• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Used to buy the VHS, soo expensive, but sooo good. My favourite Sci-Fi series to date.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seasons 9 and 10 were basically a different show. They weren't bad they just felt odd as a continuation of SG-1

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Seasons 9 and 10 were basically a different show. They weren't bad they just felt odd as a continuation of SG-1

That's exactly the point. In fact, after the Jaffe were liberated, it was strange to see them fall back into the same trap with the Ori. Besides, without O'neil and Hammond, it wasn't the same. And my God, the CGI with the dragon was so horrible that I still shiver at night. But well, some episodes were not bad and it's always a guilty pleasure to watch them.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I tried to get into the original Stargate a few times and never could. Not sure why. I totally loved Stargate Atlantis though, and watched the entire run twice. That has the team chemistry, a lot of humor (that ep when they were protecting the young princess in the forest, lol), and good stories. Bonus: it's a lot shorter than original Stargate so it's less of a time commitment. Then there was Stargate Universe, which was too claustrophobic and low budget, but Robert Carlyle was good and the show was heading to something very interesting when it was cancelled.

I'd highly recommend Battlestar Galactica too. That was incredible.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It's a great military adventure series with fun characters and a good cast with "problem of the week" episodes that sometimes weave into the larger season arc. On PS Vue, they've got a channel called Comet where they run episodes of SG-1 and I've had fun watching it again.

It was one of my favorite sci-fi shows and the fact that we got 8 good seasons out of it is amazing. Atlantis is okay and has its moments, but the cast never really gels into a true ensemble like SG-1, and it pretty much becomes the Rodney McKay Show later on. I only saw a few episodes of Universe and bailed out since Great Value BSG isn't my cup of tea.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This. Even when it isn't at its greatest innlater seasons, the character chemistry is still great.

Rodney McKay which Movie ties it up? Continuum? That's the only one i Remember
Ark of Truth is the conclusion to the Ori storyline. Continuum is the Baal time travel one.
I didn't know this until I just looked it up, but I guess there was suppose to be a third one, but it was scrapped when the series was cancelled.

Edit: Also, why doesn't a streaming service buy the Stargate license?!
Hulu has all the show episodes of SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe, but they seem to be missing those two movies.
Amazon Prime seems to have SG-1, Atlantis, and the Ark of Truth movie available on Prime streaming, but looks like it's missing Universe and the Continuum movie.

Whatever company owns Stargate TRIED to make a Stargate exclusive streaming servicea while back that launched with that crappy Stargate Origins mini-series (I never even watched it, just heard it was bad), but I'm guessing that did NOT do well for them since all 3 series are still on Hulu and everything but Universe is on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you like Window of Opportunity make sure to check out Dark Matter the killed too soon series by that episode's writer that included a tribute time loop episode in the final season.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this until I just looked it up, but I guess there was suppose to be a third one, but it was scrapped when the series was cancelled.
Yeah Stargate Revolution would have centered on Jack and the public reveal of the Stargate program.

(It was supposed to take place after Continuum and before Universe, but I guess it didn't happen off-screen after all since the Stargate program isn't public in Universe.)

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
The first season was on Showtime and the first episode had some pretty graphic nudity. If that scene is even in the later cuts, don't let it fool you, the rest of the shows are good family fun.

Well, till Universe with all the grimdark and the Lt with the huge...tracts of land. Everyone was a jerk on that show.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first season was on Showtime and the first episode had some pretty graphic nudity. If that scene is even in the later cuts, don't let it fool you, the rest of the shows are good family fun.

Well, till Universe with all the grimdark and the Lt with the huge...tracts of land. Everyone was a jerk on that show.
The first two episodes were actually re-cut as a TV movie later, without the nudity and with a bunch of small changes.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
which has more uses, stargate naquadah or the deflector dish from star trek?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really the only reason there hasn't been more or that it fell off so hard is that it went over to SciFi (now *shudders* SyFy) right on the cusp of when they realized "hey if we make a bunch of SUPER cheap garbage but market the shit out of it we'll turn a small but consistent profit" so Stargate's budget got gutted and they stopped funding any new projects.

Shame, I think a new show with the tone of SG1/Atlantis would do very well today. Hell Seth McFarlane's Trek rip-off has way more in common in tone to SG1 than it does with Trek in some spots.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ark of Truth is the conclusion to the Ori storyline. Continuum is the Baal time travel one.

Hulu has all the show episodes of SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe, but they seem to be missing those two movies.
Amazon Prime seems to have SG-1, Atlantis, and the Ark of Truth movie available on Prime streaming, but looks like it's missing Universe and the Continuum movie.

Whatever company owns Stargate TRIED to make a Stargate exclusive streaming servicea while back that launched with that crappy Stargate Origins mini-series (I never even watched it, just heard it was bad), but I'm guessing that did NOT do well for them since all 3 series are still on Hulu and everything but Universe is on Amazon Prime.
I'm super pissed we will never get Stargate Revolution (a final O'Neill story and the public reveal of the Stargate), though it would fundamentally change the "their Earth is our Earth" aspect.

VRV has all of Stargate IIRC.

As for Origins... it was eh. Pointless, annoying, retconned some stupid shit (a Goa'uld wanting revenge on Ra is who planted the idea for the Stargate Program in Catherine's mind). It shouldn't have existed.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Origins makes sense when you frame it in the minds of the creatives using it as basically a long, deliriously stupid pitch for a new movie to kickstart a "Stargate universe" which... we already had and it was great and nobody does literally anything with but try and reboot or relaunch a new movie every 3-4 years.

Atlantis basically having to completely overhaul the entire show and losing the majority of it's cast and crew while getting a wet fart of an ending thanks to the network change is really the biggest tragedy of the series though. Shame we never got Extinction, it probably would have been good.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Really the only reason there hasn't been more or that it fell off so hard is that it went over to SciFi (now *shudders* SyFy) right on the cusp of when they realized "hey if we make a bunch of SUPER cheap garbage but market the shit out of it we'll turn a small but consistent profit" so Stargate's budget got gutted and they stopped funding any new projects.

Shame, I think a new show with the tone of SG1/Atlantis would do very well today. Hell Seth McFarlane's Trek rip-off has way more in common in tone to SG1 than it does with Trek in some spots.
Stargate Universe would have been awesome as a new proptery but tying it to the Stargate Franchise made it everything they made fun of in the show. Canada is the only pumping out lite genre shows. Conituum, Lost Girl, Dark Matter, The Kiljoys, etc. I wish we were back in the good old 00 days of syndication. Earth Final Conflict, Andromeda, Time Trax, etc

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Origins would have been redeemed if Colonel Mitchell was lurking in the bushes waiting to board the Achilles.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
It's amazing how most planets look like rural Vancouver.

Also, it's great.

One of the reasons why I just out and out hated it.Watched a few episodes and it never really took itself seriously and was just sort of a bore as we go to the 20th planet in a row that looks like Vancouver. It seemed to be back in the day to be like what fanfic writers would make if they made a sci-fi tv show. Just way too silly and out there with no real consistent rules in the universe (granted my impression from a handful of episodes) I'd be curious to be give it another chance. Surprised it gets so much love.