• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who has done the best job at making their older titles available?

• Nintendo

• Sony

• Microsoft

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Sony doesn't have PS Classics on PS4 either though, they also killed ther PSP store (although you can still sideload games from PC/PS3), PS+ and PSNow both dropped PS3/Vita... their retro efforts also seem largely focused on legacy platforms and those are at an end too, the west hasn't gotten a PS Classic release in over 2 years (3 years for Europe). The strikes against Nintendo you laid out here all also appear to apply to Sony so I can't really follow the reasoning? Feels more like a preference in search of a rationalization.

PS4 is 3.5 years older than Switch. And it still has fewer legacy 1st party titles available.

Speaking of "a preference in search of rationalization", it sure sounds a lot like you have a preference and are willing to take any twists and turns to defend it.

I won't even bother commenting on things like "killed PSP store (but you can still sideload the games)". I mean, really? Really really? Maybe try reading the things you write.

It's not like Sony is perfect in game preservation, but so far, outside of BC, they're doing a lot of things right, right now. But what Nintendo has been doing in recent times has been just horrible to watch. It makes me think that Satoru Iwata was their big game preservation defender, and after he was gone, things have just gone crazy there. I really think that if Satoru Iwata was still here, things wouldn't be like this.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of "a preference in search of rationalization", it sure sounds a lot like you have a preference and are willing to take any twists and turns to defend it.

I won't even bother commenting on things like "killed PSP store (but you can still sideload the games)". I mean, really? Really really? Maybe try reading the things you write.

It's not like Sony is perfect in game preservation, but so far, outside of BC, they're doing a lot of things right, right now. But what Nintendo has been doing in recent times has been just horrible to watch. It makes me think that Satoru Iwata was their big game preservation defender, and after he was gone, things have just gone crazy there. I really think that if Satoru Iwata was still here, things wouldn't be like this.
Ah yes, clearly it's my "preferences" here that resulted in me voting for... Microsoft. lol. I'm not the one in need of twisting and turning to defend my position here.

This might also be the first time I'm hearing that killing PS Classics is "doing things right". Hopefully it's the last too because frankly that's garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
PS4: 10/10- Can't ask for anything better. Got my PS Classic for PS1 games, got only the cream of the crop PS2 classics on PS4. Awesome stuff.

Xbox: 2/10- Not that great. My tv is only 720p, so all these 4k remasters are lost on me personally. And honestly, 60fps is kinda overrated. Maybe its just me, but I always liked the feel of 24fps. Don't like that Xbox forces 30fps on me.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is the winner in both attitude and execution, but their library leaves a lot to be desired when compared to Nintendo and Sony.

If Sony actually took the steps to make it happen, they could offer the best library ever on PS5. It would be such a winning move for them (they have to be aware of that), but I'm prepared to only expect PS4 games on PS5, and maybe the same thing they've been doing with remasters and remakes of older games. Nintendo could be doing more for GameCube games being made available on Switch, and I don't like these NES games locked behind the online paywall.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is the clear winner, though they have the advantage of having a smaller back catalog. Even with that their stance on backwards compatibility should be the standard.

Nintendo is in second, they were better about it with the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, but the Switch is lacking. Mini consoles make up a bit for it, on top of being a fun gimmick.

Sony is left picking up the pieces. PlayStation Now is pretty weak, and the lack of BC on PS4 is atrocious. They're hamstrung a bit by the cell architecture of the PS3, but I would have hoped they would have found a solution by now. The fact that the PS5 BC is even a question says all you need to know. They even fucked up the softball of the PS1 Mini.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
How anyone can vote over MS is beyond me. They've activley been putting out BC from their old consoles and not only just straight porting them but a lot of then run and look better. They're in the major leagues while everyone else is in pee-wee. MS even lets you put your old games in their new system and play them.

Killing it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Wii U is capable of playing something like 99% of the Wii library right out of the box and the 3DS is similarly compatible with the DS library. Stack on Virtual Console releases across the Wii Shop Channel (Now dead, unfortunately) and the Wii U eShop and you've got a godly line up of retro games.

