• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
If you scale them, 7 is the scariest for sure, so 7>2>8>3, but seriously, 8 and 3 is all action, 8 has one particular section trying to be scary and it's clearly inspired in other game, 3 don't even try.

RetroHippie

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 12, 2021
People are mostly speaking for themselves. Doesn't sound like you play too much horror OP? If so, you'll probably consider 7 and 8 and 2 to a lesser extent scarier than the average person.

For someone susceptible to jump scares and first person, you will definitely find RE7 scary for longer than the first 2-3 hours as people say. 8 can also be quite tense at times.

Anyways, give them a shot. They're all great games. Yes, even 3.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
2 and 7 can be pretty scary from what you're saying your limit is.

3 and 8 aren't really scary barring like one moment in village.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I got tired of the hide-n-seek core mechanic of 7 but still want to finish it. I was hoping to try it again if there was a PS5 port/patch but looks like those rumors/leaks never came true. :/

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
7 is actually scary in a comedic way, RE3 is an action shooter, RE2 has some tense bits but isn't really *scary*, 8 has its couple of moments

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
From most scary to least scary.
RE7
RE8
RE2
RE3

EditAfter some thinking, I'm putting RE8 ahead of 2.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
i played the entirety of the re2 remake at night alone in my livingroom in headphones under the influence of some plant medicine and it was absolutely terrifying.

Jun 23, 2019
I would say 7>8>2>3 in terms of scariness. I played 7 in VR and it was absolutely terrifying. Village had moments where I was scared, but some parts where it's total action and not that bad. 2 is scary because of Mr. X, but as the game progresses it isn't that bad. 3 was just pure action lol.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The first ~30% of Resident Evil 7 is a straight up horror game and it's awesome, but from there it sorta settles in to being more of an action thriller with a few scary elements.

The remakes of RE2 and RE3 are much more action heavy, very few legitimately scary moments as the pacing and tone is completely different from RE7/RE8.

RE8 is sort of in between RE2 and RE7, it has a lot of action and some quieter moments with plenty of horror, it's a really good mix of everything the franchise has done since RE6.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I couldn't finish RE2make because of the way they changed the Tyrant. My anxiety was too high and I had to put it down. Too bad because I was really enjoying the game.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna act all tough and say what the hell are people talking about the brief scary moment in RE8, but then I remembered. Fuck me man, that was scary for real, for real. I think that was peak horror of any of the RE games.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I say play 4 next, you won't be disappointed. You'll really love 4, i just know it. I'm not sure if you'll enjoy 2make, 3make and 7 though (never played 8). 7 feels scary and you feel defenseless in the beginning but as you continue, you feel more and more capable and it's not as scary anymore and feels like an RE game. 2make is my favorite but it's mostly tense and a lot like REmake but BETTER. Controls and feels a lot better but you didn't seem to enjoy REmake as much. A lot of backtracking, puzzle-solving and etc. At least my 2 cents.

Edit: you'll enjoy REV 2, it feels like RE5-lite since you can co-op but your partner has limited actions. REV1 has no story co op. Both Rev 1 and Rev 2 have a decent mercenaries mini game that you can also co op and it's fun to upgrade your gear and level up. They both play like RE4/5 and are more action than horror

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
2 and 3 didn't scare me at all.

7 is overall scariest.

8 has the scariest part in the series but isn't scariest overall.

May 10, 2018
I'm a coward so I quit RE2 Remake right before you leave the parking garage. I managed to make it to the end of RE3 Remake without much issue.

I doubt I'll ever play any 1st person RE game.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
REmake - not much scary as its atmosphere and overall vulnerability keeps a certain level of tension and dread through-out. Nothing a warm shotgun in your inventory cant help with though.

0 - similar to remake in terms of scares tho not done as well. it also has its quirks that may or may not drive you up a wall.

REmake 2 - similar to 1 with its atmosphere, but due to its more modern controls it can feel a little less tense, but it still offers its share of jump scares. theres also a few intense sequences that may make your palms sweat. In terms of "new" RE's imo this is the best.

3 /REmake - the remake is almost a full blown action game with little horror aspects outside of zombies. Its decent for what it is though it is very short. The original tends to be substantially more intense due to how they handle Nemesis which imo along with other design choices makes the original a better game for me. The remake is still solid and probably more up your alley.

CV - similar to remake in its design, but due to the tech its atmosphere isnt quite as thick. Standard entry to the series so if you like remake youll probably like CV and if you hated it then CV isnt going to surprise you. not very scary outside of a few "boo" moments.

Rev1/2 - decent action horror games with 1 being more into atmosphere and 2 being more into action. Presentation wise theyre fairly budget, but are solid for what they are. 2 actually has coop but maybe not what youd expect coming off of 5/6.

