• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Part of me was wondering if Comrades was indeed testing the waters for something like that. I'm of two minds about it; on one hand, Dragon Quest IX pulled it off fairly well, but that's also because it stuck with the series' tried-and-true gameplay, which FF is increasingly straying from.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm neutral on this.

That said, a class-based Final Fantasy where you create your own character and recruit party members would be refreshing.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
XIV is a WoW clone. This thread I assume is talking about the next mainline FF game. Not seeing the relevance.

After Lightning and Noctis I think CAC is the best route they can go. SE obviously blow at creating MCs.
XIV's a mainline game, just like FFXI was. Square-Enix treats it as such. You don't have to like it, but dismissing it for petty reasons like it being a MMO is ridiculous.

And people are bringing it up as a reason why the next FF shouldn't have one, it'd be redundant at this point because XIV is going to keep going for the foreseeable future with new expansions and content, I think people want to see new mainline FF games with new iconic main characters. Bring someone in who isn't Nomura to do designs for once, Square has lots of artists or they can contract someone. He's been the character designer on almost every Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy 6, it'd be nice to see a different style for once.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, come on. They made a fighting game spinoff series based solely around its main protagonists and antagonists with another one coming out in a few months.

Based solely on appearance and super moves, not on actual well written characters. Theyre blank slates at best and annoying at worst. You can't relate or empathize with any of them because there's nothing there to draw out any feelings towards them.
They're nothing characters besides maybe Kain, Tidus and Squall. And two of those are annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
character_select.PNG

"a game in the franchise did it 30 years ago"

your point being?

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I just can't agree with this. It's matter of preference I don't like avatar protagonists, I guess people get invested in their creations?.. For FF it just doesn't work, each mainline has their protag shine and this just defeats the purpose.

For the souls and the MH's games of the world it's fine.

Sure, with that i can agree. It is a matter of preference. I took issue solely with the claim that it can't be promoted, for it most certainly can and has.

This is the thing with the Mass Effect approach: you can still do a default look and voice just fine *and also allow the player to modify the avatar*. Cloud would still be cloud if you could make his nose longer or his hair darker. Noctis would also remain noctis if you gave him green eyes and a less stupid haircut. The personality isn't just the canned appearance. The personality in story-based rpgs rises and becomes memorable... from the writing.

You can have the best character design in the world, it'll mean nothing if the writing isn't there. The inverse, however, doesn't necessarily follow, and you can have an absurdly interesting character with an utterly horrendous design, as this nearly 20 year old hideous fucker showed so well.
7Hybh0W.jpg

there are, however, hard limits. I aint touching no game with thousand year old dragons that look like 12 year olds, for example

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would haaaaaaaaaate it. that's not what I want from a final fantasy game. that's not what i want from any game tbh, but especially a final fantasy

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
After the last few FF games I wouldn't mind a self-made character.
It's not like the last few FF protags had much of a personality anyway.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, come on. They made a fighting game spinoff series based solely around its main protagonists and antagonists with another one coming out in a few months.
Well, they could still have a default look for a customizable character in FFXVI that's used for marketing (see FFXIV). They could use that brown-haired dude from FFXIV in Dissidia and it would work, don't you think? His default look is recognizable.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever. Please be a good character creator. I don't want to play as ugly people.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Based solely on appearance and super moves, not on actual well written characters. Theyre blank slates at best and annoying at worst. You can't relate or empathize with any of them because there's nothing there to draw out any feelings towards them.
They're nothing characters besides maybe Kain, Tidus and Squall. And two of those are annoying.

Cloud is basically the FF mascot, followed closely by Lightning because Japan is weird. Cloud's even in Smash Bros. He stars in his own full length movie.

Well, they could still have a default look for a customizable character in FFXVI that's used for marketing (see FFXIV). They could use that brown-haired dude from FFXIV in Dissidia and it would work, don't you think? His default look is recognizable.

FF14 is already represented by Y'shtola in both Dissidia and mobile apps as she's one of a few mainstay NPC's who will likely stick around until the very end.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it if they made the avatar like a side character, some thing like Biggs Wedge and Jessie but have your avatar run along side the main cast. I personally think some of the stuff they are doing in FF15 is a test bed for FF7R, like the multiplayer we will be creating avalanche members, but this is wild speculation on my part.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting idea, but it runs counter to the way Final Fantasy games are made nowadays (offline). However, I can imagine some kind of active world part of the game, where you can create a character, or for a strictly multiplayer sense. It's hard to say. People show the FF I thing but Final Fantasy hasn't been like that since the SNES days. It will be interesting to see how this new system gets implemented in future games, however. Realistically, though, I wouldn't have a problem if they did try to do some 'back to the roots' thing with XVI and make a character creator for the main party or main character.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud is basically the FF mascot, followed closely by Lightning because Japan is weird. Cloud's even in Smash Bros. He stars in his own full length movie.

And he doesn't have any real defining characteristics outside of the way he looks and his swordplay. Advent Children is incredibly badly written. It made the character somehow worse.

He's perfect for fighting games because backstories and emotional attachments don't matter(and because he looks cool), but they matter for rpgs.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'd be good. I mean, they could go the Dragon Age/Mass Effect route where your character is a character and you make dialouge choices and it decides you character (or they have a set character and you just change the look) but I don't think it would work. Like in FFXI and FFXIV, I like my character but they don't have much personality (outside of the Dark Knight quest line in XIV). There is very little input from your character and next to none of it matters, you are always the stalwart savior of the realm, selflessly protecting the weak and saving the world multiple times over for little to no thanks.

