• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who has done the best job at making their older titles available?

• Nintendo

• Sony

• Microsoft

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Am I wrong?

Might as well have a poll asking which console has the most letter "x" 's in it.

The thread is asking how you would rate each company, it's only the poll that is asking who do you think is doing the best job

There are 4 pages of comments where people are discussing the thread title and not just saying "Xbox lol"

I'm sorry the notion of the poll outraged you to the point where you felt a protest vote was necessary though

Staff

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dude, cut the shit. Answer his question. If in your original post you said MS is doing the best of the 3 right now why did you vote for Sony? This has nothing to do with your Nintendo tangent. If you're a Sony homer and want to vote for them that's fine but just admit as much. It'll still be a ridiculous answer but at least you wouldn't be swerving all over the place trying to justify your preferences like you are now. As it stands you got popped with an open poll and can't admit as much. lol

Just Drop It. The user does not have to answer the question or what they voted on in the poll if they do not wish to. There's no reason to take this into such a personal space.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Nintendo is the worst for me, they have a huge library with all time classics that could be available on Switch buy only do mini consoles with a dozen games each :(

MS is the best by far

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realize votes were public, lol. Some good shaming potential here.

Ah yes, clearly it's my "preferences" here that resulted in me voting for... Microsoft. lol. I'm not the one in need of twisting and turning to defend my position here.

This might also be the first time I'm hearing that killing PS Classics is "doing things right". Hopefully it's the last too because frankly that's garbage.

You see, you're looking at this whole thing from a really twisted perspective. You think this is about "shaming" people and it doesn't look like you think that you should actually read what people post.

That's what I'm basing my replies to you on. I haven't looked at what you voted and I really don't care. Your behavior in this whole thing has been, let's say less than mature.

Also this is the first I'm hearing of Sony "killing" PS Classics. Guess that means you can't buy them anymore, just like you really and actually can't use the DSI shop anymore and can't even add points to the Wii Shop anymore. Really, just cut out the console war mentality. And speaking of that...

Dude, cut the shit. Answer his question. If in your original post you said MS is doing the best of the 3 right now why did you vote for Sony? This has nothing to do with your Nintendo tangent. If you're a Sony homer and want to vote for them that's fine but just admit as much. It'll still be a ridiculous answer but at least you wouldn't be swerving all over the place trying to justify your preferences like you are now. As it stands you got popped with an open poll and can't admit as much. lol

You're an embarrassment. If you actually care about this, go read my posts and fiendcode's posts. Then come back and apologize.

Feb 10, 2018
Even though PS3 BC not being on PS4 is understandable . They could of made Uncharted collection, god of war trilogy, TLOU R, and made PS4 Versions of the other top 20 PS3 and PS2 exclusives and made them free for people who owned them, this would of also help putting these games on PS5, but no, Sony does nothing, they don't care supporting gamers in this case.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Without question Microsoft are doing the best job of this. I'd rank Nintendo slightly over Sony, but both are lightyears behind Microsoft.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rate most of them a solid "responsive to actual demand" out of ten, maybe with Microsoft on top. Despite the misleadingly vocal minority's outrage, these companies have minimal incentive and no obligation to make dated, constantly accumulating titles available every single generation to people who don't own the old consoles.

I didn't mean to dodge the pretense and vagueness there, but I assume that this is really just a commentary on emulation?

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of split on this one. Microsoft clearly wins with the current backwards compatible system, but I feel like Sony offers more quality titles via psone and ps2 downloadable library.

Both are solid but Sony could definitely learn from Microsoft. Especially because the library they have is so much better imo.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft: 9/10. They're supposed to be in a much harder position for backwards compat due to them starting with the Xbox, yet here we are. AND they go the extra step of rendering older games at a higher resolution.

Sony: 3/10 What the fuck happened?? They went from having the best archiving to having one of the worst

Nintendo: 4/10. Same deal as Sony, but at least their classic consoles are serviceable and the nes games live on through the online stuff.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It's obviously MS.

After the amount of money I spent on classic games on the PS3 and the Wii, for those companies to not honor those and carry them forward...fuck them. Big part of why I have no interest in investing in their ecosystems (especially digitally) currently.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft does great. Sony is meh. But Nintendo kind gets an F- for how they miserly hoard their old games. There shouldn't be any reason why I can't turn on my Switch and buy an NES game for a few bucks and be able to play. If they could release 3 games, why not 30?

I own the Snes mini and that is pretty cool. But that also isn't mobile. Most of those old games would be perfect to play on the go. Most of these games can be played on the go illegally with an emulator.

