• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 19, 2018
While I already own the Switch version for occasional single-play sessions, I was thinking of picking up the game on Steam for some online competitive play. Can anyone comment if the netcode is any good, and if the PC player base is at all healthy?

I'm kinda expecting answers of 'no' on both fronts, and if so, it'll ultimately be a wash -- but I just want to make sure before I drop the cash on a purchase.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's dead, especially on PC. You'll find more people on GGPO.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This collection sold a million copies and the online's dead everywhere. A perfect example why crossplatform online play needs to be the standard.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It just wasn't a very good online experience and Capcom abandoned it instead of paying the developer to continually improve it to the standard it needed to be.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
I get some games in on the Xbox One version but it's mostly 3S and some ST. PS4 version also having a hard time finding players.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Can you get the roms from them? If so buy the game, rip the roms, launch Fightcade instead

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Netcode was actually pretty solid, but I doubt the community is very healthy especially on PC where Fightcade exists.

DMA99

Feb 18, 2018
Funny - I have the switch version and just jumped back in this AM. Searched for a match in HF, 3S, and ST for 10 minutes - found nothing :(

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It's dead on all platforms. It was fun while it lasted.

Crossplay is desperately needed for anything that sells less than like 5 million copies.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Please devs for the love of god make crossplay a thing going forwards. Yeah it's died very quickly sadly, I checked a couple months ago and only found two players who were mad laggy.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I bought it on switch at launch and found it hard to find matches. Thought it must have been a Nintendo thing so I bought it on PS4 and had the same result, but worse :(

Faboo

Banned
Sep 18, 2018
Tried playing SF3 tonight on Switch at 8pm GMT, had a few good games but kept running into the same players. I want to get better so I'm gonna keep trying!

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
It's the best way to play SF3 online on PC, but it's also dead as hell lol

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Ahh, that's disappointing but not unexpected. =/ Guess I will start exploring Fightcade then.

I'm noticing there's a 'Fightcade' and a 'Fightcade 2' client. Is there a difference between the two?

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I get matches on Switch with reasonable frequency. PS4 less so. A shame since Switch matches tend to be less stable due to fewer wired connections.

I'd imagine PC players just use FightCade instead.

I wish the game allowed you to queue for matches across multiple games/modes simultaneously as well as supporting cross platform multiplayer. As it is the player base is split across four platforms and those are split further across four games then further still between Ranked, Casual and lobbies. It's a shame.

Still love the collection though.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I was never particularly happy with it sadly, most matches on Switch were laggy which especially irritated as game music+sound are tied to frame rate, making it all rather unpleasant.

Funny thing is I was shocked to see Ultra Street Fighter 2 on Switch is still reasonably active, at least more than you'd expect. I still fire it up every once in a while on training mode w/fight request on. Just be prepared for some flowcharty Kens + violent Kens...

Also, unrelated but why in god's name are there not PPP and KKK inputs D:

I wish the game allowed you to queue for matches across multiple games/modes simultaneously as well as supporting cross platform multiplayer. As it is the player base is split across four platforms and those are split further across four games then further still between Ranked, Casual and lobbies. It's a shame.

Yeah this is the big problem aside from latency, the online's segregated into way too many different mods, diluting what small playerbase is already there

From recent play, 3S seems to be the most active on Switch, though even then it'll vary.

This collection sold a million copies and the online's dead everywhere. A perfect example why crossplatform online play needs to be the standard.

^ x9999999

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Can you get the roms from them? If so buy the game, rip the roms, launch Fightcade instead
Doesn't appear to be a way to do this with the Capcom collections sadly. Or at least I've seen no evidence anyone has found a way to extract them. it devalues these collections in my eyes in comparison to those SNK and Sega PC releases that do give you access to the roms.

claytonlee101

Oct 27, 2017
I bought 30th collection to support Capcom in porting an official version of 3S and use it mainly for the training mode while I play on Fightcade regularly. There are 3s groups to join to find online matches but FC is much more convenient.
You want the original Fightcade client and NOT Fightcade 2.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to play Third Strike it's fightcade > online edition >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 30th collection

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why fighting games weren't the first ones to embrace cross play I do not know.
Hell are any fighting games cross play?
Killer Instinct maybe?
Can SF5 PC and PS4 play together?

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The PC player pool is tiny, you'll bump into a few hardcore regulars but it's not healthy in the slightest. Better numbers on consoles for sure.

The net code is pretty solid.

Crossplay needs to be there for the next collection and someone who knows how to design a proper UI

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Thats good to hear.
From now on every fighting game needs to be cross play.
And have good netcode.
There is no excuse anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
How much would crossplay help if there are no players on either platform?

The issue is that there are only a given amount of fighting game fans and there are too many games to choose from, so everyone will gravitate to the handful that might actually have someone else online rather than sit waiting in one of the thousands of abandoned games.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Why fighting games weren't the first ones to embrace cross play I do not know.
Hell are any fighting games cross play?
Killer Instinct maybe?
Can SF5 PC and PS4 play together?
Killer instinct
MvCi with Xbox and windows store version
SFV
Fantasy Strike, but only switch and PC, and PS4 and PC
Power Rangers, PC and Xbox and Switch