Unfortunately the Switch turned that nozzle down to zero and now we're at NES games and nothing more.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the PS5 BC is even a question says all you need to know.
They are not ready to talk about PS5 yet, so we can only question what to make of it based on Sony's current actions. Before this gen, nobody would have expected MS to be such a proponent of BC among other things, and the idea of Nintendo shying away from it with the Switch is another pretty unexpected move, so we can only really know after the fact, what to expect.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
PS4: 10/10- Can't ask for anything better. Got my PS Classic for PS1 games, got only the cream of the crop PS2 classics on PS4. Awesome stuff.

Xbox: 2/10- Not that great. My tv is only 720p, so all these 4k remasters are lost on me personally. And honestly, 60fps is kinda overrated. Maybe its just me, but I always liked the feel of 24fps. Don't like that Xbox forces 30fps on me.

what in the world

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is the only one doing it right. In comparison, Sony and Nintendo aren't even trying.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Sony did a great job last gen with older titles but looks like I'm going to have to buy a refurbished ps3 until Sony fixes it with ps5 (hopefully)

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft is way ahead this generation but OP didn't specify this generation.

I voted Nintendo because in so many ways Wii Virtual Console is what set the standard, and up until the Switch Nintendo's backward compatibility with new consoles was insane. Plus I personally think Nintendo should get credit for the only mini consoles that are really top notch efforts with unique and quality emulators, and I am personally really liking the Netflix style online service and I can't wait to see where it goes.

But for all of that Nintendo makes sure their old games still demand top dollar, so its definitely a situation where I can only justify them being #1 if cost isn't a factor.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly Microsoft is king here, but I'm amazed that Nintendo and Sony are neck and neck in votes here. With Nintendo you've got some kind of fair argument maybe, but why the hell is anyone voting for Sony?

It makes no sense. Nintendo is still selling and marketing a platform with full backward compatibility and a decent VC library. Sony isn't really selling PS3s or Vitas anymore.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo would be right there with MS if they got that Switch virtual console service right, at least put some SNES games on there

20 joke votes for Sony right ? Except patapon

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony was on the right track with PS Classics on the PSP, PS3 & Vita, but they've since jumped off a cliff fucking over download license purchasers in the process.

Nintendo was on a great path with Virtual Console on the Wi w/ BC on the GC, but some weird stuff happened with their split shops on the 3DS & Wii U, and they've decided to start over again leaving download licenses behind on outgoing hardware.

MS is now the only company on the right track in this space. Allowing older disc purchases to be used directly on new hardware to unlock downloads and pulling a growing list compatible digital licenses forward they really are miles ahead of the others.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo was winning up to and including the Wii U, largely because I value breadth of compatibility over specific game enhancements.

Right now, though, looking specifically at the current consoles, it's pretty obviously Microsoft.

It'd be interesting to look at major third-party publishers and how good they are at making their old games accessible as well.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Here's hoping the PS5 has taken notes on MS's backwards compatibility and I'm finally able to play all my PS1/PS2 classics I have installed on my still plugged in PS3.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Microsoft's BC coders are wizards, but this poll wouldn't look as one-sided if Nintendo had made Wii VC work on Switch, not having VC on Switch is possibly their biggest mistake this generation.

If Nintendo let you carry your Wii, Wii U and 3DS titles over, and had the VC on Switch, it would be up there with Microsoft

That would be the dream

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Depend on when you start considering BC. Because sony had done a good job before ps4.
It wasn't a priority when they struggled with ps3 so it was left behind, but Vita still supported both psp and psone. It still surprises me no psone support at all.
Nintendo did ok too until switch, they also priorized other things after the wiiu debacle, despite rereleasing, even with improvements, several WiiU games that could be running on switch at least the ones bought digitally, including old nes/snes/n64 games...
MS..I don't remember if 360 was BC with XB, and with One it started half generation, so not exactly great, and also supports part of the catalog, also not great. It seems to slowly grow though and improvements on XBX seem great, so if the games you want are supported and you own an X, it is a great thing to have. Too bad they did this instead of making priorizing first party content unlike Nintendo and Sony.
Not that you cannot have both things, but the reality is this.
Interesting to see what happens next generation.

