• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7FkGCKAdVeeFUyHQs.jpeg

Nagy Blanka is 19-years old Hungarian lady. She was not a celebrity, nor someone particularly active in politics. Her name and face were starting to be known in Hungary during the anti-government and anti-media protests between December and January in which she heavily criticized the current state of the country, led by alt-right prime minister Orbán Viktor who gobbled up nearly all media, the judiciary and much more during the past decade. She took stage in one of these protests, in which she also heavily criticized the current president of the country, Áder János, admittedly with rather harsh words: she called him a turd with a moustache for not doing anything against these government's actions, and instead blindly signing off any absurd bill Orbán Viktor's party proposes.

This was too much for the Hungarian media, both the one directly owned by the state and those effectively controlled by people close to them, but of course not officially in their hands. Government-friendly publicist and big friend of Orbán Viktor, Bayer Zsolt, called her, among other things, a proletarian whore. Many of his colleagues joined in attacking her for spreading lies and insulting a member of the Hungarian politics - of course, when they were insulting the opposition and such with far worse names, it wasn't so outrageous. At first, she was simply attacked for mundane things, including demagocic reasonings about how she can't be against the controversial slave law because she never once worked in her life. But then, multiple state-friendly giants like the website Origo or newspaper Ripost (which then were echoed by the state-owned TV as well) started claiming she constantly skips school, and has terrible grades in a variety of subjects, which is causing her to be failing those subjects.

Now, since there are privacy laws and regulations around Europe, you can probably see why this is very bad. There are effectively two scenarios at play:
  1. They either illegally accessed a student's grades, and violated her privacy by sharing them with the country without the family's or her permission.
  2. Or they fabricated this information to make it seem like she's ignorant.
Of course you have to wonder what kind of grades you need to have to be able to criticize the government, but that's besides the point now. Nagy Blanka sued these publications. These publications, during the trial, tried to convince the parents to actually show her grades (because it turned out they fabricated them) so they can be proven right. Her grades were shown confidentially to the judges. The sate ruled in her favour in all cases, as the publications had to pay giant fines and publish corrections about the "errors" they've made. But that was not the end of it. Since the tribunal papers now had her actual grades, including some negative ones, the state-friendly media once again joined forces to once again publish private information, this time going as far as reading her grades out loud on live TV on one of the biggest channels in the country. Have something to say against the Hungarian government? Better prepare for the hundreds of publications they own to try and destroy your private life, whether it's with lies or truth. I mean, in the last elections they falsely accused their political adversaries of being gay, muslims, wife-beaters, Soros-strawmen and the like, so they're hardly new to these tactics.

Fast forward to our days, and the alt-right media in Hungary is still not happy about Nagy Blanka's presence in what is now the public space. She frequently gives out interviews to opposition or free media, she appears in multiple protests and political events - because the Hungarian government attacked her so hard, a lot of people opposed to this fascist system now see a victim of the country, a recognizable face and someone who's not afraid to keep saying the truth despite all the character assassination she has to endure. A couple days ago, she took part in yet another political event organized by ex-prime minister Gyurcsány Ferenc' current political party, to which a photographer from yet another state-friendly publication, Pesti Srácok, decided to take and then publish a photo of her underwear while she had her legs slightly open. You can see the cropped version of the photo below, as published (and taken off a couple hours later) on the website:
7IFuJNIbUZkET6Bws.jpeg

The journalist who wrote the article about the event went on to call her obscene, claiming she's trying and failing to imitate Sharon Stone from the famous scene in Basic Instinct. Naturally, all of the state-friendly media then proceeded to report on this "scoop", adding offensive adjectives of their own wherever possible. Just so you know, there is no law in place against such a photo in Hungary, not specifically at least. Nagy Blanka will likely win yet another lawsuit due to yet another publication shaming her by publishing things about her privacy: this time it's not her grades or background, but a photo of what she is wearing under a dress. But the problem is that millions of people who only read one or more of the over 400 publications tied to the Hungarian government will only get one image of her: a lying, cheating, ignorant whore. Because in Hungary, if a 19-years old takes the stage during an anti-government protest and decides to heavily criticize the government, the only natural answer such a fascist organization can give is to destroy her in every possible way. And before you ask, none of the journalist, writers, opinionists, cameramen, etc. who engaged in this shameful campaign lost their jobs or anything of the sort.

