• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i like listening to radio in the car. they tell me the news and play new songs i like. i don't have the energy to find music to listen to in the morning.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Classical music, NPR and sports talk stations all get some amount of play in my car through the week.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't. But it annoys me being forced to listen to it. It's like being forced to watch FOX news.
what the fuck is this post

Y'all I don't have a data plan either, I prefer not listening to anything while driving a car than be forced to listen to any radio station whatsoever.
I mean...so? Why are we supposed to care about you or your preferences on this matter?

I don't understand.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
1. Our local NPR station (KCUR) is great and our non-NPR community radio station (KKFI) is fucking phenomenal, full of curated, hosted shows full of music I promise you wouldn't find on your own.

2. We have a couple of local sports talk stations that are great (for the most part).

3. As far as commercial music stations go, we have a couple of drive time DJs on our local Alt station (KRBZ) who I'm sure you'd love to broadly paint as "30 year old toxi-matic jokes" or whatever, but I think they're actually pretty damned entertaining most of the time, and half the city grew up with them. Also, the station breaks new music all the time if you like alternative rock.

4. We have a butt rock station (KQRC) that I don't really like the music on, but the morning DJ, Johnny Dare, is a local treasure. At first you may think he's just a typical old school shock jock, but his interview skills are elite, and his charity work around Christmastime is an old Kansas City tradition that WILL make you cry, trust me. (this, every day or two from late November until Christmas, for the last 25 years: https://989therock.radio.com/categories/hope-holidays?page=0,0) 😫

5. Sometimes I just want to roll down the windows and hear some classic rock or whatever.

6. I never really liked pop music much. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Hold up a sec, do some of you no longer have any cds in your car? Its just all streaming? WTF...

I've had my current vehicle for five years and never used the CD player once.

In fact, I haven't played a cd in a car(or anywhere else) for nearly twenty years. It was ipods for a long time, then downloaded music on iPhone, then streaming.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly when it comes to music channels I have no clue! They play the same fucking songs over and over and over no matter what genre you listen to.

I used to hear "Save Radio stations!" Commercials all the time a few years back before I streamed all my music. Here is an idea guys: STOP PLAYING THE SAME SHIT CONSTANTLY AND MAYBE PEOPLE WOULD LISTEN AGAIN!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
BBC Radio 4's where it's at. More radio stations would be well-served by a liberal application of Just A Minute.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

In fact, I haven't played a cd in a car(or anywhere else) for nearly twenty years. It was ipods for a long time, then downloaded music on iPhone, then streaming.

I have most likely 75-80 cds in my car atm.

0-0 we live in different realities lol.

Also wow that 40k doesn't get you a cd player.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
My wife works for NPR, so I'd have to say that I am happy that radio is still a thing. That said, I used to work in commercial radio and that can die a thousand deaths.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the radio. I listen to it daily on my commute. I got a old school jazz station, npr, 80s 90s station and local news. All of which I can change between witha button while driving. I also love getting thst unexpected song that just brightens up your day. Gets you singing out loud lol

Not mention local ads for upcoming events or sales you might want to hit up.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That sounds awful. Trying to fiddle with cds while driving? Fuck no.

Its the art of picking and sticking until you make a stop at a gas station, store or what not. For a long drive its radio and then a cd then change and repeat.

that's just ridiculous.

The voice activated Google assistant sucks, so it makes it difficult to change song on the fly... if I use my cellphone I'll just set it up like a cd and set it and then go.

The radio and the presets avoid all of these problems!

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still listen to the radio. Yeah, it has annoying elements, but it's free. You get what you pay for. Don't want to pay for premium services or unlimited data and it beats driving in silence. So the radio it is.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Because radio is just about everywhere. I listen to radio like 80% of the time when I'm driving. Its also usually playing at work. Its hassle free. I don't subscribe to any music streaming service and I'm not going to waste my data streaming music when I can't get wifi.

RivalCore

Oct 28, 2017
I feel the OP's hot take, like so many other hot takes, assumes everything they dislike is an homogeneous blob and that throwing out declarative statements like "All radio stations are garbage" is just an ignorant view.

I myself listen to talk radio to get my local and national news (Ireland) in the afternoon at work. As well as cultural and societal discussion of current issues. There's also decent personalities just like on every podcast and stream. I mean...is it really that hard to fathom why people listen to radio? It's just a medium.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Radio stations reach a ton of people. It's that simple.