Oct 28, 2017
Sony were great in the PS3/PSP era. Now they're garbage. Nintendo were great in the Wii era. Now they're garbage. Microsoft are the only one doing a great job in the current era.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Depend on when you start considering BC. Because sony had done a good job before ps4.
It wasn't a priority when they struggled with ps3 so it was left behind, but Vita still supported both psp and psone. It still surprises me no psone support at all.
Nintendo did ok too until switch, they also priorized other things after the wiiu debacle, despite rereleasing, even with improvements, several WiiU games that could be running on switch at least the ones bought digitally, including old nes/snes/n64 games...
MS..I don't remember if 360 was BC with XB, and with One it started half generation, so not exactly great, and also supports part of the catalog, also not great. It seems to slowly grow though and improvements on XBX seem great, so if the games you want are supported and you own an X, it is a great thing to have. Too bad they did this instead of making priorizing first party content unlike Nintendo and Sony.
Not that you cannot have both things, but the reality is this.
Interesting to see what happens next generation.

I think my main concern is that both Sony and Nintendo have regressed quite a lot, whereas Microsoft have been always improving

The VC and BC systems were great, and then the Switch killed that and sold a handful of games tied to a subscription. Once that reaches saturation they'll have no reason to bend over backwards to keep adding more titles, so by design the online service is doomed to fall short of the VC

Sony has BC systems and then sold PS1 and PS2 games on PSN, then the PS4 dropped most of that and half arsed selling a few PS2 games

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Imagine trying to explain this thread to someone on Gaf from 2013.

The intense shifts these companies have made since are mind-blowing.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even close. Nintendo and Sony have been disgraceful this gen. Anyone voting for them should take a serious look at themselves.

This is the one thing I get annoyed about in gaming. Nintendo and Sony care much more about shiny new games than honouring their heritage. It's alright when we get remasters of the popular classics, but Sony's and Nintendo's previous efforts meant we'd get some of the less popular classics like Vagrant Story and FF Tactics Advance too. Absolute fucking disgrace.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not even close. Nintendo and Sony have been disgraceful this gen. Anyone voting for them should take a serious look at themselves.

This is the one thing I get annoyed about in gaming. Nintendo and Sony care much more about shiny new games than honouring their heritage. It's alright when we get remasters of the popular classics, but Sony's and Nintendo's previous efforts meant we'd get some of the less popular classics like Vagrant Story and FF Tactics Advance too. Absolute fucking disgrace.

FFT Advance is on the Wii U eShop and Vagrant Story can be played on PS3/Vita as a PS1 classic, so they have at least recently been made available

Both Sony and Nintendo have really half arsed it with their most recent systems though

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas

Dude, cut the shit. Answer his question. If in your original post you said MS is doing the best of the 3 right now why did you vote for Sony? This has nothing to do with your Nintendo tangent. If you're a Sony homer and want to vote for them that's fine but just admit as much. It'll still be a ridiculous answer but at least you wouldn't be swerving all over the place trying to justify your preferences like you are now. As it stands you got popped with an open poll and can't admit as much. lol

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo Switch and PS4 are like 1/10 efforts. Past efforts doesn't matter. Being able to play previously purchased games is the passing rate for playing past games and they both fail.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

lol

Oct 28, 2017
Once that reaches saturation they'll have no reason to bend over backwards to keep adding more titles, so by design the online service is doomed to fall short of the VC

I will admit I am being optimistic about it, but the fact its a subscription is what gives me real hope it will get better.

They need to give people who paid for a year one mostly for Smash a reason to pay for a year 2 next year when Smash hype fades, and throwing (for example) SNES on the service in say September 2019 and then N64 games in say September 2020 is a way to for Nintendo to get year two and three subscriptions out of people who would have cancelled after year one if we had all those games today (because they would be bored of all them by year two). Suddenly with the subscription model the trickle feed NEEDS some big upgrades at least once a year to keep the money train rolling.

