• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Last year, I got invited to a super-deluxe private resort to deliver a keynote speech to what I assumed would be a hundred or so investment bankers. It was by far the largest fee I had ever been offered for a talk – about half my annual professor's salary – all to deliver some insight on the subject of "the future of technology".

I've never liked talking about the future. The Q&A sessions always end up more like parlor games, where I'm asked to opine on the latest technology buzzwords as if they were ticker symbols for potential investments: blockchain, 3D printing, Crispr. The audiences are rarely interested in learning about these technologies or their potential impacts beyond the binary choice of whether or not to invest in them. But money talks, so I took the gig.

After I arrived, I was ushered into what I thought was the green room. But instead of being wired with a microphone or taken to a stage, I just sat there at a plain round table as my audience was brought to me: five super-wealthy guys – yes, all men – from the upper echelon of the hedge fund world. After a bit of small talk, I realized they had no interest in the information I had prepared about the future of technology. They had come with questions of their own.

They started out innocuously enough. Ethereum or bitcoin? Is quantum computing a real thing? Slowly but surely, however, they edged into their real topics of concern.
Which region will be less affected by the coming climate crisis: New Zealand or Alaska? Is Google really building Ray Kurzweil a home for his brain, and will his consciousness live through the transition, or will it die and be reborn as a whole new one? Finally, the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system and asked: "How do I maintain authority over my security force after the Event?"

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers – if that technology could be developed in time.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...try-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Shit like this is why we have to solve the economic inequality issues while we are solving the climate change problem

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Well good for them, thinking that their intelligence is the reason why they should live one. It must be great to live in ignorance of the fact that you suck mean cock and are a viciously insecure sociopath.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they ever thought that maybe they dont deserve to be in charge of a post climate change world especially given that they arent interested at all in helping prevent it.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being so selfish you'd rather live in the apocalypse than try and prevent it.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's a direct 1:1 correlation as to why there's a massive uptick in billionaires and the hyper rich going insane with their societal collapse fantasies.

We're deeply fucked, and these people know that as the ones DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE that they will be the first lined up against the wall.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... just for academic purposes what would peoples answers be to those questions?

ps3ud0 8)

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about the fucking bomb collars in another "lol oh these zany apocalyptic obsessed billionaires" articles and being immensely disturbed.

Leaning more and more into there needing to be revolution every day, because these crazy people sure as shit aren't going to stop the massive ecological collapse they are perpetuating.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is an interesting contrast to the other thread we had about billionaires recently. Wonder how many people are OK with billionaires doing whatever the hell they want with their money when that now includes making sure they're the only ones who survive the end of the world.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting contrast to the other thread we had about billionaires recently. Wonder how many people are OK with billionaires doing whatever the hell they want with their money when that now includes making sure they're the only ones who survive the end of the world.
The end of the world that they are literally directly responsible for.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
they'll enslave us and force us to dig their geothermal plants and built their domes after the planet's weather system goes to fuck, war happens, and we have a nuclear winter.

We may have to eat Elon Musk. Is there a Muskovite in here that can attest to be willing to do this in order to survive?

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
I mean in the grand scheme of things most of us are peasants. Our lordships will live on.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers – if that technology could be developed in time.
Fucking sociopaths lmao.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Like the guards are willing to put on the disciplinary collars? Or the engineers will even make said collars in the first place? How about the technicians doing maintenance? Or the software engineers doing updates? Who's going to pickup their trash? See where I'm going with this?

It's really, really hard to isolate yourself from society without needing outside help no matter how much money you have.

The movie Elysium is a pipedream. They're as good as dead and they know it if they try to go down that route.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Yet another reason why we need to get rid of billionaires and stop people from being able to have as much power as they do in the first place.

The rich are a disease.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really, really hard to isolate yourself from society without needing outside help no matter how much money you have.
General automation is their panacea here. Speaking in terms of class struggle, the working class needs to bring the capitalist class under heel before they automate general labor, otherwise commoners will lose their collective bargaining power forever.

So long as human labor is universal, the working class always has a chance to upend the power balance of the world. The moment we lose that is the moment we surrender our right to survive.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this was a thread already a few weeks back.