Regardless of what you think of Nagy Blanka and her messages, her story is yet another example of how a EU country's government has the power and will to practically destroy the privacy and public image of a person, just because said person dared to publicly criticize the political situation. This is but one of the many stories like these currently going on in Hungary, where the difamation of public figures isn't even done by some nameless conspiracy blog or some far-right party: it's literally ordered and paid for by the government. I suppose we can be glad we're not at Putin's Russia levels yet: she could be in prison or dead by now. But hey, it's never too late for the Hungarian government to reach that spot, right?

TL;DR version: 19 years old girl publicly criticizes the government and state figures. State media then publishes all kinds of editorials on her trying to discredit her, including fabricating negative grades in school and the fact she's skipping school. She sues and wins. The media doesn't stop, however, increasing the insults, publishing her actual grades from the trial papers, and even going as far as publishing a photo snapped in the brief moment her legs open were slightly while she was sitting at a political event. None of the journalists who took part of this character assassination had any consequence for their actions, at best the publications themselves paid fines.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
Typical and disgusting behaviour from Orban-manipulated media. Since I am from neighbouring Slovenia, we just had a weird incident two weeks or so ago where one of our left-wing media houses was pressured from Hungarian diplomats and they also wrote to the Government to "discipline" our media so that this doesn't happen again. Read more here: politico article

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Typical and disgusting behaviour from Orban-manipulated media. Since I am from neighbouring Slovenia, we just had a weird incident two weeks or so ago where one of our left-wing media houses was pressured from Hungarian diplomats and they also wrote to the Government to "discipline" our media so that this doesn't happen again. Read more here: politico article

Yeah, that one's quite "funny" too. Sometimes it seems that Fidesz believes they control the media outside of their borders like they control them in Hungary, being able to dictate what others can publish about them. Luckily, their power "only" extends to that area.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for sharing.

I hope she has the strength to carry on. Being targeted like that isn't easy.

The irony of this is that she's winning defamation suits left and right, getting a lot of money for the fact she is being attacked. She can probably pay a good university abroad with the money she "won" so far. The Hungarian taxpayers paid for these publications to attack her. Their money then went to these fines. Thus, in a way, the Hungarian people paid for the fines she got. She can probably go to a great university thanks to Hungarian taxpayers' money, and she can leave that increasingly bad place like hundreds of thousands of young people already did. Or she can stay and fight from within. Can't fault if she doesn't, though.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
It feels like the Western world and a good chunk of developing countries are on a one way ticket to this style of dystopian government, media and society over the next decade.

Not sure what the solution will be.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only hope nothing happens to her. Fascist scum.

I'm inclined to believe the government won't do anything against her. They need the enemies, so if there's one that is effectively roaming the country, sharing her voice and views, she becomes a good catalyst for all the lies and attacks they spend an obscene amount of money to diffuse.

The bigger risk is some ignorant nazi scum, who kept seeing her as this villainous bitch, happens to see her on the street or at an event and decide to "take one for the team", attacking her or something. Now that's a bigger risk, and I hope she'll be fine.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I'm inclined to believe the government won't do anything against her. They need the enemies, so if there's one that is effectively roaming the country, sharing her voice and views, she becomes a good catalyst for all the lies and attacks they spend an obscene amount of money to diffuse.

The bigger risk is some ignorant nazi scum, who kept seeing her as this villainous bitch, happens to see her on the street or at an event and decide to "take one for the team", attacking her or something. Now that's a bigger risk, and I hope she'll be fine.
stochastic terrorism is something the far right can always rely on sadly.

stay safe Nagy.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hungary's a failed state at this point, and the EU is just sitting by and watching. Absolutely unbelievable.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the thread, hadn't heard about her. The right's obsessions with tearing into the private lives of prominent young activists is ridiculous, apparently you have to be a perfect human being to criticize them, while they don't care about any scandals on their side. Same thing everywhere

The Orbán-fans among my Hungarian family will probably defend this shit, because of the way she talked about Fidesz politicians. Same people who exploded over Gyurcsány's speech back before Orbán because of a few out of context phrases and never bothered to actually read the whole thing (not a fan of him, but that thing wasn't worth the scandal around it)

Come on, elaborate cursing is like a national sport in Hungary, everybody does it, you probably shouldn't in a public speech, but she's young, she can make mistakes.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
As a German, I am ashamed of our governing party getting all buddy-buddy with Orban. I am ashamed as an EU citizen as well. Europe just lets this shit do whatever he wants and pretends everything is fine. After all, an EU member can't be a dictatorship, right? Shameful, absolutely shameful.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread, hadn't heard about her. The right's obsessions with tearing into the private lives of prominent young activists is ridiculous, apparently you have to be a perfect human being to criticize them, while they don't care about any scandals on their side. Same thing everywhere