I'm probably never going to sign up for a Nintendo online service. And my Switch sits there collecting dust. I haven't had the urge to turn it on since I beat Odyssey. I would have sold it if I hadn't asked for my copy of Bloodstained to be on Switch. I would probably have my Switch all the time if I could play some old N64/GC/Wii/Snes/Nes games.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
All I have to say is fuck Nintendo. They abandonded old game support so they can sell those classic consoles and they can milk some more money, fuck them. Even though I don't have an Xbox I have to congratulate them for how they handle old games, not only they make them available but they are on higher resolutions. I might buy an Xbox down the lane just for that reason.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You see, you're looking at this whole thing from a really twisted perspective. You think this is about "shaming" people and it doesn't look like you think that you should actually read what people post.

That's what I'm basing my replies to you on. I haven't looked at what you voted and I really don't care. Your behavior in this whole thing has been, let's say less than mature.

Also this is the first I'm hearing of Sony "killing" PS Classics. Guess that means you can't buy them anymore, just like you really and actually can't use the DSI shop anymore and can't even add points to the Wii Shop anymore. Really, just cut out the console war mentality. And speaking of that...

You're an embarrassment. If you actually care about this, go read my posts and fiendcode's posts. Then come back and apologize.
I'm looking at this purely on the merits of the OP. By all means keep digging though, you've really got no room to call anyone else an embarrassement here given your grasping specious arguments all because you didn't realize you were voting in a public poll. Crying console war is a diversion that's fooling no one.

PS Classics aren't available on any current Sony supported platform and the service hasn't gotten any releases in 3 years. Meanwhile you can still grab DSiWare on a currently supported Nintendo platform though.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Is this like that controller vs keyboard poll, where any Venn diagram with both The Wrong Answer and A Very Good Ignore List as the two data sets would look like a perfect circle?

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft makes their older titles available or playable on new platforms. Sony and Nintendo resell their older titles.

Even though it is not my platform of choice, I respect Microsoft's decision to support their older content and wish the other platforms would follow suit.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft are doing everything right here.

Nintendo and Sony are equally bad and disappointing.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Microsoft's BC policies are the reason I'm buying games on Xbox instead of ps4 now like I had been for most of the last 4 years. I think PS5 will be bc but I can't be sure so buying Xbox versions. I lost access to so many ps3, ps2 and ps1 games since I packed my PS3 away. Don't want that happening again. If PS5 is not bc I'll be getting rid of all my physical PS4 games for XOne versions.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft does great. Sony is meh. But Nintendo kind gets an F- for how they miserly hoard their old games. There shouldn't be any reason why I can't turn on my Switch and buy an NES game for a few bucks and be able to play. If they could release 3 games, why not 30?

I own the Snes mini and that is pretty cool. But that also isn't mobile. Most of those old games would be perfect to play on the go. Most of these games can be played on the go illegally with an emulator.

I'm probably never going to sign up for a Nintendo online service. And my Switch sits there collecting dust. I haven't had the urge to turn it on since I beat Odyssey. I would have sold it if I hadn't asked for my copy of Bloodstained to be on Switch. I would probably have my Switch all the time if I could play some old N64/GC/Wii/Snes/Nes games.

well, that's on you not buying games because the offer is out there

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I suppose it really depends on when you're asking.

Nintendo's virtual console was fantastic on the Wii before diving into some fairly shoddy emulation these past two generations.

Sony included robust backwards compatibility for the launch of the PS3 only to gut the console of it's PS2 hardware BUT had a sizable collection of PS1 and PS2 games available for download. But now the PS4 relies on the PS Npw for most of it's previous generation's games.

Meanwhile, Microsoft gave the 360 some very gross emulation of the original Xbox but today has revolutionized preservation with a system that retains the values of collections while creating a financial incentive for 3rd parties.

So, as you have probably noticed by now, it's a lot of starts and stops. Will the Xbox still be so friendly to retro games in the future? Maybe.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MS for this current gen is simply 10/10

But i would not just put nintendo into like the worst considering how much effort they had done historically with Wii VC, 3ds and Wii U VC.
Their classic console effort is also really good and set a great bar for others.

Now, Nintendo just need to actually improve on their offering on switch more.

Sony should not even be on the pool considering the traversty of PS classic just now lol.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Out of the 3, Microsoft being the most recent player in the game and with the smallest library still manages to bring more out their titles to their current platform.
It is just amazing and I look forward to the others also doing this in the future.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Microsoft: 9/10: 360 kinect games must be preserved too. They can't do drivers for the old model to work on XB1? Otherwise they have an amazing industry leading BC program.
Sony: 0/10: Laughable
Nintendo: 5/10. Classic consoles are good but we need real switch VC. Not charging people again if possible.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking at this purely on the merits of the OP. By all means keep digging though, you've really got no room to call anyone else an embarrassement here given your grasping specious arguments all because you didn't realize you were voting in a public poll. Crying console war is a diversion that's fooling no one.