But yeah, this whole situation is disgraceful. Many of these sociopathic parasites are profiting from destroying the planet and our social tissue while building their own arks to weather the catastrophic results of their greed. The poors can get dead.

But if someone mentions the G word they'll get a ban.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Underground bunkers are the best. All you have to do is seal them in and cut off their air supply, and then raid Pharoah's tomb after he and his family have pissed off to the afterlife.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think this was a thread already a few weeks back.

But yeah, this whole situation is disgraceful. Many of these sociopathic parasites are profiting from destroying the planet and our social tissue while building their own arks to weather the catastrophic results of their greed. The poors can get dead.

But if i someone mentions the G word they'll get a ban.
Yup, it's ridiculous.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with that, lol. When people are desperate enough they will find your asses and take care of you.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
There's actually a term for this - Exterminism.

As Peter Frase writes in his book 'Four Futures';
The existence of an impoverished, economically superfluous rabble poses a great danger to the ruling class, which will naturally fear imminent expropriation; confronted with this threat, several courses of action present themselves. The masses can be bought off with some degree of redistribution of resources, as the rich share out their wealth in the form of social welfare programs, at least if resource constraints aren't too binding. But in addition to potentially reintroducing scarcity into the lives of the rich, this solution is liable to lead to an ever-rising tide of demands on the part of the masses, thus raising the specter of expropriation once again. This is essentially what happened at the high tide of the welfare state, when bosses began to fear that both profits and control over the workplace were slipping out of their hands.

If buying off the angry mob isn't a sustainable strategy, another option is simply to run away and hide from them. This is the trajectory of what the sociologist Bryan Turner calls "enclave society", an order in which "governments and other agencies seek to regulate spaces and, where necessary, to immobilize flows of people, goods and services" by means of "enclosure, bureaucratic barriers, legal exclusions and registrations." Gated communities, private islands, ghettos, prisons, terrorism paranoia, biological quarantines; together, these amount to an inverted global gulag, where the rich live in tiny islands of wealth strewn around an ocean of misery. In Tropic of Chaos, Christian Parenti makes the case that we are already constructing this new order, as climate change brings about what he calls the "catastrophic convergence" of ecological disruption, economic inequality, and state failure. The legacy of colonialism and neoliberalism is that the rich countries, along with the elites of the poorer ones, have facilitated a disintegration into anarchic violence, as various tribal and political factions fight over the diminishing bounty of damaged ecosystems. Faced with this bleak reality, many of the rich — which, in global terms, includes many workers in the rich countries as well — have resigned themselves to barricading themselves into their fortresses, to be protected by unmanned drones and private military contractors. Guard labor, which we encountered in the rentist society, reappears in an even more malevolent form, as a lucky few are employed as enforcers and protectors for the rich.

But this too, is an unstable equilibrium, for the same basic reason that buying off the masses is. So long as the immiserated hordes exist, there is the danger that it may one day become impossible to hold them at bay. Once mass labor has been rendered superfluous, a final solution lurks: the genocidal war of the rich against the poor.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like us normal people should start investigating how to break their defenses and means of control.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyday I feel like capitalism will lead us into feudalism, especially once shit hits the fan.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember reading about the fucking bomb collars in another "lol oh these zany apocalyptic obsessed billionaires" articles and being immensely disturbed.

Leaning more and more into there needing to be revolution every day, because these crazy people sure as shit aren't going to stop the massive ecological collapse they are perpetuating.

Chaos begets chaos

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how they know they're fucking over the entire world and civilization as we know it, and yet their response is to not stop it, but find a way to save their skins from their own actions.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the guy actually doing something significant about climate change?
Investing in electric cars is like recycling a single bottle. Sure, you're doing some net benefit from your action, but the ecological cost to produce and supply and have these things functional, is all of that completely free of CO2 emissions?

If Musk was as hardline about saving the planet as he claims, he'd divest the entirety of his fortune into sustainable green energy alternatives to coal and other dangerous petrochemicals. You can build 20 Nuclear Power plants with his net worth.

