• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The crossover stuff between sg1 and Atlantis is good.

The episodes or character appearances or just how they might find some zpm power sources on Atlantis and they give them to earth which affect the episodes SG1

Or how new earth ships from SG1 show up on Atlantis to assist with whatever

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Seasons 1 and 2 are very hit or miss. 3-7 are really really good, 8-10 are a step down but still solid.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
It starts off really episodic despite having an overall story arc, then it starts to follow that story and build an entire mythos around it. It has some GOAT episodes every now and again, So I heartily recommend it.

It does get a bit weird at the end because there are two movies after season 10 that you need to watch (one wraps up the main story arc and the other deals with a sort of loose end).

Fantastic show.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I actually liked Stargate SG-1 over myself. It wasn't a show I went out of my way to watch but I wouldn't change the channel when it was on.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
They filmed it in widescreen from day one which is crazy considering it debuted in 1997.

Stargate is easily my favorite gate.

It has a good of seriousness and not taking itself too seriously. Also Simpsons references galore.

Mmmm Goa'uld TV.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found it on the verge of being too campy for my tastes, but still charming and enjoyable. Definitely worth trying out.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
You wont' be disappointed, it's a fun show. The cast chemistry is really strong. RDA is a treasure in this show.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Season 1 is really rough, it feels so old. Just like TNG, it gets better with Season 2 and forward.

It's probably top 5 Science Fiction television of all time.

The episode where O'Neill is stuck in a time loop is the best.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hard to get into it, is it a sequel/prequel to a movie/tv show? I watched the first episode and i felt so lost, like i jumped in the middle of the season of a show i never watched before.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So what do the resetera tastemakers think of Stargate SG-1? I notice all the seasons are on amazon prime right now and I'm considering giving it a try. It seems like a really successful show that kind of flew under the radar.

As a point of reference - I enjoy the star trek universe with DS9 being my favorite sci-fi series. Also, I think the old Stargate movie was kinda fun.

Season 1 is a slow start, but it builds a universe like nobody's business. Episodes from the latter half of the series will reference stuff that happened in the early seasons.

There is a change in tone with Season 8 (show was originally supposed to end after Season 7), though it gets more of the old feel back with the semi-reboot via new team members in Season 9 and 10.

Well worth watching from start to finish.

My fave episode? Window of Opportunity (S4E6)

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Kinda hard to get into it, is it a sequel/prequel to a movie/tv show? I watched the first episode and i felt so lost, like i jumped in the middle of the season of a show i never watched before.

The first episode of the TV show is a direct sequel to the Stargate theatrical film. The characters in the movie are meant to be the same characters in the series. There are a few fourth-wall jokes about it (like the spelling of O'Neill, as the movie version only had one l).

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first couple of seasons and wasn't gripped. It's very sci-fi lite, undemanding and occasionally entertaining.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
It's a relaxed, fun sci-fi show. Only when I realized that any team not that of our heroes was mere fodder to showcase this week's alien infection, that took the wind out of the sails for me. I don't mind a little bit formulaic, but oof. Once I noticed, I grew a bit cynical. Nonetheless, as a sci-fi fan it is a show absolutely worth watching.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Stargate is a lot of fun, I think you'll enjoy it! Echoing a lot of the sentiments here, but the US Military setting and Egyptian imagery gives it a unique aesthetic amongst Sci-Fi television. Writing varies as with all TV of its era, but when it's good, oh man is it good! Window of Opportunity might be the best bottle episode ever. Solid character dynamics, excellent casting, and a solid 8 year run for SG-1. Seasons 9 and 10 were originally supposed to be a different show, so I treat them as such; it makes O'Neill's absence hurt less. I really, really enjoyed Atlantis. Can't say I particularly care for Universe, but I haven't seen enough to be a fair judge.

It's a show that will always be special to me because my family all loves it, and I grew up in Colorado Springs, so it was fun cracking jokes about Stargate Command being in my backyard.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_otwsyewaJw1r1hg2mo3_r1_540.gif

I really like how it can easily make fun of itself, but also be serious when needed

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First season was actual crap (if it first aired nowadays the series would have been cancelled fast).

Thankfully the dozen other seasons (as well as spinoff shows) are all fantastic, including Stargate Universe which tried to change up the formula.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Stargate is fun, but there's a reason why Universe was hated as much as it was.

Stargate bred into people the idea that sci-fi is explosions and funny looking aliens. So along comes Universe, which had some legit sci-fi and then some legit fucking sci-fi, and people lost their minds.

Hell, the majority of hardcore fans hated 200, an episode revolving around what a silly show Stargate even is. Stargate was never a deep show, nor was it supposed to be. Universe had depth, and so it was reviled.

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
SG-1, Babylon 5 and TNG are great sci-fi, they all have a flaw of starting great, having strong mid series but ultimately ending on whimpers but SG-1, and Babylon 5 are stellar rides with some very creative ideas in certain episodes.

I'd also recommend Farscape if you haven't seen it but definitely watch SG-1 and don't watch Atlantis until after season 5 if you want to view it.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think SG-1 is the longest running American SciFi show? and for good reason. It sometimes faltered, but SG-1, Atlantis and Universe are all fantastic and full of crazy ideas.

It's the American Doctor Who, where every journey through this fantastic device can be as crazy as the writers desired.

I would love a new Stargate TV show. (not you, origins)

Deleted member 29806

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
It was not bad, but it never really got me

Richard Dean Anderson always just plays the class clown, taking the impact out of lots of stuff
Amanda Tapping often feels so whiny to me, got better later
Michael Shanks took seasons to not look like a poor man's James Spader

Also facing undefeatable threats all the time which suddenly become defeatable a few episodes later gets a little old. That got worse with late seasons.

