• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

How the hell are radio stations still a thing?

Oct 27, 2017
Expand your mind OP. I have Spotify premium, and I listen to the radio 85% of the time I’m in my car.

When I was driving Lyft, even on 14 hour days, I would listen to the radio all day. I love my local station - 103.5 fm, best of 60s, 70s and 80s. I wouldn’t want my phones notifications to go through my speakers. And since I didn’t be want to turn phone on silent, because I relied on the audio notifications, it didn’t bother me one bit.

I’ve been using my Spotify a little more lately, but I still love my local radio. PLus some of the local smaller stations around here are crazy awesome.

I'm with you OP. When people tell me they listen to the radio I'm just like... why?
I listen to BBC Radio 2 almost every day. Sometimes it's just noise in the background, sometimes it's because I like their little quiz shows and interviews, obviously the news every hour is a plus and arguably the most important part is the musicians they introduce you to that you otherwise wouldn't have heard of.

Oct 25, 2017
Curated content is still better than streaming services, unless you only want to listen to a certain genre or the same or similar artist.

Add in live sessions and good presenters and why wouldn’t it be better still? Love me some six music

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have unlimited data or streaming built into my car so I usually listen to my ipod or the radio. If you don't want to listen to it, just don't listen to it, why does it make you so angry?

Oct 27, 2017
older people, cars, broke people with shitty phones / poor service.

Even grocery stores sell things like Tracfone cards and whatnot, do you think the average tracfone user is streaming on their data all the time?

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to music all day every day is shit. Local talk radio gives me news, current events, interesting stories, weather forecast, etc. and doesn’t eat data or force me to make a playlist, etc. If talk radio gets boring I have podcasts.

There’s such thing as too much of a good thing, and music at home on good headphones or speakers is more enjoyable than music on the commute.

Oct 25, 2017
Radio is awesome. Get to hear interesting music I may never have otherwise have stumbled across not picked by an algorithm, get to hear phone-in quiz contestants fumble easy questions, and get to hear ad readers SPEEEED through lengthy terms and conditions

Oct 28, 2017
Um, because there are a lot of people that:
  • Drive to work daily
  • Might not have enough data to stream music daily
  • Enjoy some radio content (sports radio, NPR).
  • Don't have the means to connect their phone to their car, or don't want to.
  • Have satellite radio
Yup. And built in radios just work in seconds. Dont need android auto paired and special software and setup. Keep in mind the majority of people over 50 probably have cable because getting streaming setup on each TV is a pain in the ass for them or inconsistent which confuses them.

In austin I usually put on KMFA and get exposure to lots of classical music I've never heard and probably wouldn't have with other means.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer radio. It plays songs that I would totally never think of downloading. There’s so much songs out there that I forget exist. It also makes me learn about artists I never would have on my own.

Oct 27, 2017
In the US? Data caps. That and it's usually much easier to tune to a radio station vs using a phone, since bluetooth is hella slow to connect. So, the interface in car. Also, streaming content is way too fragmented at the moment.

Oct 25, 2017
My daily driver has CarPlay, which I do use sometimes to listen to music on my phone, Apple Music, or Pandora. But I think I more often listen to XM or the local NPR station. There are a couple of other local stations I'll listen to from time to time. My truck from 2006 has FM/AM and a CD player. I have some CDs in it, but I'll typically just listen to the radio. I don't typically drive the thing very far, so it's not worth putting in an aftermarket head unit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
OP, tell me, how can people listen to discussions on breaking news whilst they commute? How can people listen to traffic reports, weather, and debate on current topics on the move? Dont say podcast, thats radio, but downloadable and usually old (a day late is old).

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know. I tried listening to it the other day and it was utterly cancerous. I just bluetooth streaming audio from my phone on my commutes. I'd have to be utterly deranged to subject myself to FM radio.