4 - like Remake 1 is considered a cornerstone of the series. 5 takes a LOT of its design from 4 and in some ways improves upon it like controls, mechanics and presentation, but imo 5 still doesnt capture the overall varied design in 4. if you can get used tot he more clunky controls then 4 can offer something quiet amazing in its scenario design. outside of the intensity of combat encounters its not really scary. Well outside a few certain moments towards the end.

7/8 - 7 is much more focused on horror than pretty much any other title in the series. Extremely thick and disgusting atmosphere with more hide and seek type gameplay due to vulnerability and limited movement. However as mentioned thats mostly in the first few hours. Afterwards it turns into more action focused barring one 30min gameplay sequence later in the game. 8 is a mix of 7's story continuation and mechanics with some RE4/5 design choices thrown in. Almost all action outside of one specific sequence. Youd probably like 8 more, but kinda requires knowing 7's story.

With allll that said every RE eventually turns into an action game. After the first few hours you tend to have more resources than you know what to do with (assuming you arnt shooting at a wall half the time and arnt playing them on their highest difficulty) and "i need to run like hell!" eventually turns into "i must murder everything". So really if youre looking for action you can find it in any of them though maybe not as bombastic as 5/6's action (REmake 3 is kinda up there with its absurdity at points).

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE7 is the scariest of the bunch. It is the scariest game in the series.

REmake 2 is intense.

REmake 3 is similar to RE4 and an action game.

RE8 is an interesting game. It is more action focused but one part in the game can be considered the scariest part in the whole series.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Scariest part of RE7 was Capcom thinking the enemy variety was good enough.🤣

Only the first hour or so of the game is suspenseful.

RE2 and RE3 arent really scary in the slightest.

Havent played RE8 yet.

I think you'll be more than fine.

OP
OP
Benzychenz

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
REmake - not much scary as its atmosphere and overall vulnerability keeps a certain level of tension and dread through-out. Nothing a warm shotgun in your inventory cant help with though.

0 - similar to remake in terms of scares tho not done as well. it also has its quirks that may or may not drive you up a wall.

REmake 2 - similar to 1 with its atmosphere, but due to its more modern controls it can feel a little less tense, but it still offers its share of jump scares. theres also a few intense sequences that may make your palms sweat. In terms of "new" RE's imo this is the best.

3 /REmake - the remake is almost a full blown action game with little horror aspects outside of zombies. Its decent for what it is though it is very short. The original tends to be substantially more intense due to how they handle Nemesis which imo along with other design choices makes the original a better game for me. The remake is still solid and probably more up your alley.

CV - similar to remake in its design, but due to the tech its atmosphere isnt quite as thick. Standard entry to the series so if you like remake youll probably like CV and if you hated it then CV isnt going to surprise you. not very scary outside of a few "boo" moments.

Rev1/2 - decent action horror games with 1 being more into atmosphere and 2 being more into action. Presentation wise theyre fairly budget, but are solid for what they are. 2 actually has coop but maybe not what youd expect coming off of 5/6.

4 - like Remake 1 is considered a cornerstone of the series. 5 takes a LOT of its design from 4 and in some ways improves upon it like controls, mechanics and presentation, but imo 5 still doesnt capture the overall varied design in 4. if you can get used tot he more clunky controls then 4 can offer something quiet amazing in its scenario design. outside of the intensity of combat encounters its not really scary. Well outside a few certain moments towards the end.

7/8 - 7 is much more focused on horror than pretty much any other title in the series. Extremely thick and disgusting atmosphere with more hide and seek type gameplay due to vulnerability and limited movement. However as mentioned thats mostly in the first few hours. Afterwards it turns into more action focused barring one 30min gameplay sequence later in the game. 8 is a mix of 7's story continuation and mechanics with some RE4/5 design choices thrown in. Almost all action outside of one specific sequence. Youd probably like 8 more, but kinda requires knowing 7's story.

With allll that said every RE eventually turns into an action game. After the first few hours you tend to have more resources than you know what to do with (assuming you arnt shooting at a wall half the time and arnt playing them on their highest difficulty) and "i need to run like hell!" eventually turns into "i must murder everything". So really if youre looking for action you can find it in any of them though maybe not as bombastic as 5/6's action (REmake 3 is kinda up there with its absurdity at points).
Amazing post, thank you!