So the middle seasons were best.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It's fine.

The characters are likeable but the rest always felt underwhelming to me. It's a cheesy sci-fy show who didn't take much risks but was easy to digest as a consequence.

It's fun to watch but not a "great" show.

And the stupidity of everyone speaking english even in a different galaxy always bothered me. I mean, in Atlantis, the crew from earth have more difficulty to talk to each other because of languages than with the natives. It's dumb as fuck.

The different "human civilisations" they find in space are stupid too. Most of them are carbon copies of earth ones : feudal japan, medieval europe, friggin amish people, etc etc. Finding egyptian based humans felt ok because the whole basis of the series is that humans where enslaved by aliens at that time until they buried the stargate to stop the aliens coming in. But finding stuff based on cultures that didn't even exist at the time the gate was buried always felt stupid to me (fucking amishs !!!!!).

In the end, i always prefered Farscape to Stargate at the time. It's much more creative and unhinged than SG-1. With a bit more though put into sustaining my suspenstion of disbelief. It's harder to get into but more rewarding in the end i think.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
SG-1 is one of my favourite shows, absolutely love it. The series found it's flow after the first season and it was good how Earth constantly learned from previous alien invasions and changed their tactics, technology, etc.

The biggest obstacle is in the first episode with that TERRIBLE line uttered by Amanda Tapping, she never lived it down :)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It should have transitioned to Atlantis after the replicators, the Ori was ooooooooooooooo blah

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the end, i always prefered Farscape to Stargate at the time. It's much more creative and unhinged than SG-1. With a bit more though put into sustaining my suspenstion of disbelief. It's harder to get into but more rewarding in the end i think.

Then Ben Browder and Claudia Black show up in Stargate and the whole thing basically goes to shit.

Stargate was a pretty fantastic show up until then, though. I loved the continuity it had and how Atlantis actually made the universe feel bigger rather than detracting from the original show. That and the casting was spot on for both shows - Christopher Judge and Jason Momoa really played the "heavy" of their groups well and I loved how Joe Flanigan didn't just play his own version of O'Neill but someone that was amiable and charming but actually much more cold and ruthless when he needed to be.

Kinda wish Michael Shanks didn't die like a dozen times throughout the show, though. It got a little silly after a while.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
SG-1 and Atlantis are great fun shows and once you get into the characters it makes it even better, probably my favorite Scifi. I've been feeling a re-watch for a while myself.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stargate is fun, but there's a reason why Universe was hated as much as it was.

Stargate bred into people the idea that sci-fi is explosions and funny looking aliens. So along comes Universe, which had some legit sci-fi and then some legit fucking sci-fi, and people lost their minds.

Hell, the majority of hardcore fans hated 200, an episode revolving around what a silly show Stargate even is. Stargate was never a deep show, nor was it supposed to be. Universe had depth, and so it was reviled.

Universe was the misguided attempt to take the concepts of Star Trek Voyager and the Battlestar Galactica reboot, squish them together and make a gritty and serious show. It somehow managed to be both pretentious and shallow, even going so far as to cast David Blue in what I must assume is what the showrunners thought most of their viewership was - unemployed gamers who live in their mother's basement - because he'd be "the relatable one".

How do you even make a show with a premise like Louis Ferreira and Robert Carlyle butting heads over leadership of a crew of people stuck on a ship they can't control that's going the wrong way and screw it up that badly?

It wasn't too high brow for Stargate fans. It was derivative as hell and tried cashing in on other franchise's success rather than Stargate's own and by the time the show finally found its footing in the second season it was too late.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Then Ben Browder and Claudia Black show up in Stargate and the whole thing basically goes to shit.

Stargate was a pretty fantastic show up until then, though. I loved the continuity it had and how Atlantis actually made the universe feel bigger rather than detracting from the original show. That and the casting was spot on for both shows - Christopher Judge and Jason Momoa really played the "heavy" of their groups well and I loved how Joe Flanigan didn't just play his own version of O'Neill but someone that was amiable and charming but actually much more cold and ruthless when he needed to be.

Kinda wish Michael Shanks didn't die like a dozen times throughout the show, though. It got a little silly after a while.
One thing I don't really get is how Anderson and Flanigan were just so fucking good in the pilots and then they just settled into sort of a complacent, docile tone?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 seasons of good shit.

Starts a little dry and ends 2 seasons too late but it never got bad and the peak during 2-7 Is some of the best TV sci-fi ever.

Deleted member 28307

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
SG-1 and Atlantis are great, first season is harsh apart from 5 or 6 episodes, but it really picks up, all characters are great not just the main cast

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Time" and "Epilogue" from Universe are better than anything in Atlantis

Atlantis wasted too many of its good characters like Weir, Beckett, etc.

melichrous

Self-requested temporary ban
Dec 9, 2017
SG-1 and Atlantis are easily in my top 6 sci-fi shows.
As others have said, it's a tad campy, and SG-1 definitely starts off a little rough, but it's worth slogging through it to get to the middle 3-7 seasons.
I really liked the aesthetic of Atlantis, so that probably gets it more of a pass from me, too.
Universe started off even rougher, and it sucks that it got canned just as it seemed to be sorting its shit out.
I'm definitely due a rewatch around now!

Only other shows in that list would be Farscape, and Star Treks TNG, Voyager and DS9.
I'll also say that star Trek discovery was good, and I'm definitely looking forward to that continuing.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Universe got into some really interesting shit with the Common Descent storyline and the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation message, but we will never get an answer now.