The Orbán-fans among my Hungarian family will probably defend this shit, because of the way she talked about Fidesz politicians. Same people who exploded over Gyurcsány's speech back before Orbán because of a few out of context phrases and never bothered to actually read the whole thing (not a fan of him, but that thing wasn't worth the scandal around it)

Come on, elaborate cursing is like a national sport in Hungary, everybody does it, you probably shouldn't in a public speech, but she's young, she can make mistakes.

Oh, I hear you. I also have such people in my family, and I've heard them call her a whore in the past already. Yes, she used offensive words towards a public figure and criticizes the government. Unfortunately, Fidesz is now a religion, a cult: anybody against them is automatically deserving to be eliminated from the public scene, defamated. It doesn't matter they destroyed a man's life and career claiming he beats his wife. It doesn't matter if the far-right leader's is not actually gay and muslim like they claim. It doesn't matter if Blanka's not failing in school. What matters is that those who oppose Fidesz deserve this treatment.

Disgusting.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I can't believe Hungary is still in the EU despite all the shit Orban is doing, and to be fair someone from the union warned about his behaviour and his politics and how they violate EU principles a while ago.

Last edited:

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe Hungary is still in the EU despite all the shit Orban is doing it, and to be fair someone from the union warned about his behaviour and his politics and how they violate EU principles a while ago.

the EU framework is incapable of dealing with something going completely out of line, the assumption that a member wouldn't turn to fascism is a cute concept, but a doomed one.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
the EU framework is incapable of dealing with something going completely out of line, the assumption that a member wouldn't turn to fascism is a cute concept, but a doomed one.

The problem is that EU doesn't have the power to push countries out when they don't respect the principles despite taking the money, especially in this age of eurosceptic parties, so if you start to push people out others might follow and EU is going to look weaker and weaker; countries like Hungary or Austria (and to some extent even us Italy nowadays) know this very well and they take advantage of the situation, but as mentioned above even pro-Euro countries like Germany still are in close relationship wth Hungary despite everything.

There is also an issue with our allies cause USA used to be a close friend of EU during Obama's administration while now Trump is basically not giving fucks, but on the other hand you have Russia who is getting buddy with all eurosceptic countries.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
The problematic bit with the Hungary situation is that, regardless of how powerless can the EU appear, the voters are still voting for Orban. Yes, there was a decrease from 2010, but his shit party is still the majority. This is worryingly spreading all over Europe (Italy is fucked too with Lega Nord, Spain far right is gaining popularity, German far right is back and not to mention the initial far right wet dream of Brexit); I am not sure what can be done about it, but it's looking bad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problematic bit with the Hungary situation is that, regardless of how powerless can the EU appear, the voters are still voting for Orban. Yes, there was a decrease from 2010, but his shit party is still the majority. This is worryingly spreading all over Europe (Italy is fucked too with Lega Nord, Spain far right is gaining popularity, German far right is back and not to mention the initial far right wet dream of Brexit); I am not sure what can be done about it, but it's looking bad.

They have 2.5 million votes, officially. They rendered competing impossible for most opposition parties. They use buses to import Ukrainians and the likes to vote for them as they handed out citizenships to anyone who resides in ex-Hungary territories. They used the same trick used in Macedonia, registering hundreds of people from abroad into the same homes to allow them to vote for them. There were tons of irregularities during the elections: among others, tons of votes that were switched towards different parties, entire districts where nearly all votes were invalidated, the servers of the elections being unavailable for hours during election day and the immediate destruction of ballot votes before any checking was done, or how they intentionally allowed dozens of fake parties to register to further fragment the opposition votes.

There's at best 2 millions of voters in Hungary who are for Orban out of 10 millions (14-15 counting the Hungarians abroad), but it's entirely possible it's far less than that. They control most of the media, the judiciary, the electoral commissions, the police force, and then some. Next election they can claim they got 5 milion votes for a whopping 85%, and nobody in Hungary has the means to prove them wrong.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
They have 2.5 million votes, officially. They rendered competing impossible for most opposition parties. They use buses to import Ukrainians and the likes to vote for them as they handed out citizenships to anyone who resides in ex-Hungary territories. They used the same trick used in Macedonia, registering hundreds of people from abroad into the same homes to allow them to vote for them. There were tons of irregularities during the elections: among others, tons of votes that were switched towards different parties, entire districts where nearly all votes were invalidated, the servers of the elections being unavailable for hours during election day and the immediate destruction of ballot votes before any checking was done, or how they intentionally allowed dozens of fake parties to register to further fragment the opposition votes.

There's at best 2 millions of voters in Hungary who are for Orban out of 10 millions (14-15 counting the Hungarians abroad), but it's entirely possible it's far less than that. They control most of the media, the judiciary, the electoral commissions, the police force, and then some. Next election they can claim they got 5 milion votes for a whopping 85%, and nobody in Hungary has the means to prove them wrong.
Didn't they get over 50% on the first election, which allowed them to change the constitution and start all the shitshow?
I am not saying they are not to blame/they are not using dirty tricks to stay in power, I am just very concerned that more and more people are believing in this far right/populist bullshit that is propagating a bit everywhere.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they get over 50% on the first election, which allowed them to change the constitution and start all the shitshow?
I am not saying they are not to blame/they are not using dirty tricks to stay in power, I am just very concerned that more and more people are believing in this far right/populist bullshit that is propagating a bit everywhere.

They gained a lot of votes first time around, but it was a perfect storm for them: years of aggressive fake news on the left, the left having to deal with the global economic crisis, they've been buttering up abroad voters for years, etc.. They knew that they only had to win once, but that one time had to be huge. They did so, and dismantled the Constitution, sent home most judges and political roles and replaced them with their own men, and effectively built up a mafia state in which everything and everyone responds to Orban. Even by the most Fidesz-friendly estimates, the amount of people who actually supports them decreased. But it's useless calculations until they can and will cheat elections, destroy oppositions by giving them absurd fines and such, control 90% of the media, and so on. You see in this thread what they do to those that oppose them. Hungary is no longer a democracy because Fidesz and Orban can not be beaten democratically. The reality of numbers in Hungary is what they publish because they control nearly everything.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The right wing everywhere is straight up trash. Bringing back fascism as if they didn't learn shit from WW2. It's disgusting how they manipulate the media to attack this lady

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I have a good Hungarian friend who talks about how sqrewed the media is over there.

He was telling me about a guy who climbed a building to save a child was twisted into a story about how the guy was trying to attack the girl.

It sounds bonkers over there.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
This makes me feel a little better about Poland. But...only a little, little bit.

Both are terrible, though.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hungary's a failed state at this point, and the EU is just sitting by and watching. Absolutely unbelievable.

There are steps the EU can take against a state doing something look this (I want to say Article 7 is one of them?).

The issue is these tend to require unanimous support from the other members, and I think Poland's also pretty right-wing government said they'd block any attempt to do so.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a good Hungarian friend who talks about how sqrewed the media is over there.

He was telling me about a guy who climbed a building to save a child was twisted into a story about how the guy was trying to attack the girl.

It sounds bonkers over there.

I briefly visited the country last summer as I was in Croatia for holidays, I figured I'd jump to Hungary as well to pick up some food and such, heh. On the night, I turned on the news to prove a point to my fiancé. Not so surprisingly, on that night, they spent like 10 minutes in which an Arabian guy killing his also Arabian wife is somehow related to the giant (not existent anymore) migrant waves, the islamic culture out there to oppress us, them being a danger towards us, etc. etc.. That's the better scenario, them spinning real news into something of a narrative. There's times they legit spread fake news however, passing off years old photos and videos as new cases of migrants doing bad shit, defamating opposition politicans (including Juhasz' whole "wifebeater" accusation - by the time that one got redacted, he was already dead, politically speaking) and so on.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This happens in Australia too. For example, there was a random guy a while back who made an excellent and popular point against some rich snob on a Q&A program, and similar to this, the majority of the media, which is aligned with the right-wing party, roasted the guy on his private life for weeks. Not his point, which was about tax; it was his relationship with his son, health issues, job history etc.

Reality may have a left-wing bias, but media has a natural right-wing bias. It's a problem that needs serious work and reform here, but wow, it's far worse in Hungary.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Hungary seems already like Russia: people vote Putin or don't vote for Putin because:

- Media will tell you he's the only right choice, they created that state of fear where you cannot go against him.

