• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
It's basically for when the drive is so short that I don't bother plugging in my phone. Anytime other than that, it's: Google Music, LiveXLive (Slacker), Pocket Casts, or NPR One.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Expand your mind OP. I have Spotify premium, and I listen to the radio 85% of the time I'm in my car.

When I was driving Lyft, even on 14 hour days, I would listen to the radio all day. I love my local station - 103.5 fm, best of 60s, 70s and 80s. I wouldn't want my phones notifications to go through my speakers. And since I didn't be want to turn phone on silent, because I relied on the audio notifications, it didn't bother me one bit.

I've been using my Spotify a little more lately, but I still love my local radio. PLus some of the local smaller stations around here are crazy awesome.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
images

On a more serious note, what if I tell you I only use the built in Am/Fm radio (no cassette) that came with my car?

I somewhat get more hyped up when a song I like is shuffled on a radio station than selecting it from my iPod mini.

null_

Oct 27, 2017
Because commuting in a car is still a thing.

Real question is why does anyone like sweet vermouth???

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you OP. When people tell me they listen to the radio I'm just like... why?

I listen to BBC Radio 2 almost every day. Sometimes it's just noise in the background, sometimes it's because I like their little quiz shows and interviews, obviously the news every hour is a plus and arguably the most important part is the musicians they introduce you to that you otherwise wouldn't have heard of.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Chalk me up with the NPR listeners. It makes me feel extra smart when I'm driving into work at 3 AM and they're playing the BBC!

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curated content is still better than streaming services, unless you only want to listen to a certain genre or the same or similar artist.

Add in live sessions and good presenters and why wouldn't it be better still? Love me some six music

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have unlimited data or streaming built into my car so I usually listen to my ipod or the radio. If you don't want to listen to it, just don't listen to it, why does it make you so angry?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
older people, cars, broke people with shitty phones / poor service.

Even grocery stores sell things like Tracfone cards and whatnot, do you think the average tracfone user is streaming on their data all the time?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to music all day every day is shit. Local talk radio gives me news, current events, interesting stories, weather forecast, etc. and doesn't eat data or force me to make a playlist, etc. If talk radio gets boring I have podcasts.

There's such thing as too much of a good thing, and music at home on good headphones or speakers is more enjoyable than music on the commute.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Radio stations: Radio is dying! Help us save it by listening more to radio! Get IHeartRadio app! Look we're awesome!

Also Radio stations: Plays 3 songs. 20 ads. Plays 2 songs. 5min DJ monologue. Plays 2 songs. 20 ads.

Radio stations: WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT LISTENING TO RADIO??
I'll take things that never happened for 500 Alex.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Radio is awesome. Get to hear interesting music I may never have otherwise have stumbled across not picked by an algorithm, get to hear phone-in quiz contestants fumble easy questions, and get to hear ad readers SPEEEED through lengthy terms and conditions

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Commercial radio stations suck but talk and classical ones are cool. If there's nothing interesting on I'll switch to internet radio.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Um, because there are a lot of people that:
  • Drive to work daily
  • Might not have enough data to stream music daily
  • Enjoy some radio content (sports radio, NPR).
  • Don't have the means to connect their phone to their car, or don't want to.
  • Have satellite radio

Yup. And built in radios just work in seconds. Dont need android auto paired and special software and setup. Keep in mind the majority of people over 50 probably have cable because getting streaming setup on each TV is a pain in the ass for them or inconsistent which confuses them.

In austin I usually put on KMFA and get exposure to lots of classical music I've never heard and probably wouldn't have with other means.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
because radio is cool and it's basically just youtube but over the airwaves. garbage ass opinions from garbage people and occasionally a bop.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I like radio because sometimes they surprise me with something new, or maybe a song I haven't thought about in a while. My favourite local station is pretty good at supporting and giving exposure to local artists, too.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
some people passively consume entertainment beauce their lives have other priorities

go figure

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer radio. It plays songs that I would totally never think of downloading. There's so much songs out there that I forget exist. It also makes me learn about artists I never would have on my own.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
In the US? Data caps. That and it's usually much easier to tune to a radio station vs using a phone, since bluetooth is hella slow to connect. So, the interface in car. Also, streaming content is way too fragmented at the moment.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The MP3 mostly killed radio for me when I was still a kid and Pandora/Last.FM/Stitcher finished it off years later. Now Spotify rules all.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to the radio since 2011 but that's because the local morning show isnt as funny / entertaining anymore

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to note that I still use rabbit ears to watch broadcast television. Just for future reference. No thread necessary.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Thankfully they do exist. I have a 2005 Envoy with a CD player that doesn't work and the only thing I get is terrestrial radio. Yeah it sucks but I'll take it over nothing at all.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Pretty much all of the stations in my city have merged into either generic "rock" or pop-hop top 40.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
don't know what you're on about, OP

yeah "radio" is dated but still people just want to turn a dial and listen to shit, even teens and 20 somethings.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
My daily driver has CarPlay, which I do use sometimes to listen to music on my phone, Apple Music, or Pandora. But I think I more often listen to XM or the local NPR station. There are a couple of other local stations I'll listen to from time to time. My truck from 2006 has FM/AM and a CD player. I have some CDs in it, but I'll typically just listen to the radio. I don't typically drive the thing very far, so it's not worth putting in an aftermarket head unit.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, tell me, how can people listen to discussions on breaking news whilst they commute? How can people listen to traffic reports, weather, and debate on current topics on the move? Dont say podcast, thats radio, but downloadable and usually old (a day late is old).