• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was true on paper, not so much in practise.

Guys like bish and besada were infamous for dropping into threads and bragging about how they couldn't wait to get home so they could run ragged over the thread.
In other threads it was usually pretty obvious who banned who because a red name was seen warning people to chill out earlier in the thread. Or in the case with communities there was specific mods seemingly in charge of them, sometimes to bad results that led to communities being banned entirely for a while like the NBA thread and, uh blackace (?)

Probably best not to say names mate. As you can see in this topic there are some ex-mods, now regular members, and they're probably wanting a fresh start like all of us.

Best to learn from the other place and do it differently here, rather than obsessing over the past with bringing up names. It was good you shared your ban message from the past though cause that is the kind of shit that's probably best avoided.

All 3 times I was banned on GAF were for such bullshit reasons, so hopefully it's better here.

Genuinely can't see it being worse.

Lashley, you always deserve a ban. You support Arsenal.

Mods, please see to it that Lashley gets banned before the weekend's football starts.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To expand on what Aeana said: all moderator actions are logged and visible to other moderators. If there is moderator abuse or routine misbehavior, it will quickly become obvious and will be resolved internally.
Oh I'm not arguing at all with the ban, hell every time I got banned I deserved it. Just the wording was intentionally designed there to hurt me, or so obviously felt that way thst the difference didn't matter in the end. There's no reason to make a barb like that without intentionally designing to do harm to someone. Even if it was done innocently a grown human being with a functional capacity for empathy cannot pour those words out of his mouth without knowing they will cause damage.

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
There are stickied threads in EtcetEra. This one at least had some focus to it so it's been ok to keep going for now.
All right. It a bit of a side note and I'll probably enter this in the suggestions thread. I was wondering since other sites typically have a site discussion subforum, which is far typically less active and topics like "<some feature> is broken" or other things about the site are easier to find (like the unofficial dark theme that a lot of people are being referred to).

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ban Audio for the cyberz bullying

Bullying? You can always trust me to knock the bathroom door before entering

MourinhoHa.png

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
As a reminder, this is not the place to discuss previous bans, take out vendettas against old mods, or anything like that. This is framed to be a discussion on the banning system here ONLY. I don't care why you got banned time x, y, z or who did it, and neither does anyone else. This is not a thread for digging up old grudges nor is any other place on ResetEra. Any posts contrary to that will be edited appropriately and users warned or banned. At least one user already has been.

I am allowing this thread to stay open for now, but if things get out of hand again this thread will be locked. Thanks!

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I literally didn't learn any lesson because I still don't know what my bans were for lol

But yes, you're right.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like that everything is transparent from the mod team to this. It's a welcome change imo

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We'll see what the staff ends up deciding, but I'll just point out that at some point this may become untenable depending on volume, at least for suspensions. Perhaps it'll be fine for perms, though. We'll see.
If it's only for something like a day or so then an appeal doesn't really make sense. It might work if the suspension is for over a period of a month or so. Presumably there wouldn't be that many people get month+ suspensions.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope that however the mod team decides to mod it is consistent and within context. As such, there are clear rules and guidelines and its up to the users whether to stay within those defined parameters, push the line, or break them.

Personally, I hope that extreme posts that are clearly (and I mean clearly) out of control do get banned. Moreover, i hope that this site continues its positives vibes, prolific posting, and thoughtful analysis of issues addressed in constructive matters no matter the position. Off to a great start so far.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
All 3 times I was banned on GAF were for such bullshit reasons, so hopefully it's better here.

Genuinely can't see it being worse.
I got 2 that were BS.

All I hope for is that individual mods dont take the guidelines and flex them to their own advantage as in banning a person because they feel like it. That's what happened in the old forum. There were mods that were "fed" up with some users and say if that user made the smallest infraction, they would get banned with a really terrible reason. "oh you mentioned you want to 'slap' another user?, that's physical violence. We do not condone violence, bye!" Like it shouldn't be that way. Were they really breaking the rules or were you taking it so personal you wanted this person gone?

Not saying users that keep getting bans shouldn't be perma banned but I hope mods due follow the guidelines the same across the board for every user. This is what a lot have said of the old forum. It felt like walking on egg shells because you knew there was a mod gunning for you with the lame bans. It shouldn't be like that. (if you arent seriously breaking the rules that is)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually so glad public ban messages are a thing. Helps get examples of what not to do and, if I'm being honest, sometimes you just get curious what exactly people did to get banned.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I got 2 that were BS.

All I hope for is that individual mods dont take the guidelines and flex them to their own advantage as in banning a person because they feel like it. That's what happened in the old forum. There were mods that were "fed" up with some users and say if that user made the smallest infraction, they would get banned with a really terrible reason. "oh you mentioned you want to 'slap' another user?, that's physical violence. We do not condone violence, bye!" Like it shouldn't be that way. Were they really breaking the rules or were you taking it so personal you wanted this person gone?

Not saying users that keep getting bans shouldn't be perma banned but I hope mods due follow the guidelines the same across the board for every user.

Yup, agree with this 1000%.

If someone really wants to ban you they could be very particular.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Ok I think this thread has served its purpose. We aren't here to harp on the old site and its members. Let's look forward, not back.

Please check the stickied threads in EtcetEra for other questions you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.