvian Steve" or something, while the guy is the only Steve anyone there knows. In my head, he got called out but didn't see why, do I expected a massive backfire.
Bit disappointed.

I think it all comes down to how/why you mention it. It's super racist to assume someone with (possibly) Chinese heritage in any way feels connected to China, which is probably why she was on edge. Your question wasn't really related to her tweet, OP.

OP
OP

ArtVandelay

Banned
May 29, 2018
See what dude in thar story did sounds like fetishization in a way. Like he was so excited to meet a Chinese person he boiled her down to her race because that's all he sees. At least at face value, anyway.

Yes, so I try to be very conscious about that kind of stuff.
My barber, for instance, is from Japan (born and raised). And I guess I got carried away and we talked a lot about Japan one time.

I try to imagine somebody only talking to me about Germany, so I see how this can be considered unacceptable.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
That was the first thing he said to her? lol, That was his icebreaker? How is it possible to know what languages someone you don't know yet speaks just by looking at them?

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, so I try to be very conscious about that kind of stuff.
My barber, for instance, is from Japan (born and raised). And I guess I got carried away and we talked a lot about Japan one time.

I try to imagine somebody only talking to me about Germany, so I see how this can be considered unacceptable.

I think once you know someone there's nothing even remotely wrong about that kinda discussion

imo it's only offensive when someone does it when meeting someone. indicates a suspect view on minorities in general

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Doing what that dude did is the equivalent of asking a black person if you can touch their hair. It's gross race fetishism.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Being genuinely curious about someone's heritage is one thing. In most cases, there's nothing wrong with this.

Objectifying/Fetishizing someone's heritage, or acting in a way that suggests someone's race or heritage is the most interesting thing about them (which the guy in that twitter story was clearly doing) is another.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally i believe that asking for ethnicity is a more aggresive and incorrect question.

I think they're both bad ways to get to know a person, butil if I had to pick I'd rather ask their ethnicity unless I know they're an immigrant.

Either way, it's best to avoid it until it naturally comes about later down the line.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A> Nothing good ever comes out of these conversations on Twitter. From anyone. Fakers "just asking questions" drown out anyone with a legitimate and sincere question, people who would like the world to be a more considerate place are drowned out by people who say they want the world to be a more considerate place but are just pompous grandstanding toxic assholes.

B> Just because someone is Asian, or even Chinese, doesn't mean they speak Chinese or give a shit about China and if you're trying to date someone then coming out the gate with some weeb shit isn't a good idea.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking annoying is why. I meet someone, one of the first questions is Oh where are you from? I say New York because I know what's coming. They then re-iterate and ask where am I really from. Then I just lose all interest in this person and don't answer the question generally.

I had this happen to me at a team lunch first week on a new job years ago and it was the most awkward I've ever felt at a job and sad.

This wouldn't be a big deal if white people did this to each other as well, but in my experience they don't(speaking of US, I guess I can see that being more of a thing in Europe). So nah.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It can be racist or not at all. It depends on how you approach the other person.

Sometimes I wonder how some of you socialize.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Yeah, I don't really do Twitter. I guess I tried to get a broader conversation going, but I realized that wasn't the place.
Happened to me before too, but yeah..
I think people who look what is perceived as "foreign" get this all the time, has to be super exhausting.

I once caught myself being the racist in a situation like that once(and I think I have improved by now).
Black woman in one lecture stood up, and started speaking with what can only be described as a true Upper Austrian accent. The kind you get by clearly growing up in the Upper Austrian countryside. I was surprised, and kinda shocked at the realization that I had expected something else. A Viennese accent or maybe hochdeutsch.
What's that saying? If you make assumptions, fuck you. I screwed up.

Long story short, I don't think it's necessarily racist to bring up ethnicity, but if you make assumptions based on how someone looks... Well, I said it above.

OP
OP

ArtVandelay

Banned
May 29, 2018
Being genuinely curious about someone's heritage is one thing. In most cases, there's nothing wrong with this.

Objectifying/Fetishizing someone's heritage, or acting in a way that suggests someone's race or heritage is the most interesting thing about them (which the guy in that twitter story was clearly doing) is another.

Yeah, the guy was clearly more interested in her heritage than in the actual woman he was talking to.

Though reading stories like this I always wonder if I've ever been this tone-deaf without realizing it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I've had people ask me if it was ok to ask me about my ethnicity, or my son's since he got my wife's skin color, and I don't think it is in that instance. But those who've just assumed something about my ethnicity with a comment trying to disguise it as a joke or something, that's when they get called out.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Today is the first day I was ever called a "racist troll" on Twitter (or anywhere, for that matter). This woman (Chinese-German, apparently) was recounting a date with a guy who greeted her with "Nihao", tried to impress her with his Mandarin skills, and talked about what he liked about China.
She called me an "idiotic racist troll" and that was that.

Now, I realize my comment might have been stupid, but this is something I do wonder about.

Is mentioning a person's ethnicity always a way to exoticize a person and reduce them to being a minority? Is it ever ok?

Make an effort to refer to all the white people you see by their various ethnicities, Irish, Polish, German, Belgian, French...

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It can be racist or not at all. It depends on how you approach the other person.

Sometimes I wonder how some of you socialize.

LOL....

You can do a lot of "socializing" without you bringing up the Ethnicity of the person, or even where they are from.

This is very easy specially at work. When i personally stick talking about work and some other things, no need for me to ask those questions.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
One of my best friends is Kazakh and it sometime factors into conversation, but mostly because she hasn't spent a lot of time here and it's easy to forget that she isn't aware of older cultural icons. She has a lot of friends from eastern europe (and until recently a fiancée too 😅) but other than asking to have a sense of what language to use, i usually avoid talking about ethnicity or nationality. It's just not that important to be honest, maybe if it's someone i'm very close with but otherwise it's not that relevant.

The worst thing though is people constantly thinking she's Chinese.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe it's just a Latino thing. But I get asked ask where I'm from, parents are from all the time. Especially if I'm dating another Latino. Seems weird to me be offended by it, maybe it's a shame thing, especially if you don't speak the native tongue.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I was just thinking about a thread on this board about a poster being addicted to a YT channel that features a person who knows dozens of languages.

The title of the thread included the phrase "black guy".

And I'm thinking, is it a relevant fact to mention that the person is both a guy and black?

Would the poster have used the phrase "white guy"? We'll never know, but calling out the blackness of someone being mentioned happens *a lot* in the United States. It's a symptom of systemic white supremacy and bigotry.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Generally I just talk to people about regular crap. If they bring up where they're from or background etc, cool.

I love learning about different cultures, but talking at a person like they're an ambassador of X country isn't ok.

I was just thinking about a thread on this board about a poster being addicted to a YT channel that features a person who knows dozens of languages.

The title of the thread included the phrase "black guy".

And I'm thinking, is it a relevant fact to mention that the person is both a guy and black?

Would the poster have used the phrase "white guy"? We'll never know, but calling out the blackness of someone being mentioned happens *a lot* in the United States. It's a symptom of systemic white supremacy and bigotry.

Ha! I had the same thought when I saw that.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
In my experience, it's often an oblivious, unconscious sort of racism.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's not the stuff you lead with at all.

I love learning about people's backgrounds and family history but I wait till I get to know the person better

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool when white people ask

"Where are you from?"

Because you hey can't figure out what brown I am and it kills them inside. The answer is always

"Here."

"Oh."