• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
News: HQ is ceasing operations today, CNN Business has learned. The company behind the once popular game @hqtrivia is no more https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/media/hq-trivia-shut-down/index.html

twitter.com

Kerry Flynn 🐶 on Twitter

“News: HQ is ceasing operations today, CNN Business has learned. The company behind the once popular game @hqtrivia is no more https://t.co/xmVWdVIFv7”

——————

Wow I remember when this blew up a few years ago.
Not terribly surprising but it was a really neat idea.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awww, I'm a little sad even though I haven't played it since like 6 mo after it came out.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I knew it was waaaaay less popular but I thought it was still enough to get by. This makes me really sad, I still played occasionally.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1vs 100, hq trivia, the uk one the name of which I forgot. all the fun interactive quiz games seem to die before too long :(

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Weird... I was *just* thinking about this a couple days ago, wondering what ever happened to it but not bothering to actually look into it. LOL We played it a little bit. Cool idea that was frickin' HUGE for a while there.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It was fun while it lasted. I made a lot of money during the mobile trivia boom. 2018 was insane.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
iirc the owner of HQ was an over controlling dick or sommit

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Bring back 1 vs 100, you cowards!

...I say to no one in particular.

Hope Scott can find his footing somewhere, he was a very good host.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It was magic for a bit but got ruined by bots and cheating. The fact it lasted this long as is frankly nothing short of a miracle. I played it again like maybe 8-10 months ago for one game and it was in the tens of thousands of users at that point. They switched to a weekly scoring system and had a pay to win type option of letting you buy continues amongst other things.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Really how much we talking? Always near the end, bit didn't make it there
Between HQ, Quiz Biz, That's Right, and some other games I can't remember, I made a few thousand bucks in 2018. The big money apps died early last year, and I haven't played much since.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018
www.cnn.com

Game over for HQ Trivia

HQ Trivia is no more. Despite the HQ's ability to entertain millions of smartphone owners per day, the company struggled to retain that attention and faced other internal turmoil.

When HQ launched in 2017, its first game HQ Trivia quickly attracted millions of peopleacross the world who stopped whatever they were doing twice a day to play the game on their smartphones. The company was profiled by The New York Times and its original host Scott Rogowsky became a household name, appearing on programs like NBC's "Today" show.

But over the next year, the game's popularity faded and its parent company was hit with a series of setbacks. The company grappled with internal turmoil, including the death of HQ cofounder Colin Kroll, who died in December 2018 from a drug overdose.

CEO Rus Yusupov said in a company-wide email on Friday that "lead investors are no longer willing to fund the company, and so effective today, HQ will cease operations and move to dissolution."

Spam my social media asking for an extra life if old.

(EDIT: it's in Gaming? wat)

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like they truly did copy 1 vs 100 on 360. Right down to being cancelled

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I've kinda fell off this but my SO plays everyday. Play with her every now and then if I find the topic interesting.
She's gonna be bummed.

I do like the idea of appointment gaming. was one of the cooler ideas since 1 vs 100.

Maybe someone will try to fill the void.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just cashed my 42 cents, hopefully it goes through. It was neat while it lasted though the business model was clearly unsustainable

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was fun for about a week. Ended up just being a fad. Hopefully those laid off got severance.