iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Thread posted on behalf of Crazy Izanagi

So with Final Famtasy XV's multiplayer now out it's brought my attention to something I've seen brought up in the past.

How would you feel if the next mainline Final Fantasy game used a CAC system?

XV comrades has a surprisingly robust character creator so I have no problem with the custom possibilities, but I wonder how story would be handled.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they just stick with a set protagonist. Having a robust CAC system isn't the same thing as writing for a CAC.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, a CAC who is mute would still have more personality than the last few FF main characters.

But it'd also be super redundant considering FFXIV

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not.

I want to be told a story with pre-existing characters with a fully developed personality.

I want absolutely no part in creating characters.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually don't mind, FF has always shined more for its secondary characters than for its playable character. A CAC System would fit right in a game like FF6 for example, because its more about living the experience of every character than the journey of a single one.

I want to be told a story with pre-existing characters with a fully developed personality.

I want absolutely no part in creating characters.

I mean Mass Effect is a CAC system, right ? Shepard still has the personality you want to imbue into him (and an overall personality he will always have regardless of what you choose too)

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, fuck that. Also wouldn't work with the linear stories of FF. There's literally no point at all.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey thanks for posting this.

I've seen the idea thrown around and honestly I'd be curious to see how they handle it.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate character creation, I want to keep seeing Nomura's design for all future mainline FFs

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually be pretty interested in physically customizing the main Hero an Heroine of the next game. Define their genders and personalities and let me pick their hairstyles, faces, races etc. If the default appearances are compelling enough people will go for it, but this way you kinda get the best of both worlds. Also customization in equipment is common enough in rpgs, so beyond the starting outfit you were probably gonna do it for a predefined character anyway.

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but don't make the character mute and don't let the player decide the personality of the character

FF XV already looked too much as an WRPG with the fetch quests. The next FF needs to be a real JRPG like XIII (...) and before

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
I generally don't like "Create a character" in single player games, because it generally follows with bland, blank-slate lead characters, or even worse the silent protagonist. I don't imagine it would go well for them if they tried that.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
On one hand, character creators are shit and usually provide games that lack memorable (looking) protagonists. On the other hand, anything to get somewhat away from modern Nomura might actually be good.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A mute create-a-character would run totally contrary to the entire ethos of Final Fantasy. It's a terrible idea.

The writing in Final Fantasy 14 is much better than other recent FF games but the fact that the main character is a mute avatar is the reason the story can never hit the heights of the proper Final Fantasy games despite the actual quality of writing being superior.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
100% for it.

Go back to what makes Final Fantasy Final Fantasy.

snap011.gif

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Most FF protagonists are flat, so customisable would probably be an improvement, really it's the supporting characters like Auron and Balthier is usually where the stories shine.

ShinkuTachi

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather have a set pre-existing protagonist. While I like some games with 'create a character' like FFXIV, FFXI, WKC, Toukiden, and God Eater; I'm not particularly a fan of 'create a character'. I'm sure my stance may not make sense to a lot of people, but that's just how I feel about it.

katagai

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only if it comes with a slider that increases the number of zippers that appear on your character's clothing.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
I want XVI to be a soft FF1 remake (maybe the same way BotW is a quasi remake of Zelda 1?). Let me make my own party of four unique characters, choosing from all the classic Final Fantasy jobs. In FF1, a character's appearance was solely dictated by their job, but this obviously wouldn't have to be the case here. I guess the closest analog would be something like Etrian Odyssey V, except 3D?

There are tons of interesting ways you could expand on a system like this with today's tech. Maybe have some kind of take on Dragon's Dogma's pawn system where every party member has their own personality that develops as you progress through the game and is shaped by how you play? Story and real character interactions would obviously have to be somewhat sparse in this format, but I'd actually be okay with that. "Plot" really wasn't XV's strong suit, so maybe just forget about it for good for the next entry and focus your efforts on other stuff. I could even see an opportunity to bring back XII's gambit system.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Just no. That is so far removed from what I want from Final Fantasy. Just make a new IP and use a character creation. No need to bastardize an existing IP when you can just make a new one if you feel the need to deviate so much.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking over it, I believe Square could do it. The original FF characters were nothing but a bunch of generics, so if XVI took a "back to the roots" approach to it could be cool. The framework is already there with XV Comrades (even though I haven't played it).

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm all for trying something new, the current formula isn't doing it for me. That being said, it would be pretty tricky to pull off while maintaining a good connection between the cast.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, fuck that. Also wouldn't work with the linear stories of FF. There's literally no point at all.
Player-created characters can mean as little as "you get to slightly customise their appearance". Was never an impediment for linear stories, provided that the storytelling talent is present.

The problem is that it seldom is.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed to a self-insert avatar character who is part of the group but with an actual main protagonist figure being front and centre in the game's main scenario. So essentially FFXII albeit with Vaan replaced by a player created avatar.

At least with a character creator there's more of a guarantee that at least one member of the group doesn't look (quite as) stupid.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All rpgs should have customization of the main character even if it's a set character with a personality and writing. Have a default appearance and just use that if you hate cc. Everyone wins.

I couldn't make it far into ff15 because I couldn't stomach the main character designs.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No thank you. Make a non-numbered FF game or another MMO for something like that. Final Fantasy to me is about the stories behind the core cast, including the main character.

Instead, they should make the main character as enjoyable as supporting characters like Auron, Balthier, Basch, etc.

I wouldn't mind an outfit customization system for XVI, though. That is about as far as I'd want it to go when it comes to customizing a character in a main number/non-MMO FF game.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
It might actually happen since FF is known for always trying new stuff and I would still play it.
But I'm not gonna lie, this would not be something I want in an offline entry.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't prefer it, but it could still be good. CC and good story/plot aren't exclusive to each other.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it will. Final Fantasy is too much about the story and especially the characters. I am guessing Tabata's new IP will though.

Foldedpencil

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a buckle slider at the very least. I want to be able to reduce the amount of buckles in the main character to a more practice half dozen buckles.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd prefer custom characters, as long as the editor is very good.

Frankly, as of late, Dragon Quest has characters whose unique traits add more to the game than FF... FF is like different shells that advance different parts of the plot. You could interchange the character to the plot role.