• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

How the hell are radio stations still a thing?

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
I put it on when I'm driving and my podcast or whatever ends and I can't fiddle with my phone, but that's it. Radio has become infested with right-leaning bullshit.
I tune in the AM channels every once in a while just see how nutty Dennis Miller has gotten. Spoiler, nutter than squirrel shit

Dec 9, 2018
Radio is fantastic in Britain. BBC has a lot of channels, none of which have adverts. Bbc 1 is youth oriented popular music, BBC is popular music for older listeners, 1xtra is hip hop/grime/rnb, 6 music is indie /eclectic (my favorite), radio 3 is classical, radio 4 is a non music channel with news, current events, dramas, plays, comedies etc and 5 is talk radio /sports channel.

Those are the main ones but there are a lot more regional Bbc channels, including welsh language etc

The commercial radio scene is also decent and competitive.

Oct 25, 2017
How can you be mad if they say some words over a song? They are DJs, not hitting play on a playlist and calling it a day. Gotta promote and pay the bills.

This makes me realize people likely don’t listen to morning radio shows anymore. Shame.

Oct 25, 2017
I listen every day to and from work. I like the morning show I listen to plus I’ll get the news and traffic. If I don’t like the song they are playing, I’ll switch to another station for a bit. On the rare occasion I’ll plug in my phone.

Sure the commercials can be annoying but it’s not enough to get me to stop listening.

Oct 25, 2017
it's also nice to hear someone else's voice in your car that is live, as of you've joined a conversation, and if they're good, you'll be chuckling away at their quips and retorts from certain callers.

Oct 25, 2017
I have Spotify Premium and still listen to the radio all the time. Local classical station plays decent stuff,I enjoy the hosts and upcoming concert info. Also, the local college station is a hoot (KXLU). I dunno, op. Why does it bother you so much?

I like our local radio station ._. For most of my driving life I never had a car with a working CD player--or even a car WITH a CD player--so I listened to the radio. I like the DJs and the rock/safe metal they play. It's fun. I like the banter and the news and whatnot. It's not amazing by any means, but it's safe and enjoyable while I drive for 20 minutes to my job.

Plus the concert announcements!

Oct 25, 2017
Radio is fantastic in Britain.
If you're in London or possibly other big cities sure. I used to live there and had dozens of stations to choose from.

I moved to East Anglia. I now have like 5 stations

- A classical music station which sucks
- some old fart reading a book
- a local station that plays 80-present pop hits, but that has a signal that works well maybe 40% of the time.
- Another 80s-present pop.
- RnB/rap/garage works 5% of the time.

It's terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell is people not knowing how things are a still a thing, still a thing?

It’s almost like some people don’t know how things really work.

It’s like OP doesn’t know radio stations are local and can play different types of music.

Ad revenue is how they finance themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
I get listening to the radio for something to have on, but the ads, lord THE ADS! They are so frequent, and repettitive, that ends up being the thing that drives me away every time. Occasionally, I check in with a big city's station for a new flavor, but you can't get away from the ads.

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Speaking from my experience, Portugal, outside of the regular news broadcast + traffic info (with the smaller local radios still being golden about this) they've kept themselves alive here not so much for playing music, old or new, but more so by creating/executing content that has made them relevant.

Legit funny shows early in the morning to get you in a good mood on your way to work (this is I feel the BIG one) that neither TV's or webshows seems to have been able to properly counter, interesting podcasts/talks with all sorts of people, willingness to talk about less covered topics/issues wich makes in turn the people feal "heard" per say, fantastic sports coverage (from the pros to the junior leagues) with results almost daily + live broadcast of games with actual interesting commentary (rip TV + streaming pundits) and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

As a whole, they're still likely losing audiences every year to the internet based alternatives, but they've found a decent amount of success here by executing all of these things. The mourning shows in particular have been actually a major success transforming unknown radio pundits into national stars in recent years.

---

For long drives I'd rather just use my playlists and listen to my podcasts (some of which are from the radio originally though), but for my daily commutes? Radio all the way. Especially in the early mourning.

Oct 26, 2017
I listen to NPR exclusively on my car radio. Heck, I even listen to it on my phone when I'm not driving. That, or MBMBAM and a handful of other podcasts.

For whatever reason, I'm not that big on music. It's more something I have to be in the mood for. I'd rather listen to people talking, telling stories and whatnot.

Dec 10, 2018
Not everyone has modern cars with bluetooths and all that jazz. Sometimes radio is your only option..... i feel sorry for anyone that lives in like Kansas where it's either Religious talk shows or Country music lol