• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i'll be the guy with FM radio listening to music when your phone runs out of juice

i'll be the guy with FM radio listening to music when youre phone runs out of juice and
Radio is largely dead and basically only exists in cars now. It's nice to listen to NPR or oldies on your commute without fucking around on your phone.
even though i never used it i thank LG for adding an FM tuner into their phone.

Feb 1, 2018
Radio is largely dead and basically only exists in cars now. It's nice to listen to NPR or oldies on your commute without fucking around on your phone.

It's also useful in emergency situations where mobile data is knocked out, or your phone's battery might be dead, but your car's radio can still receive alerts and messages.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's enjoyable to hear people tell me relevant news to my general area as I drive and not have to go googling for it or sifting through a bunch of stupid IG/twitter posts.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Yea i listen to sports radio cause i drive all day and work 10 hour shifts. Its still a thing cause sometimes people have different opinions then you. Seems to be a hard concept to grasp these days. And why is everyone saying its for older people. Im 29

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I think they're fantastic, or have the potential to be. No other mass media offers so much cultural, divulgative content. As for music, it's mostly gone from TV, unless it's a talent show, which has more to do with show biz. On the radio, you can tune in at any moment of the day or night, and listen to some of the best pieces ever composed.

I get Internet has changed things, but there are times where it's not accesible, or you just want to relax and discover, without being the one making all the search. The radio is usually surprising, to me.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps your way of doing X is not how others prefer to do X?

Why is this even a question?

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Um, because there are a lot of people that:
  • Drive to work daily
  • Might not have enough data to stream music daily
  • Enjoy some radio content (sports radio, NPR).
  • Don't have the means to connect their phone to their car, or don't want to.
  • Have satellite radio

All of this.

Check your privilege, OP

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
also I love collecting radio station stickers, it's a weird quirk I have. If I'm listening to the radio and happen to hear that a radio station is promoting some car dealership or something that isn't all the way across town I'll stop by and grab a few stickers to add to the collection. Even done this in cities I was visiting, one time I was walking down the strip in Vegas and some rock station(105.7 or something along those lines) was there promoting something and I grabbed a couple of their stickers.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Radio is good for following news and current affairs.

Talk radio that deep dives into and analyses the latest news developments is more immediate than podcasts.

Also, over here, all the politicians are going to come on BBC radio to discuss things. They aren't going to jump on a podcast.

But when it comes to music, I don't get it. I now have an almost non-existent tolerance for listening to music that I don't like, especially when its so easy to access and listen only to the music I actually like.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Because they are part of the public broadcasting network in this country and are more than just music stations.

They offer news, entertainment and traffic information. Our local radio station offers local news as well.

But I don't know how they are in the USA.

Most radio stations in the US either play generic top 40's or right wing talk radio thanks to deregulation. A ton of radio stations are owned by one company called iheartmedia.

If you're lucky there's some local station or public radio that actually has something worth listening to.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
i'll be the guy with FM radio listening to music when your phone runs out of juice

i'll be the guy with FM radio listening to music when youre phone runs out of juice and

even though i never used it i thank LG for adding an FM tuner into their phone.

Why would my phone ever run out of juice in the car?

My sister still listens to the radio in the car and it's baffling. Commercial after fucking commercial. I'll take Apple Music in the car any day.

As for NPR? The NPR One app is leagues better than the NPR station on the radio.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Seriously I don't get it.
"If you're listening to radio 69 you know you're listening to the best of the best of the 80s, 90s and latest hits"

I don't need you to tell me why the hell I'm listening to your radio. I'd much rather you shut your mouth, especially when you're playing a song. I'm an artist too and if you talk over my track you're just an asshole. You're destroying art and force me to listen to your misogynistic 30 year old joke you need to tell me.

And how the hell do these things even finance themselves? Spotify barely makes profit and they have way more listeners who also pay for it instead of ad revenue only. God damn radio stations are all garbage unless it's 100% music without anyone ever saying anything but at that point you're better advised to just listen to a playlist on spotify.

The only circumstances where I listen to the radio nowadays is if I have no other choice and it always sucks. It's always the same garbage, how the hell can people stand that shit?

My 11 year old daughter actually loves the local morning show hosts on a station near us. She normally requests music that I stream in the car, but on school mornings she wants that station on and cracks up at their commentary. (They do a lot of prank calls, challenges, tell jokes, and other crazy stuff)

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Radio is great, especially when you find the best morning show to listen to on the way to work.
Exactly. I listen to radio on my way to work and back and when I am buying groceries. Mostly a local news station to keep up what happened. It became part of my routine.

I´m using prepaid cards for years now, can´t remember when I had a cellphone contract. So streaming music or movies is out of the question, but I realy don´t need it. Also like some said you can discover some great music while listening to different stations. I´m living in germany and we still have a lot of radio stations which we have to pay for, so I might as well listen to it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I actually pay to help support my local public radio station because their version of the news usually differs from NPR and mainstream broadcast outlets.
some of their music programmers actually went to satellite radio to help create the music programming that you love so much. but radio is free and the air waves are owned by the public, so I mainly do it out of principle.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Because local sports radio is a thing I like? Oh and NPR.

I have bluetooth, and sometimes put on streaming Spotify.. but a lot of times it's nice to just listen to Sports Radio with guys I've listened to for years.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Your crotchety complaining makes me think you're old but the fact you don't get that lots of people still listen to radio makes me think you're young.

