• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know. I tried listening to it the other day and it was utterly cancerous. I just bluetooth streaming audio from my phone on my commutes. I'd have to be utterly deranged to subject myself to FM radio.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's all I listen to mostly. Bluetooth has horrible bit rate and I'm not going to pay for something like Pandora. It allows for a seamless hands free listening experience.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It's how I experience what the kids are listening to these days. And you know I could always listen to the classics as well while I'm stuck on the freeway.

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Because its brainless, requires no effort to get to work, its free, available everywhere and data isnt always available.

Link’s Awakening

Alt account
Banned
Apr 28, 2019
I have satellite radio, apple music, youtube, my own MP3 and Flac collections, and I still enjoy terrestrial radio. The personalities are a part of that reason as well.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Commercial breaks , the same reason tv stations do them.
Also promotions and things too.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I put it on when I'm driving and my podcast or whatever ends and I can't fiddle with my phone, but that's it. Radio has become infested with right-leaning bullshit.
I tune in the AM channels every once in a while just see how nutty Dennis Miller has gotten. Spoiler, nutter than squirrel shit

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Radio is fantastic in Britain. BBC has a lot of channels, none of which have adverts. Bbc 1 is youth oriented popular music, BBC is popular music for older listeners, 1xtra is hip hop/grime/rnb, 6 music is indie /eclectic (my favorite), radio 3 is classical, radio 4 is a non music channel with news, current events, dramas, plays, comedies etc and 5 is talk radio /sports channel.

Those are the main ones but there are a lot more regional Bbc channels, including welsh language etc

The commercial radio scene is also decent and competitive.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I love the talking on radio channel. The morning programme radio channel in my country is a comedy show, it is very good. So yeah i enjoy it

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
How can you be mad if they say some words over a song? They are DJs, not hitting play on a playlist and calling it a day. Gotta promote and pay the bills.

This makes me realize people likely don't listen to morning radio shows anymore. Shame.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can you be mad if they say some words over a song? They are DJs, not hitting play on a playlist and calling it a day. Gotta promote and pay the bills.

This makes me realize people likely don't listen to morning radio shows anymore. Shame.
DJs talking over the ramp to hit the post is a tradition.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I listen every day to and from work. I like the morning show I listen to plus I'll get the news and traffic. If I don't like the song they are playing, I'll switch to another station for a bit. On the rare occasion I'll plug in my phone.

Sure the commercials can be annoying but it's not enough to get me to stop listening.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's also nice to hear someone else's voice in your car that is live, as of you've joined a conversation, and if they're good, you'll be chuckling away at their quips and retorts from certain callers.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
I have Spotify Premium and still listen to the radio all the time. Local classical station plays decent stuff,I enjoy the hosts and upcoming concert info. Also, the local college station is a hoot (KXLU). I dunno, op. Why does it bother you so much?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I understand why its still around but fuck I haven't turned on the radio in my car since like 2012 when I finally started streaming music.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I have SiriusXM which is great. The only terrestrial radio station I ever regularly listen to is the ESPN1000.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I like our local radio station ._. For most of my driving life I never had a car with a working CD player--or even a car WITH a CD player--so I listened to the radio. I like the DJs and the rock/safe metal they play. It's fun. I like the banter and the news and whatnot. It's not amazing by any means, but it's safe and enjoyable while I drive for 20 minutes to my job.

Plus the concert announcements!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Radio is fantastic in Britain.

If you're in London or possibly other big cities sure. I used to live there and had dozens of stations to choose from.

I moved to East Anglia. I now have like 5 stations

- A classical music station which sucks
- some old fart reading a book
- a local station that plays 80-present pop hits, but that has a signal that works well maybe 40% of the time.
- Another 80s-present pop.
- RnB/rap/garage works 5% of the time.

It's terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I can listen to ESPN radio live while driving to work or wait a day and download a podcast version. This thread premise is incredibly stupid.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's free/no data cap, I don't need to fiddle with my fucking phone while driving and it has interesting music.

Generally I'm listening to NPR or something in the car anyway though. The hell

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell is people not knowing how things are a still a thing, still a thing?

It's almost like some people don't know how things really work.

It's like OP doesn't know radio stations are local and can play different types of music.

Ad revenue is how they finance themselves.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love listening to Scottish radio whilst playing ETS2. Please don't try and take that away from me. Radio is fun, it introduces me to songs I would never listen to and the presenters are fun. Radio is great.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I get listening to the radio for something to have on, but the ads, lord THE ADS! They are so frequent, and repettitive, that ends up being the thing that drives me away every time. Occasionally, I check in with a big city's station for a new flavor, but you can't get away from the ads.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Speaking from my experience, Portugal, outside of the regular news broadcast + traffic info (with the smaller local radios still being golden about this) they've kept themselves alive here not so much for playing music, old or new, but more so by creating/executing content that has made them relevant.

Legit funny shows early in the morning to get you in a good mood on your way to work (this is I feel the BIG one) that neither TV's or webshows seems to have been able to properly counter, interesting podcasts/talks with all sorts of people, willingness to talk about less covered topics/issues wich makes in turn the people feal "heard" per say, fantastic sports coverage (from the pros to the junior leagues) with results almost daily + live broadcast of games with actual interesting commentary (rip TV + streaming pundits) and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

As a whole, they're still likely losing audiences every year to the internet based alternatives, but they've found a decent amount of success here by executing all of these things. The mourning shows in particular have been actually a major success transforming unknown radio pundits into national stars in recent years.

---

For long drives I'd rather just use my playlists and listen to my podcasts (some of which are from the radio originally though), but for my daily commutes? Radio all the way. Especially in the early mourning.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Bucket-o-meals to old people and the paranoid
VillainousEuphoricGentoopenguin-size_restricted.gif

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only listen to the radio when I'm on my car. I can get new info on upcoming music album or movies and/or upcoming events near me. I also love some of the radio presenters.