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
RE7 = Scary throughout
RE2 = Scary at times
RE8 = Scary at times (especially beginning)
RE3 = Rarely scary

you have to build atmosphere which the OG RE games did so so well.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I have only played RE7 and REmake 2 out of those. RE7 might not be for you then, as it is quite scary especially in the first few hours.
RE2 has great atmosphere and I remember I found it quite a bit scary stumbling through the police station on my first run.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
This is very subjective, but imo,

Re7 and Re2R can be surprsingly scary,
Re3R doesn't even try to be scary
Re8 tries to be scary, but it falls flat entirely, even one infamously "scary" sequence is too scripted and formulaic to work beyond first minute or so.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on your tolerance for horror, how used to these types of games you are, etc.

I don't want to say RE2 remake is a terrifying game, but if you go into it blind I definitely think it can be pretty tense at times! RE3 remake much less so. RE3 remake is more of an action game though it may be a bit tense here and there -- for the most part it's just a fun shooting game.

RE7 is probably the scariest in the whole franchise, with a lot of genuinely scary or tense moments particularly in the first half

RE8 was very minimal on suspense/scares, it had one section that was pretty intense, but for the most part it was a breezy play.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
We should have some kind of measurement for scariness that we can put on the tin, like Scoville for spiciness. I propose "Schofield" after Glen Schofield.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I found 7 more gross than scary, that meal scene with the Bakers made me want to vomit.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
7 is the only scary one. 2 is pretty tense at certain points though . 3 is an action movie.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
RE 8 has one section that's absolutely terrifying. Also the parts where the … tall lady is involved can be very tense. But it's mostly action, similar to RE4.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So, I argue that the difficulty setting should be considered with some of these games, as the horror definitely shines when there are genuine threats present. Here is my ranking...

Horror
  • Resident Evil 7 is a horror game. Though the horror diminishes considerably in the third act of the game. Still, it is among the most "pure" horror games in the series. Easily.
Horror with Action
  • Resident Evil 2: Remake is more horror focused than the original title (in my opinion). There is plenty of tension there.
  • Resident Evil 8 balances horror and action VERY nicely on the Hardcore difficulty. I would consider it pretty close to Resident Evil 2: Remake in terms of horror. If you want more of an action experience then you should drop the difficulty down to standard.
Action with Horror Elements
  • Resident Evil 3: Remake, on the Hardcore difficulty, still has SOME tension, but it is absolutely more of an action experience. Dropping it down to the standard difficulty makes it nearly pure action (with horror theming). The only tension in that game can be found in the hardcore setting.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
RE7 is quite scary, especially for the first couple of hours. But it's rather tense throughout.
RE2 remake has some awesome horror moments.
RE8 isn't very scary. Though if you play on Hardcore or Village of Shadows, the difficulty certainly adds some tension.
RE3 remake isn't scary.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Resident Evil 2 Remake: Scary and intimidating (especially Mr. X and those fucking Plant fuckers)
Resident Evil 7: Super Scary when playing with a headset.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the RE7 demo in VR. Very scary. Excited to play the full game when I have the time

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
"It's spooky": 7
"Has its moments": 2R > REmake >> Rev1 > Rev 2
"Haunted house ride": 0 > CV
"Lol": 3R >> 5

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2 predominantly conveys a lot of its scary moments via game mechanics. The scary aspect mainly comes from things like being unprepared and having Mr.X show up in the most inconvenient time to throw a monkey wrench into your planned pathing, though the presentation certainly makes a killer impression too.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
That part in 8 is the most terrifying section in the entire franchise. The sense of place, soundesign, creepy environment and that thing.

7 has its moments at the beginning, but fell flat as it went on. Molded are not scary to me at all.

The rest on the list isn't scary at all for me.

That section in 8 is enough for me to put it on the top.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the fear in RE comes from the creeping dread of running out of ammo, which starts to evaporate as the game progresses and you have more ammo than you know what to do with.

There's a few jump scares. RE2 for me was pretty scary, but RE7 is overall the most oppressively scary. There's one bit in RE7 that really scared me but it doesn't go on for long.

I don't remember 8 being scary at all... at one point, I almost fell out of my chair in fear but it was only a pig running past me screaming.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Resident Evil 7 has one thing and that is that it is very scary in the first hours and then the level drops a lot.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Only 7 is scary and that's mainly in the beginning. I'm baffled at people calling RE2 scary cause I didn't find it scary at all. Not that that's a bad thing for me since I don't play this series for horror mainly the wacky characters/story and the gameplay.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 in VR is fucking harrowing.

I'd say REmake 2 is decently tense. REmake 3 also has its moments, albeit not many.

RE8 is probably the least scary entry in the franchise. I know the part some people call scary, but I not only disagree, I find that stretch of the game to be so scripted and paint-by-numbers in its approach it may as well be anti-horror.

Mar 19, 2020
7 is scary initially but you get used to it and you get good offensive capabilities.

The others arent scary. More tense at times than anything else.