They could totally give the character a name, and personality and everything but then without user choice (like the Mass Effect/Dragon Age games) then it feels less like your own character and more like a skin you're putting on an established one. And I can't see SE going all in the choice and consequence and dialouge tree stuff in a FF, a series where they like to tell a set story with these set characters. I feel at best if they did have a CaC for XVI it would feel like making a costume for Cloud or Lightning and less like my created person saving the world.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
It would surely dampen my interest in the game. I prefer a character with a defined personality and look who is actively a part of the game's world. I usually find blank slate characters fairly boring. I know in theory I'm supposed to give them personality or project myself on them but games usually don't offer enough meaningful ways to interact with the game so the character comes off as a traitless nobody who can make some very basic choices.

I can. What now?

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd nope right on out. And given that a character creator would likely come packaged with another tedious MMO-like open world, I'd doubly nope right on out.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to add this into my other post but people probably wouldn't see it so making another post for it.

You can also kind of get the create a character like experience with a designed main character by having the main character be able to switch jobs and thus their appearance would change with it, and have some different types of armor loooks to equip, maybe let you alter the colors as well. It'd probably be demanding and cost a lot of money to have an entire cast be able to switch and equip different gear, ala pre-6 FF, especially if you wanted to go for a diverse cast in terms of looks/height/body shape/etc. because then you're also throwing in the work of fitting everything onto them so it doesn't look terrible.

But having a main character who at least you can change their equipment/job and all the party members have fixed jobs you can at least have a limited sense of customization without going full-on character customization, and then you can base your party around what job you have the MC as.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I'd only want this if the game had Jobs and was one of the more systems-focused entries. Unfortunately I doubt we'll be getting another of those.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BD5 should take a look at FFXV: Comrades :D It has a great, versatile CC. If you haven't checked out the recent Comrades thread:
Lol they made FFXIV, they don't need to look at anywhere else.

And he doesn't have any real defining characteristics outside of the way he looks and his swordplay. Advent Children is incredibly badly written. It made the character somehow worse.

He's perfect for fighting games because backstories and emotional attachments don't matter(and because he looks cool), but they matter for rpgs.
Can't take all the hot takes here. Cloud has no real characteristics? What?

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me but have you ever played FF7?

Amnesia man who steals another better character's identity cuz reasons? Yeah I've played it.
If you want a likable main character that has anything to do with FF7, there's Crisis Core. You get lameass Gackt, but you get a good protagonist that develops at a steady pace that you actually care about.
I like FF7, but it's not because of its characters or it's writing.

Oct 31, 2017
Hell no. I can't believe some ppl are actually saying "yes" to this. People are also forgetting that stuff like this also affects presentation. Same with open worlds. Go taint another IP

Last edited:

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Amnesia man who steals another better character's identity cuz reasons? Yeah I've played it.
If you want a likable main character that has anything to do with FF7, there's Crisis Core. You get lameass Gackt, but you get a good protagonist that develops at a steady pace that you actually care about.
I like FF7, but it's not because of its characters or it's writing.
you not liking a character =/= unlikable

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be OK with it. FF started like that, and most CRPGs with character creation have better stories than most FF games anyway.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For CaC to not be awkward in the same vein Shepard is, the character would need a voice actor, a name, and a personality. Might as well just go all the way and make it a full protag. Giving them appearance customization and gender select could work though.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So is fucking Pikachu. "But they're in a fighting game!" is a transcendentally bad argument for characters being well-written or not.

Pokémon should stop making new Pokémon and just let people make their own, yo! I think a Pokémon named Fartosaur that is a giant marshmallow really has more going for it than Pikachu anyway.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
I would welcome it.

It doesn't make or break the game for me though, what I want from a FF game is a good engaging story like FF6 or FF7. Heck, even the story in FF12 felt rather nice playing again after being swamped by so much bullshit fanservice in Japanese games for the past decade. So yeah, what I want the most from FF16 is a good mature engaging story. All the story complaints and me reading about the story in FF15 is what made me not buying the game.

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
Only if they aren't a silent protagonist.

XIV's created character has no personality at all. All you do is nod. They've tried to add dialogue choices recently but those don't do much at all either.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'd like it but only if it came with having several options for your character's background, name (or nickname) and a host of other things that would probably lead to something SE would be working on until the next century.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Full on customization or player choices that heavily influence the story with multiple endings and such is something that I don't want out of FF at all. Minor customization or choices is fine.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. I like having a set narrative with set characters in Final Fantasy no matter how good or bad it ends up. Final Fantasy 14 and 15 have it and that's good enough.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. I like having a set narrative with set characters in Final Fantasy no matter how good or bad it ends up. Final Fantasy 14 and 15 have it and that's good enough.
FFXV only has this for the multiplayer expansion, not the main game's main cast.

Besides, what if FFXVI had CC for the main character only and the other members (outside of visible equipment) and NPCs in the story are still predetermined? Basically like FFXIV, I guess.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
No. Either leave them to mmo's or some side mode for online kind of thing like comrades for ff 15.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I wouldn't be for custom main protagonists, but side characters that you inlist into your party would be a different story, since they could sit in the background while the narrative unfolds.