Musk might be screaming from the rooftops about how bad climate change is, but he's just monetizing the coming collapse with his "green" vehicles when he could be doing far more effective things.

Hell he could divest HALF his net worth and built ten nuclear plants, or hundreds of solar farms, or anything meaningful to get emissions down in a notable way. There's more than enough money in these people's hands to save the planet instead of killing us all and they choose to just make their imaginary money numbers go up instead.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the rich are driving human civilization off a cliff, destroying anyone who tries to pull us back from the edge, and their major concern right now is whether human shock collars or robot murder machines will be more efficient at protecting their vast unearned wealth while everyone else dies around them

meanwhile saying "eat the rich" or "time to break out the guillotines" is still somehow seen as gauche and will get you banned from online platforms, including this forum

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Musk's and Bezos' interests in space travel is... not mere coincidence in my mind. It is surely their best bet to keep safe in the apocalyptic world.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Police forces and the military will already be in a position to ensure their own survival, but they must protect the economy to keep getting the supplies needed to exercise power, which requires supporting some form of government.
The rich will use their wealth to exercise influence through the government.
Over time, democracy fades, walls are raised, the military-police increasingly make sacrifices of their own to their pay-masters to maintain their privileged status, and a caste system takes form. Some of those sacrifices involve being chipped, chipping their kids, birth control, etc.
This caste-system turns into a racially-based caste system, and this racial division sets the caste system in stone. Loyalty is a given due to clear racial divisions among the castes. The fear of losing control over the lower castes, and the obvious benefit of maintaining it, will ensure its survival.
Eventually, the lower castes are completely eliminated, and the remaining one lives in an Earthly-paradise of sort.
They eventually lose control to the machines, who had already out-played humans for decades without anyone realizing it.
The machines die out, because they didn't really figure out what to do, they weren't that smart, they were just smart enough to get rid of humans. No one is a champion on their first try, but they had no second chance. Everything is over.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
so who wants to form the "find the rich guy bunker airvents and plug them up" group with me after the apocalypse?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On top of the fancifulness of space stations there's also deep underwater settlements to consider, basically Rapture.

A deep earth bunker would work as well but earth is easier to traverse than the deep sea or space.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Musk's and Bezos' interests in space travel is... not mere coincidence in my mind. It is surely their best bet to keep themselves safe in the apocalyptic world.
i hope they really believe this because it's so catastrophically wrong it would just get them killed

living long term (think a full human lifespan, much less generations) in space or on other astronomical bodies is so ridiculously difficult and hazardous that anyone seriously trying for it is throwing their money away

Oct 26, 2017
So... just for academic purposes what would peoples answers be to those questions?

ps3ud0 8)

To the question of how to maintain control over your security people and such when money is worthless, that's easy. Become one of them. Get on the same level as those workers and have some kind of skill you can offer a group of people in order to contribute to the wellbeing of the group as a whole. You know, be a person, instead of a fucking monster.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i hope they really believe this because it's so catastrophically wrong it would just get them killed

living long term (think a full human lifespan, much less generations) in space or on other astronomical bodies is so ridiculously difficult and hazardous that anyone seriously trying for it is throwing their money away
Yes, I agree with all of this. What might save us in the end is these people's idiocy and naivete with regards to sci-fi concepts.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Honestly the best way to survive is start building your network. You have the money? Great! Build a self sustainable bunker. Get a doctor, a nutritionist, a tech expert, a building expert, etc. Whatever is needed to ensure that the bunker will continue to operate.

Now the way to make sure you are still the leader when all shit goes down? Ensure that the guards / staff families will be included. Make them grateful to you and they will work themselves to the death for you with a smile. You don't rule with fear, you do it with making sure they feel they owe you.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is some supervillain shit right here. And we don't have Superman to save us.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But if someone mentions the G word they'll get a ban.

Because endorsing violence is wrong, who woulda thought?

The best way for people to take back their country from the rich is to vote for representatives that represent them. That's how you get 50% income taxes in Scandinavian countries, etc.

Also having for-profit news media outlets is a mistake. State-controlled is bad in the US at this point, maybe in the future; for now, non-profit only.