• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
With a significant lack of both beach and partying!

(More accurate description - Hsu and Chan wittily ruminate on the major announcements of E3 2018.)

Anyhoo...I just thought I'd take the occasion of this video release to bring up the fact that Hsu and Chan, the game developer duo from the pages of Electronic Gaming Monthly (and later 1UP.com), deftly drawn by Jeremy "Norm" Scott, are still around! Norm's been releasing new comic strips, animated videos, and other miscellany semi-regularly via various venues, including actual comic books, his website, YouTube, and most recently, Patreon. Whether you're an old fan or are just in the market for some seriously zany gaming humour, check 'em out!

hsuandchan04niipq.jpg

Norm's Twitter

Last edited:

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, nice! I actually picked up the comics many years back. I'm not a huge video fan (and the voices are nothing like I imagined) but it's good to see them still going.

Mister Saturn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Amongst my friends and I, "Saga Frontier (it's long!!!)" remains an active joke descriptor of games that overstay their welcome. Glad to hear the comic is still around.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Hsu and Chan is a comic I haven't thought about in years. That's crazy. I will probably sub to the patreon.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
My God, there's a new(-ish) Hsu & Chan? And it's mildly animated? And they've been around for awhile? Hsu & Chan were a considerable part of my childhood!

Might have to sub inn Patreon...

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I like how, despite the passage of time & the new medium they're in, this feels distinctly like the old comics.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is a blast from the past! I always loved turning to the back to see what the new Hsu and Chan.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Always glad to see Norm making more comics. He definitely hasn't lost his touch!

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How did I miss this thread? I read a ton of EGM back in the day, and really enjoyed the Hsu and Chan comic.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Missed the EGM days..

sure news were slow and late and many times based on 'hearsay' but the way the news were being reported had alot of personality.

Lugnutal

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Wow...I had forgotten about these guys...EGM was my jam back in the day. Me and my best friend would argue over which was better...EGM or GamePro...good times!!!

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
wait....hsu and chan is back? What is this? EGM/1UP? Am i living in the early 2000s Dreamcast/PS2 launch era?

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Holy shit, what a throwback.

When I was in high school in the mid nineties, I found Dan Hsu on AOL. I sent him an IM and we chatted for a few minutes. He was pretty friendly and I felt like I was talking to a celebrity. It was super cool.

I really miss those days. Miss 1up, too.

Hope they're doing well. I need to check out Jeremy's work on the comic.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I'll need to check those new comics out; I'm so happy to see Norm still making good work with these guys! The Hsu & Chan videos are amazing, too.