PS Classics aren't available on any current Sony supported platform and the service hasn't gotten any releases in 3 years. Meanwhile you can still grab DSiWare on a currently supported Nintendo platform though.

Do you really think I didn't "realize" that? Do you really think there's any actual reason for your childish whining? What I'm saying that you and that other guy's behavior has been beyond stupid. This really shouldn't be console wars turf, but you're hell bent on looking at it like that. SMH

And as always, you're ridiculously poorly informed, or twisting things beyond all recognition. Even if you count out the PS Vita on some "current Sony supported platform" inanity, PS Classics are on PS4 and they've never gone away. It's like having a console war with Trump.

Seriously, SERIOUSLY. Look at how you have behaved here. You really have been a complete embarrassment to yourself.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Nintendo has somehow regressed in this area since the Wii, which had a number of systems represented beyond their own. The Switch should be a haven for their retro catalogue, available for purchase under a Nintendo 'classics' label as well as via subscription. Yeah the mini consoles are fine little nostalgia trinkets, but they're closed boxes requiring some 'fine-tuning' to bring out the potential of the device. When I bought my Switch last year I had visions of loading up my SD card with tons of NES and SNES titles. I mean Capcom, SNK, and Sega have more of their retro content available for sale via different collections or programs like 'Sega Ages' than Nintendo does.

Last edited:

Aeson

Jan 4, 2018
The only thing more bizarre about people voting for Sony is that they were included in the poll at all.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Do you really think I didn't "realize" that? Do you really think there's any actual reason for your childish whining? What I'm saying that you and that other guy's behavior has been beyond stupid. This really shouldn't be console wars turf, but you're hell bent on looking at it like that. SMH

And as always, you're ridiculously poorly informed, or twisting things beyond all recognition. Even if you count out the PS Vita on some "current Sony supported platform" inanity, PS Classics are on PS4 and they've never gone away. It's like having a console war with Trump.

Seriously, SERIOUSLY. Look at how you have behaved here. You really have been a complete embarrassment to yourself.
All this derogatory behavior and mudslinging from you, which has been most of your response in this thread, and you have the nerve to keep calling others an embarrassment. I think the reality is you're simply embarrassed, exposure will do that. And that's because best evidence for "console wars turf" here is probably how we each voted.

And no "PS Classics" are not on PS4. That's not poorly informed, it's not twisting behond recognition, it's a simple statement of fact. Much like Sony being the worst at preservation today.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
The only thing more bizarre about people voting for Sony is that they were included in the poll at all.

Honestly you could go a step further and say the only thing bizarre is the poll being there period. Microsoft is so far ahead of Nintendo and Sony that "who does it best" isn't even a real question.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this even really a comparison? Microsoft is far and away the best at this. The better question is who's the best between Nintendo and Sony and, in that regard, I'd say Nintendo would be slightly better, pretty much only because of the NES games and actually nailing their Mini Consoles, but, even then, they need to really step their game up and include digital purchases of their older classic titles

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft are obviously smashing it.

Nintendo are usually pretty good at rereleasing older popular titles as well but so far this gen it's been a little lackluster.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Microsoft: 9/10 - The only thing I'd like to see improvement on is having even more titles available, but I understand that this isn't entirely Microsoft's fault. I'd also love to see Dreamcast support at some point, but I'm not holding my breath for that. XD
Nintendo: 7/10 - Nintendo at least seems to put a lot of effort into the re-releases it *does* bother with. I'm not super-fond of Nintendo Switch Online, but it's functional and costs very little. Plus, the Classic Edition consoles are well-made, and I can still access a lot of older games on 3DS and Wii U. I wish they'd bring that sort of effort forward to Switch, though.
Sony: 5/10 - Sony used to be incredible in this regard. I don't own a PlayStation 4, but my PlayStation 3 will remain connected to my TV until there's a better alternative for playing my digital PlayStation (1) titles. While I do like the fact that we occasionally see re-releases of older games, I hate the fact that they're not free if you already own the original, and the emulation is pretty shoddy.

By the way, one thing I'll say about Microsoft's approach is that it does a much better job of recreating the experience that you remember. It's sort of the argument that people have had about the PlayStation Classic actually hurting people's perception of the games they used to play by making them worse. On the other hand, with Xbox One (X especially), you get better performance than you originally had, as well as a higher resolution with X. I think you stand a better chance of enjoying those old games, because they hold up better as good as (or better) you believed they did, albeit maybe with slightly weirder controls.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only areas of improvement I could see for Microsoft is to figure a way to make Dreamcast games BC or create some sort of "Microsoft Classics Emulator" that third party companies could release their games on with standard emulator things, like save states and "Game Genie" cheat implementation. Basically, make a way for Sega and other third party companies to sell old Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast games.

Or...they just need to buy Sega and figure a way to make their entire back catalog BC. Throw it on Game Pass and I'll subscribe to it, for sure.