Also, holy shit OP, what a stupid and self-serious take.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Thankfully I can use Alexa in it (I have Amazon Music). I do find it strange that a vehicle with an MSRP (after tags/taxes) of $40k doesn't have a CD player though, lol. That's how things are now though.

Being able to tell Siri to play certain album or playlist while driving my Tiguan is like magic to me.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn radio stations are all garbage

Listener supported independent radio, is pretty much how I discover new music now.
I recommend giving stations like CHIRP, and KEXP a listen.

In regards to CHIRP, each DJ has a different musical tastes so on an average day of listening I am hearing things from a lot of different genres.
As an example last week, I heard a single from a band called Wand that just kind of showed up in the middle of a set comprised of Metal, Hip-Hop and 'The Prince song of the week'.

I have tried a lot of streaming services, but they all end up keeping me in the same sphere of music and that is really lame to me.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I still listen to the local rock station when I'm in my car because out of all the places I've been it's the best rock station I've ever found on the radio and it's got a much better mix than all the Sirius rock stations have.

I don't have to stream music from my phone (which I will have had to have already loaded onto my phone from my music library, because I'm not about to use mobile data on streaming from a website).
I don't have to pay for a subscription to something like Pandora or Spotify.
I don't have to put in a CD (and then listen to just a bunch of songs from the same band in a row).
I get to hear bands I don't know about and new songs from bands I like (If I'm just playing from my music library then it's just songs I already have).
I get to hear about concerts that are going to be in the area.
Weather and traffic reports are sometimes useful.

I...don't understand the hate? Present me with a more convenient alternative.

For real, though, someone teach me how people find new music these days, because I'm sure I'm missing a lot of good stuff by relying on just the radio.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Its the art of picking and sticking until you make a stop at a gas station, store or what not. For a long drive its radio and then a cd then change and repeat.

The voice activated Google assistant sucks, so it makes it difficult to change song on the fly... if I use my cellphone I'll just set it up like a cd and set it and then go.

The radio and the presets avoid all of these problems!

Were you living in a cave during the whole iPod era? ;)

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I do listen to CDs in my car on occasion, but really connecting my phone via bluetooth is so much easier than CDs. Most newer cars have good enough infotainment centers and have buttons on the steering wheel that make it so you don't have to pull out your phone and mess with it. The other factor is making playlists, which is like the old school way of making mix tapes/CDs but way way easier. I have made so many playlists for different situations and moods. Really only have a few standard CDs in my car that I never take out, like Jim Croce or Eagles or Zeppelin's Mothership.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Do you have a 90s CD binder? 3x3? 2x3?

Two binders and a visor binder! Its a system.

(I can't afford a newer car)

Were you living in a cave during the whole iPod era? ;)

I was around, got into cds right as iTunes was getting up, eventually ran into a situation where it became easiest and most comfortable to listen to music in the car and used a portable cd player with cassette adapter until I got a newer car.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I don't want to pay tostream something I'm only going to halfass listen to on my commute to work. Plus live traffic and weather on the 15 and 45 of every hour.

OP
OP
SweetVermouth

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I feel the OP's hot take, like so many others, assumes everything they dislike is an homogeneous blob and that throwing out declarative statements like "All radio stations are garbage" is just an ignorant view.
Y'all are taking this too seriously. Obviously I know that people enjoy them I just have problems understanding why and people look at me like I'm a freak when I ask them to turn off the radio when I can't stand it.

Anyway my main point was in how do these things still exist because I couldn't imagine them doing so with ads only but I guess I was wrong.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
If OP was correct, then Grand Theft Auto games would make no sense.

they are 50% about driving around and listening to the radio.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

I use to carry 6 or 7 CDs in my car in my late teens. I bought a CD/MP3 player for my car not long after I got out of High School. Those few CDs combined with the size of MP3s let me burn a ton of music on those discs, haha. Limewire was my friend during that time. I'd usually change them out as I discovered new music. Tossing them in a bin at the house.

I ran across all the CDs I burnt as a teen a few years ago...only about half of them worked fully. Threw most of them away, but it was neat listening to the ones that worked.

Now I just tell my phone/car what I want and there are no CDs in sight.