• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If it's done like Mass Effect or Dragon Age I'm all for it.

If it's done like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Destiny, or any other game of that ilk then hell no.

Heck I'd rather see a Sonic Forces or FF11/14 scenario where your CAC is a party member of the heroes team.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
If it's done like FFXIV I see no issues at all. That game works the way it does because you are able to project your own emotions onto the character and they sort of act as the foundation for the wonderful supporting cast or characters.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It's not what I'm looking for in a Final Fantasy game.

But I would have said that about an action game too, and I loved FF13 anyway.

So if they want to try it, whatever.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Would prefer to create my entire party instead of only the protagonist.

FF feels right when the entire party have the same gameplay priority, and (main) character creation would imply that the player will control the protagonist with the allies serving only as support.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It needs to happen. This comrades character creator is too good to just be a one and done deal.

I'd love to see a new MMO set in the 15 or 12 universe using this character creator .

Personally I'd love a Destiny like SP pseudo MMO from square.

Comrades is best dlc of the year even with its bugs and grind .

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well throw in a morality scale and Diablo loot system while you're at it

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I just don't understand. Why do people want FF to turn into a WRPG? You don't see me going to Fallout boards/topics and saying that the next one should have a defined cast and a focus on story and presentation. Or going on topics/forums for Naughty Dog games like Uncharted and saying the next game should have a CaC. It's ridiculous and one of the defining traits of FF is outstanding presentation, which already suffered immensely in XV due to the focus on the Open World and trying to emulate WRPG's.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I wouldn't mind it but either the story would take a step back cause of this or they would just have an actual main character and your CC be the pseudo main character or deuteragonist.

They've done it before with 1 and 3.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
character_select.PNG
Exactly bring this back. No more set party, give me a list of jobs pick my party from.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
It needs to happen. This comrades character creator is too good to just be a one and done deal.

I'd love to see a new MMO set in the 15 or 12 universe using this character creator .

Personally I'd love a Destiny like SP pseudo MMO from square.

Comrades is best dlc of the year even with its bugs and grind .
They should learn from Comrades' feedback (e.g. much quicker gameplay loop with less loading screens/menus before and after missions, and an actual party invite system) and relaunch it next year as a standalone FFXV: Online :P Add purely cosmetic MTX/loot boxes and keep supporting it as a GaaS.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should learn from Comrades' feedback (e.g. much quicker gameplay loop with less loading screens/menus before and after missions, and an actual party invite system) and relaunch it next year as a standalone FFXV: Online :P Add purely cosmetic MTX/loot boxes and keep supporting it as a GaaS.

I would say they can launch it standalone for $20.00 to just make some money up front, and free to those of us who did season pass or actual standalone already for it. Then continue with a GaaS model, and those who already got it maybe get some extra "founder" equipment or something.

They can keep building on this and keep refining. You look at games like Warhammer and where they were to where they are now, and continued support of this makes total sense.

Oct 26, 2017
North America
I think that would be really neat.

I'd specifically want Final Fantasy XVI to be the combination of the following:
  • party member base selection from Final Fantasy 1
  • manual job class changing during in-game from Final Fantasy 5

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I would be against it. The series has evolved starting at II to feature protagonists that we follow not create. It's a big part of the series other than the MMO's which is like that for obvious reasons.

I like that each title has a particular main character we associate it to and character create will pretty much mean we have to pick their personality and look. The most I'm okay with is weapon and armour change that are consistent with the character. Job change is a great system too and doesn't require a complete blank slate to do it.

Oct 28, 2017
Sure why not, I enjoy FFXIV and have stopped caring about which direction the series takes for quite a while now, so anything is good to me.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I just don't understand. Why do people want FF to turn into a WRPG? You don't see me going to Fallout boards/topics and saying that the next one should have a defined cast and a focus on story and presentation. Or going on topics/forums for Naughty Dog games like Uncharted and saying the next game should have a CaC. It's ridiculous and one of the defining traits of FF is outstanding presentation, which already suffered immensely in XV due to the focus on the Open World and trying to emulate WRPG's.
I was just thinking this.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind another FFI or V like entry with a job system and that could fit a character creator. A gameplay-focused FF could be interesting in this day and age, but against the grain of what I imagine most FF fans want.

FFXIV (and I imagine XI, which I didn't play) sort of tapped into that and so did the BD games, but I could enjoy a mainline, single-player FF take on that sort of game again.

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Not my cup of tea. I think it's fine for an online component, but I rather have a JRPG that is story driven with a preset character.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. This would be the 1st main lone FF game I would not buy if that was the case.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV only has this for the multiplayer expansion, not the main game's main cast.

Besides, what if FFXVI had CC for the main character only and the other members (outside of visible equipment) and NPCs in the story are still predetermined? Basically like FFXIV, I guess.