Now I just don't what to think.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I listen to the following:

Local sports talk because there is no alternative.

A local morning show that is funny and entertaining but not in the "WE MAKE PRANK CALLS AND FART" way (Preston and Steve Show, 93.3 WMMR - stream it if not local, its really entertaining and they don't talk about too much local stuff (philly).

If Im driving to the supermarket, I just turn on the local alt rock station and don't fuss with my phone since its like 3 minutes.

Any longer drives, I'll go with Pandora, I enjoy the 'radio station' but curated for me style of it, I like it plays stuff I didn't specifically select, because thats how you hear new stuff.

Playing only your likes or your paid for tracks, eventually turns you into a person who only listens to the stuff you liked when you were 20. (its been shown that once you hit 28ish you stop liking new music, probably cause of factors like this).

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
NPR I get, but would surprise me why anyone would listen to the dozen or so top 40 stations in the area.

I'm an old fart though.

set0k

Oct 28, 2017
I listen. Sometimes I just need to drown out noise in the office and listen to some top 40. Paying for streaming or using up data isn't worth it. NPR/local news is great too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
As a sustaining member of two NPR stations in the Boston area, I believe very strongly in the value of radio. For me, public radio is such an important aspect of creating a healthy, vibrant, informed community. Radio is freely available to everyone, it requires no expensive hardware, no software, very little skill/learning curve, it's broadcast out to anybody who can pick up a signal with any thing that can receive it... from a $1 (or less) hand radio to a $2000 smartphone to a $5000 computer.

Now, someone might say, "But podcasts carry all of your favorite shows!" And I think that's true, and I primarily consume most of my favorite shows via podcast or streaming these days... Heck, I even listne to my two NPR stations via their streaming channels on my computer more so than via the radio in my car. But, those streaming channels and their podcast networks would not exist without that original investment in radio. While for-profit, ad-driven podcasting networks started around ~2010 (with Earwolf probably being the first major one), the industry wouldn't exist without radio, and specifically, the consortium of stations that make up American National Public Radio.

Commercial radio described in the OP has existed because advertising on commercial radio has, historically, been a lot more effective than advertising on the internet. This is changing, but advertising on commercial radio used to be a very effective method of getting people to buy something or do something. The internet introduced this massive race to the bottom on advertising so we think of it as an ineffective method of social engineering, but in the right format, it's not. This is pretty evident with podcasting. Companies like Earwolf and Gimlet have sold for many millions of dollars (Earwold $50m about 5 years ago, Gimlet $200m about 2 months ago), because people have a special connection to engaging audio and advertising... even with the "skip" controls.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I listen to the following:

Local sports talk because there is no alternative.

I do this too, especially as football gets closer. Our local station is actually sponsored by/is an official radio station of Clemson Football.

Obviously my local sports talk is pretty enjoyable/having a good time right now, haha.

Playing only your likes or your paid for tracks, eventually turns you into a person who only listens to the stuff you liked when you were 20. (its been shown that once you hit 28ish you stop liking new music, probably cause of factors like this).

Something I do (I'm 36) is I listen to every single "New Release" album every two weeks. I give each album (no matter the genre) a "two song chance" to grab my attention, then I move on.

I've found some good stuff doing that.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I like to just put something on and feel relieved that I have no control over what's playing

There's a tangible sense of exhilaration when a song you haven't thought of in forever, maybe one you'd never add to a playlist, but loved all the same pops up out of nowhere. Sometimes it's mentally freeing to not have to make an active decision on what I'm doing all the time.

Also, anyone that listens to radio barely hears ads. You have your 5-8 presets and when one goes to commercial you filter through.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
NPR is pretty sweet.

Sports radio in NYC is a fucking hoot.

NJ 101.5 is northeast boomer conservative fucko and classic rock garbage rag.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I go through periods of time when I'll listen to a lot of BBC6 Music, because I like the stuff they play, but crucially they play enough stuff that I've never heard of before, which keeps my interest fresh.

BBC Radio 4 is good for car journeys and lazy weekends.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would my phone ever run out of juice in the car?

My sister still listens to the radio in the car and it's baffling. Commercial after fucking commercial. I'll take Apple Music in the car any day.

As for NPR? The NPR One app is leagues better than the NPR station on the radio.
Some ads are actually entertaining.

I don't. But it annoys me being forced to listen to it. It's like being forced to watch FOX news.
How ...?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Radio Stations are GPS locators that tell you how far you are from a US city.

Tune to NPR then drive in any direction from the city. Depending on your origin point it will change to Mariachi, New Country, Jesus Prosperity Scam Pastor, Angry Racist Talkshow or Christian Rock. You can use this to accurately calculate compass direction and miles traveled.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sports talk radio for me. Also my daily driven car is almost 20 years old lol, no connection for my phone. If I listen to music it's generally my CDs.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I drive to and from work everyday and I love listening to some Elvis Duran in the morning, shit is funny to me. Radio is also a haven for advertisement. Just because you don't listen to it doesn't mean a hell of a lot of other people don't.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Lemon Crest

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The worst is when all of the stations playing the similar genre of music go to commercial at the same time.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I put it on when I'm driving and my podcast or whatever ends and I can't fiddle with my phone, but that's it. Radio has become infested with right-leaning bullshit.