On top of that I have a lot of hope of what the online service means going forward into next generation. Nintendo would never outright say anything about any of this (yet), but it seems obvious to me that they hope this new Netflix model is a long term plan that if successful could carry to whatever Switch 2 they are working on to make that 10 year contract with Nvidia worthwhile.

Obviously best case scenario would be Nintendo allowing purchase transfers between generations like Microsoft does but they don't want to do that because they want to be paid for those titles every generation. That is why the Wii U had that awkward Virtual Console transfer system with upgrade fees from the Wii, and is probably why the Virtual Console brand is dead. With a subscription model there is no reason that people can't have every title trickled out over the Switch's life for the Switch 2 day one as long as you stay subscribed to the service, which means the Switch 2 could launch with the best value classic library of all time.

Of course I could be wrong and it could just be NES games for four years and a complete reboot for the Switch 2, but that just feels so unlikely.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that, since he voted for Sony... and has a Spiderman avatar....

Lol. I find the whole thread ridiculous. Why ask such a question with an obvious answer.

PS4 is my main platform, but bc on ps4 sucks complete dogshit.
Xbox is doing amazing.

Everyone knows this.

I voted Sony just to fuck with the poll.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is doing an absolute bang up job and it's the no. 1 reason I'm eyeing a One X as my next system. The other two... They don't even come close. Disappointing really.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I find the whole thread ridiculous. Why ask such a question with an obvious answer.

PS4 is my main platform, but bc on ps4 sucks complete dogshit.
Xbox is doing amazing.

Everyone knows this.

I voted Sony just to fuck with the poll.
original.gif

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Last gen:
Sony: 8/10 - PS2 BC was dropped a couple years into the PS3's life and that really sucked but PS1 BC stuck around, there were an absolute ton of PS1 Classics and a significant number of PS2 Classics. On top of all that, it was amazing how PS1 Classics were cross-buy between PS3, PSP and Vita.
Nintendo: 7/10 - GC BC was great and Virtual Console was a good service but the lack of cross-buy and Nintendo's shitty DRM bring it down.
Microsoft: 1/10 - A tiny number of oXbox BC titles and that's it, they did the absolute bare minimum.

This gen:
Sony: 3/10 - Sony does get some credit for their cross-buy efforts early this gen, with a number of PS3 remasters and even third party games allowing you to get the PS4 version for free or with a large discount if you owned the PS3/Vita version. Otherwise there's the weak PS2 on PS4 offerings, which clearly wasn't provided many resources and has obviously been abandoned. And the PS1 Classic, which was very disappointing but even if it wasn't, I wouldn't really count it in their favour (I have nothing against the "classics" systems but to me they're more about nostalgia than anything else).
Nintendo: 2/10 - Ignoring the Wii U because it's irrelevant these days, they've got the weak offerings on their online service and the NES and SNES Classics, which are at least well executed.
Microsoft: 9/10 - In a generation of fuck ups, BC is the one thing Microsoft has gotten right. There's a ton of games available and the improvements they've made are really cool.

So yeah, TBH I'm not sure why this is a thread because the answer is obvious but kudos to Microsoft.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo and Sony were great about it in the PS3/Wii era and since then they've gone downhill. Microsoft is the king of backwards compatibility.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I think my main concern is that both Sony and Nintendo have regressed quite a lot, whereas Microsoft have been always improving

The VC and BC systems were great, and then the Switch killed that and sold a handful of games tied to a subscription. Once that reaches saturation they'll have no reason to bend over backwards to keep adding more titles, so by design the online service is doomed to fall short of the VC

Sony has BC systems and then sold PS1 and PS2 games on PSN, then the PS4 dropped most of that and half arsed selling a few PS2 games
Agree.
However both Sony and Nintendo came from difficult times, and focused on the main attractive for a new console: new software, almost everything else was left behind, the only thing they invested in was up to date features like game streaming and things like that. That seems reasonable to me. Even MS didn't care about BC early this gen and only became a thing after being left behind by most gamers.
Now that both Sony and Nintendo are in a much better situation it would make sense that they started to care about BC too.... But i guess at least Sony, is saving that bullet for ps5 instead of wasting it for ps4 that clearly, doesn't need it so late into the generation and selling so much.