• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The Souls series is usually mentioned as a top tier example of this, so for those who have either finished or progressed pretty far (and generally enjoy environmental storytelling) how does Sekiro rank compared to the other modern From Software titles?

Is there something that surpasses the iosefka clinic ladder in Bloodborne

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Almost non existent. It's basically boss after boss after boss.

Sekiro_141.jpg

Not as extreme as this comment, but from the first areas of the game, theres a decent amount. Especially if you look out for it. Also bosses are part of the from soft experience, I'm not gonna lie.

MiguelBañón

Oct 30, 2017
Spain
I can guess there's something similar related with the locked fake wall that's near by the shrine, but besides that I haven't found nothing more so far. I've just started the game tho.

Oct 25, 2017
It's there, but it's less pronounced. It's certainly not boss after boss though, it takes ahwile before you'll fight your first one.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Almost non existent. It's basically boss after boss after boss.
???

There's a ton. Senpou Temple is by far my favourite so far, where the way the enemies are laid out and introduced, I was sneak killing them all and starting to wonder if they were maybe non-hostile, and then once they started fighting back, maybe blind, before seeing a bunch of

dead kids hog-tied and littered around the place, tucked away in corners

along with all the windwheels and chanting. One of the best areas they've ever done imo.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
There's a fair amount of subtle hints on what has occurred like
the hidden bodies around the temple

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About on par with previous games.

The storytelling and worldvbuilding is also built properly through dialogue and cutscenes as well. No more having to piece together obscure item descriptions, which I very much appreciate.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
Well, you meet some horrifyingly creepy enemies

Like actual, in-game spoilers
like the giant ape you behead that magically comes back to life. Twice, and also calls its mate to assist in making you shit your pants in undeath the second time.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
???

There's a ton. Senpou Temple is by far my favourite so far, where the way the enemies are laid out and introduced, I was sneak killing them all and starting to wonder if they were maybe non-hostile, and then once they started fighting back, maybe blind, before seeing a bunch of

along with all the windwheels and chanting. One of the best areas they've ever done imo.
Yeah Senpou Temple is one of my favorite areas in any FromSoft game. It somehow manages to pull off a perfect balance of tranquil beauty and horror. It's outstanding.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's there, but as much as I try I can never find these by myself. Once I finish the game and start reading up on the story and stuff I'll know sure. Right now though it does feel less prominent than bloodborne or DS1

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
how many hours of youtube content can vattividya produced from a single misplaced texture on the wall? Can't wait for find out!

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
???

Yeah this area really turned me around on many aspects of the game.
That was the point where they really started winning me over.
Just gorgeous to look at. Super fun to explore. And you learn so much about the world just by looking at the enemies and examining their behaviour.

Oct 27, 2017
There is less environmental storytelling, but more interactive storytelling. I mean, you can hear what soldiers think about the events of the game, you can experience changing events with soldiers moving along with you as you defeat the fire bull for example and they opening the door to the castle because they feel safe. Also,
during the ending part of the game you can pratically see a real time struggle and invasion between two opposing forces a bit like Farron Legion soldiers killing themselves over and over.

This is not a forsaken land where everyone is either already dead, hollow or crazy, it's very much a living world. But even then when you will arrive at one point of the game you will have strong hints about how the Curse was spread and its effect on people. But you need to connect the dots in typical Miyazaki storytelling.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The storytelling is far less minimalistic in Sekiro. There is some environmental storytelling but not to the extent in other FS games. The story is very straightforward and doesn't require you to do much legwork to piece it together as it drip feeds tid-bits to you throughout and there are also the red mist story apparitions that fill in details around characters.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's not dominant, it's subtle and definitely there. You have much more NPC interaction, and cutscenes than in previous games (which is still not much by today's standards; there is no 2 minute cutscene around every corner).

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Sekiro is actually telling a story as opposed to inferring one. Not saying one way is better than another it's just different.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Well, you meet some horrifyingly creepy enemies

Like actual, in-game spoilers
like the giant ape you behead that magically comes back to life. Twice, and also calls its mate to assist in making you shit your pants in undeath the second time.

Just an fyi for ya.

If you have the mortal blade already when you fight him then you can kill him for good during his second phase. I had no idea you could fight his mate in a rematch.

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
I like the more traditional story telling in Sekiro. The style of story telling from the souls games always made feel I missed out because I wasn't smart enough.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I like the more traditional story telling in Sekiro. The style of story telling from the souls games always made feel I missed out because I wasn't smart enough.
Yea I totally get what you mean. I'm pretty far into DS3, and after some dozens of hours I took my time to reflect on what has actually happened so far plot-wise, and what I came up with was: Nothing. I woke up as an undead in a apocalyptic land, went to slay my way through some dark areas with creepy enemies, beat a boss, went to the next area, rinse and repeat. You occasionally get some abstract text snippets like in item descriptions that add a tiny bit of flair, but that's it. If there is any story in DS3 I haven't noticed it, after 45 hours in the game or so. If Sekiro adds some actual plot, this is highly appreciated.