If it's kind of like say Fire Emblem or something it would be fine, but I guess I more mean a Final Fantasy that has a story that dynamically changes due to your character being something made up. I wouldn't really want a mass effect style final fantasy. I just personally like having iconic characters because you can have the writing tailored around the person in control. You can use the persons looks, attitude, gender, or anything else heavily in the story and with a created character you would need a ton of work to make that possible and I know that isn't going to happen lol.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way for the writing of these games to get worse, so I say go for it. You can only go up from the bottom.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I briefly thought about this, and at this point I don't mind if a future mainline FF game had a CaC main. Mostly because I rarely liked the lead characters of the FF games beyond their move sets. They all ranged from being annoying to just being...there and I much preferred the supporting cast. Only Zidane is the one main character I liked and that's because he reminded me of a previous side character I liked, Locke.

So bring on the character creation or whatever.

re2pect2

Nov 5, 2017
I prefer a preset character if the game is going to be story-driven. If FF is turning into an open-world GAAS, then I guess creating your own character is fine.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad to see people voicing the desire for a return to FF1 because that was the first thought that popped into my head when I saw the thread title. I would really dig that.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
If they do it like Mass Effect where the character still has a pre-determined-ish personality/backstory and whatnot, then I'd be game. Otherwise? No thanks. Only other way I can see them doing it would be to make the character silent and just an instrument for the players to interact with the world and characters, and not a proper character.

Choosing from a selection of preset characters with specific jobs would be cool, though. Throw in two versions (for male and female) for each job and some other light customization while you're at it. I'd love that. Given that they still have a pre-determined-ish personality/backstory.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
If we ever had a player ceated character,I don't want them to be a silent protagonist, let them be fully voiced and be in the cinematics, I know it's gonna be nearly impossible to put them in the CGI cut scenes, but we can keep these CGI cutscenes to an absolute minimum.

Otherwise, I'd be fine with a character that is not playee created.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we ever had a player ceated character,I don't want them to be a silent protagonist, let them be fully voiced and be in the cinematics, I know it's gonna be nearly impossible to put them in the CGI cut scenes, but we can keep these CGI cutscenes to an absolute minimum.

Otherwise, I'd be fine with a character that is not playee created.

Mass effect has a fully voiced created character. Why can't that work with FF?

As for cut scenes it wouldn't be hard to make sure the scenes don't involve voice acting from the main protagonist , but in all honesty I'm fine with the series moving away from CG altogether with how good FF looks in game already.

Via_Purifico

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that just because of a CC feature doesn't mean an open world concept has to come along with it. ME shows that, you can have a more linear experience and still have a custom character.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
To be honest, I wouldn't care that much either way, but I'd prefer a fixed protagonist for mainline FF.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Mass effect has a fully voiced created character. Why can't that work with FF?

As for cut scenes it wouldn't be hard to make sure the scenes don't involve voice acting from the main protagonist , but in all honesty I'm fine with the series moving away from CG altogether with how good FF looks in game already.

I agree that we don't need CGI anymore, they mostly use it for marketing nowadays anyway.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that just because of a CC feature doesn't mean an open world concept has to come along with it. ME shows that, you can have a more linear experience and still have a custom character.

I would love if it was akin to an older FF like 12, but with a CC.

The open world in 15 is not a good one, but I can see why they went open world because the old games always had the overworld to explore . Natural series progression .

Oct 27, 2017
If it's another MMO, sure. Otherwise, no way. Strongly designed main characters are a staple of post NES FF (though of course ymmv on any particular protagonist). In fact removing an over-designed protagonist from offline FF would be like taking away Mario's jump.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
XIV already shows that it can work. Heavenward is one of my favorite storylines in the Final Fantasy franchise and they do a fantastic job making the protagonist feel part of this small group you're adventuring accross Ishgard with despite not having any dialogue beyond a few choices and serving as a catalyst for players to project themselves into the world better.

Like despite that you still feel your character is a part of this group rather than being an observer, and that gives me confidence that if done right, they could tell great stories even without a premade character..

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Mass Effect is a CAC system, right ? Shepard still has the personality you want to imbue into him (and an overall personality he will always have regardless of what you choose too)
Shepard barely has anything resembling a character arc in the first two games, though, and what little there is in the third game feels disjointed because she hardly has the chance to express her feelings.

Thing is, the more option you give to the player in shaping a character personality, the harder it is keep a strong personal stake related to the story.

Please no. Story-driven games need actual characters. Every example of create a character has had the story suffer because of it.
To be fair, Saints Row is one of the very few games in which the custom character actually has a well-defined character and character-arc. It's basically your regular pre-defined character, only with customizable appearance and voice.

XIV already shows that it can work. Heavenward is one of my favorite storylines in the Final Fantasy franchise and they do a fantastic job making the protagonist feel part of this small group you're adventuring accross Ishgard with despite not having any dialogue beyond a few choices and serving as a catalyst for players to project themselves into the world better.

Like despite that you still feel your character is a part of this group rather than being an observer, and that gives me confidence that if done right, they could tell great stories even without a premade character..
Yea, but what a boring character that FF XIV protagonist is. I mean, if you gave me 6 potential party members and I could only take three to battle, I'd be miffed if the one person I could never take off party is the silent one with the weakest personal connection to the story.

Last edited: