• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 bans= a perm

or anything = a perm

I mean we all saw how bad Neogaf became after the election or hell the Hillary vs Bernie shit was insane

Mod Edit:
As a reminder, this is not the place to discuss previous bans, take out vendettas against old mods, or anything like that. This is framed to be a discussion on the banning system here ONLY. I don't care why you got banned time x, y, z or who did it, and neither does anyone else. This is not a thread for digging up old grudges nor is any other place on ResetEra. Any posts contrary to that will be edited appropriately and users warned or banned. At least one user already has been.

I am allowing this thread to stay open for now, but if things get out of hand again this thread will be locked. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
From the FAQ:

Moderation and Bans

Our international staff is made up of people with different backgrounds and experiences. To offer a fair moderation, we use specific staff guidelines that we keep flexible so that they evolve with the current climate in gaming. Every staff member has to follow the same rules as the rest of the forum and has to behave professionally when acting as a representative of ResetEra.

On ResetEra, we'll try to be as transparent as possible about the moderation of the site, especially when it comes to the banning of accounts. Sometimes you'll see that a user you like has been banned and it can be frustrating to not knowing why. Therefore, we will do our best to keep the ban reason public and include links as necessary and appropriate.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
On the one person I've seen banned, a little red box came up on the post with how long the ban would last and an explanation why. Pretty transparent and worked well.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warning users for dumb posts that are little more than dumb or mildly offensive would probably be the best move in some cases. Repeat offences can obviously mean someone isn't taking the hint. I've already seen some user was warned posts. That kind of transparency is a breath of fresh air here.

What I don't think is healthy is cultivating a dudebro attitude of celebrating bans. We're supposed to want to grow a community, not have a million skeletons. Yes, disciplinary action is sometimes needed and I've picked up bans in the past for mistakes. Sometimes people learn, other times it's heat of the moment mistakes.

Obvious trolling/shit-posting and really offensive shit can occasionally go right to see you later. As much as some people got adrenaline bursts or dopamine release seeing graveyards on another forum, I can't say it was always the most reasonable way to handle some of the more minor dumb remarks/derails/mistakes. I understand the idea behind a probation period for members but permanently nuking someone new for a mildly dumb port begging remark can sometimes be a bit OTT. Yes there are rules to read, and they should be mandatory reading, but moderation should always have a human element to it, not simply acting like AI.

I hope having many mods will help share duties around, as I don't think you need to be a psychologist to let many of the new faces know burnout leading to resentment can be a real thing being in a place of power. Especially around discipline. Other times it can go to people's heads, but again, having a big crew will hopefully mean that doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You get banned. You don't come back.

Yeah it was always odd to me that the old site didn't have a "suspended" option like other forums. Banned should mean for good, suspended should be for temp bans.

I don't think they need hard and fast rules. Really bad offenses by new members should get permabans as anyone trolling or whatever right from the start is a huge red flag. Where as someone that's been around and active a long time could get some benefit of the doubt and get a suspension.

Same with number of suspensions, as the site is around for a few years that rule becomes moot. Three suspensions in a few months or whatever is a big red flag. Three for a very active user over 5 years is not as everyone can lose their cool, post while drunk etc. here and there.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
We already have examples of both warnings and banned messages. When someone gets banned or warned, it shows it on the top of the post itself so there's no more question of, "Why were they banned?"

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Do you only get temp bans if you call someone a poo head if you're over a certain amount of posts? And permanent bans for newer members?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
on other forums there's a feature that even when you're banned you can appeal it in a sub forum. I think its useful if your banned for a misunderstanding which has happened to me before.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
You have to give your first born up to get back in.

Ooooooorrrrr, for only $4.99 you can buy a Digital LOOT BOX for a chance at an Un-Ban Me code!

(Oh no, what seed have I just planted!!!!??!?!?! Forgive me!!!!)

UnfinishedIndelibleFennecfox-max-1mb.gif

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a link to an example post? Interested to see what this looks like.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Do you only get temp bans if you call someone a poo head if you're over a certain amount of posts? And permanent bans for newer members?
Except in extreme cases of offensive/inflammatory content, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to banning. Many things are likely taken into account before a ban is issued.

That said, the FAQ lays out in pretty clear terms how NOT to get banned on REF.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
"On ResetEra, we'll try to be as transparent as possible about the moderation of the site, especially when it comes to the banning of accounts. Sometimes you'll see that a user you like has been banned and it can be frustrating to not knowing why. Therefore, we will do our best to keep the ban reason public and include links as necessary and appropriate."

This is a gamechanger and will be hugely helpful in learning why a ban took place.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
I posted a pic of the whole shenanigans of the other forum and got a warning. Was surprised that the mod even sent me a PM explaining and he was very polite.

If it was on the other board it would be a permaban, fuck you YOU ARE NOT WELCOME sort of deal...

Really liking the change of modding etiquette around here so far :D

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I believe it was stated in the Discord things like Thread and Sub-Forum bans were possible with this new forum. I think those types of punishments should be used a lot more often. How that then translates to full forum suspensions or permabans I'm not sure, that's up to the mods and admins. But I think banning someone from a thread with a clear explanation of what they did wrong should help teach people a lot more effectively how they should behave on the forum.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Yeah, it was really frustrating when a poster you liked got banned on GAF and it was impossible to figure out why when going through their post history.

Sorry BronsonLee!

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was banned....erm.....a number of times before the perm. There were no set rules for that back in the old place. Some members had a huge number of bans but were protected.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
We have some rules set in place on our end, and they are relatively detailed, but there is some discretion involved. Obviously some things will get you banned outright (posting graphic images, doxxing, etc.), but we will explain reasons for bans/warnings, as many have seen.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/metal-gear-solid-zero-death-stranding.779/page-5#post-44046

It's good to have it confirmed the red message stays there even after the ban is lifted. Compared to the link above this one said 24 hour ban. I assume the one in the post above is permanent.

Indeed. We aim to be transparent about giving out warnings, temporary bans or permanent bans.

That's why you'll be able to see a public record of why someone was warned / banned at the top of the offending post.

We will have more to announce in the future regarding specific moderation policies. For now please refer to the FAQ section of the forum.

Dozer1003

Oct 26, 2017
Orlando, FL
no
If a mod wants to ban me for 5 minutes for this post to show everyone how it works feel free :)

edit: my post is possessed help!

Last edited:

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like some people want to know how much of an asshole or how much thread shitting they can do before being banned.

Try it and find out!

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
on other forums there's a feature that even when you're banned you can appeal it in a sub forum. I think its useful if your banned for a misunderstanding which has happened to me before.
We used a system like this on mmo-champion where the banned user had an opportunity to appeal and have it reviewed on a mod only forum by other mods separate to who issued the infraction, we were always encouraged to contribute our views on other mods appeal cases as well. It seemed to work quite well for the user in rectifying mistakes or misunderstandings in a ban reason and in the case of it being upheld it protected the individual mod from harassment since their judgment was backed by the team.
That was a much more hot headed community while everyone here is well behaved so I'm sure we won't see those red messages very often!

Status
Not open for further replies.