- Alternatives are puppets hired to legitimize the elections, the real alternatives are not allowed to compete. (that's not a reality in Hungary but it will be going forward if nothing changes)

- Even if you don't vote for him, they will cheat results.

In Italy we are still in time to change (this government is not even a year old), people are seeing some of the negative results (2019 growth forecast the lowest in Europe), but our government is a coalition between two parties, 5 stars movement is declining because people blame them for all the negative results while Salvini is only praised for his extremist decisions (blocking migrants, supporting Maduro dictatorship because Russia told us to do so) and that's concerning.

Here alternatives are allowed to represent themselves, except our alternatives are not very good. It has been a problem for decades if you think how many years Berlusconi was in that position.

I can't speak for the other countries mentioned.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hungary seems already like Russia: people vote Putin or don't vote for Putin because:

- Media will tell you he's the only right choice, they created that state of fear where you cannot go against him.

- Alternatives are puppets hired to legitimize the elections, the real alternatives are not allowed to compete. (that's not a reality in Hungary but it will be going forward if nothing changes)

- Even if you don't vote for him, they will cheat results.

In Italy we are still in time to change (this government is not even a year old), people are seeing some of the negative results (2019 growth forecast the lowest in Europe), but our government is a coalition between two parties, 5 stars movement is declining because people blame them for all the negative results while Salvini is only praised for his extremist decisions (blocking migrants, supporting Maduro dictatorship because Russia told us to do so) and that's concerning.

Here alternatives are allowed to represent themselves, except our alternatives are not very good. It has been a problem for decades if you think how many years Berlusconi was in that position.

I can't speak for the other countries mentioned.

Good post. The bolded, however, is already a reality of sorts. They are, technically, allowed to compete. They are just:
- barred from 90% of the media, as the Orban-controlled TVs, radios, newspapers don't invite them
- barred from using billboards outside of campaign periods
- even the billboards they could use are mostly in Orban's hands, so they hardly get any space
- nearly every opposition party is getting giant fines on a regular basis with ridiculous excuses, which either bankrupts them or doesn't leave them money for ads
- the party financing laws mean that unless your party reaches 1%, you have to pay ALL money back, which means smaller parties are discouraged from spending because they will have to pay it all back

This is why Hungary is a captured state. There are still visible signs of democracy. People aren't being killed or imprisoned for their views. But Orban and his men control all, and while in theory the oppositions can compete (as opposed to something like North Korea), they really have no chances. And even if they did obtain more votes, they can cheat the elections like last time, so...

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
fwfmjvremys21.jpg

How long has this clown been in power? And people see their lives not getting better, probably worse and they're still loyal? The level of brainwashing is unbelievable

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fwfmjvremys21.jpg

How long has this clown been in power? And people see their lives not getting better, probably worse and they're still loyal? The level of brainwashing is unbelievable

They are literally spending billions on a campaign which roughly translates as "Hungary is performing better!". Tons of ads on TV, on newspapers, radios, and so on. They plaster the country with a few economic indexes that are positive to spin the narrative that the Hungarian economy is on the rise. Keep in mind a lot of the people who vote for them and support them don't even live in Hungary, since one of their main targets is abroad Hungarians. And much of their "inside" electorate consists of old people, who always get a 30 or so Euros cheque right before the elections that they can spend in spas and such, along with local mayors distributing potatoes, milk and the like along with some Fidesz-branded swag. What these people see, therefore, is the government giving them "free stuff". Getting 50-100 Euros more in their pensions would be "a given" they can get used to, giving them a little gift every 4 years is something far more effective on the ignorant and uninformed minds. And well, even aside from the proven election frauds, it works. There's a lot of people that lap this shit up, and their media makes sure people think there are no other options.

Speaking of which, Hungary fell to 87th place from last year's 73rd in the 2019 World Press Freedom Index.
https://rsf.org/en/hungary
The ownership of Hungary's media has continued to become increasingly concentrated in the hands of oligarchs allied with Prime Minister Viktor Orbán's ultra-nationalist government, with the result that the media landscape has been transformed in recent years. The most important critical media outlets have had to close, while the editorial independence of others has been threatened by the presence of pro-government oligarchs on their boards, among their shareholders or within the financial institutions that fund them. The past year also saw the creation of a pro-Orbán consortium of around 500 privately-owned newspapers, cable TV channels, radio stations and news websites, and almost all of the regional daily newspapers. By declaring this consortium to be of "strategic national importance in the public interest," the government has in practice prevented competing media outlets or media sector representatives from opposing it.