• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
19th March 2018 Update:
It cost $799 for the HMD-only upgrade
https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/03/19...re-orders-start-today-price-vive-reduced-499/

Current Vive price drop to $499 (includes Fallout 4 VR)

Original:
HTC has just formally announced the new HTC Vive Pro and Wireless Vive Adapter at their CES 2018 press conference.

Press release
https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/01/08...r-new-vive-pro-upgrade-wireless-vive-adaptor/

Product Page
https://www.vive.com/us/product/vive-pro/

Some photos from the conference
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/08/htc-vive-ces-2018-press-event/

ozVS2Bk.jpg

HTC Vive Pro:
  • higher screen resolution (78% pixel increase, 37% ppi increase)
  • integrated audio speaker (3D audio), with build in amplifier
  • lighter weight, enhanced ergonomics and comfort
  • dual microphones with active noise cancellation (as well as enabling Alert Mode and Conversation Mode)
  • dual front facing passthrough cameras to 'empower developer creativity'
  • HMD only upgrade option is also available (for current Vive owners who just want HMD upgrade) somewhere this quarter
  • Full package coming later this year (will ship with 2.0 base stations and controllers, no idea if it is existing Vive Wand or new type of controllers)
  • compatible with up to 4 lighthouse base stations (also compatible with current 1.0 and future 2.0 version)
  • the Audio strap on Vive Pro is different from current Deluxe Audio Strap
  • integrated volume buttons on back left headphone for quicker and manual adjustment
  • knob mechanism (for lens-to-eyes distance adjustment) is replaced by a single button
  • redesigned face cushion (new cloth-lined foam) and nose pad block even more light
Specs:
Screen: Dual AMOLED 3.5" diagonal
Resolution: 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined)
Refresh rate: 90 Hz
Field of view: 110 degrees
Audio: Hi-Res certificate headset
Hi-Res certificate headphone (removable)
High impedance headphone support
Input: Integrated microphones
Connections: USB-C 3.0, DP 1.2, Bluetooth
Sensors: SteamVR Tracking, G-sensor, gyroscope, proximity, IPD sensor
Ergonomics: Eye relief with lens distance adjustment
Adjustable IPD
Adjustable headphone
Adjustable headstrap

Comparison of Vive (w/Deluxe Audio Strap) and Vive Pro
U3iq5lY.jpg

Vive-Wireless-Adaptor1-1024x724.jpg

Vive Wireless Adapter
  • Summer launch (Q3)
  • Compatible with both Vive & Vive Pro
  • Intel's WiGig Technology
  • 60Ghz band
  • handheld sized

Last edited:

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
NICE

Glad I held off, as long as the wireless adapter is solid this may be time for me to jump into VR.

OrionsNebula

Oct 25, 2017
also HMD only upgrade option

Thank god! This is definitely the right decision. I'm very excited for this.
Also, I hope the wireless adapter works with the standard vive in case I don't want to upgrade.

Edit: If you look closely at the slide for the wireless adapter it says it works with both vive and vive pro! Perfect!

Oct 30, 2017
Before the picture loaded I thought the thing behind him was the new headset. I was like good god that thing is hu...oh wait.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, too little of an upgrade to feel like 2.0. Obviously wireless and high resolution is big, but hopefully this doesn't mean the next update is 2 more years away.

It's strange that this doesn't come with the knuckles, but I guess the idea is that it sits alongside the original.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, too little of an upgrade to feel like 2.0. Obviously wireless and high resolution is big, but hopefully this doesn't mean the next update is 2 more years away.
The original Vive has only been out for a year, the wireless adapter is a huge deal on it's own because that gets rid of a huge immersion problem VR currently has, at least to me.
Next stop is changing the controllers.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
No mention about pricing makes it pretty clear these won't be available to regular people, sigh.
Oh well, I hope my Oculus will serve me another few years.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Perfect. All in for wireless. Gonna be so good with the Knuckles (hurry up, Valve!)

Is it just an adapter though? It doesn't need a transmitter like the Tpcast?

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I see they took a little inspiration from PSVR. Considering PSVR was the most comfortable and the Vive/Oculus were basically strapped to your face, this is a major upgrade. I might consider getting one for my PC later on.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy. I might not be able to resist upgrading the standalone headset, if it's not toooo expensive.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just an adapter though? It doesn't need a transmitter like the Tpcast?

The boomerang is the transmitter that will hook into the HDMI of the headset somehow. I dunno how is it powered? Looks small, one hour batterylife?

Your PC will need to be able to support the Intel Wigig signal or buy a dongle i guess?

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, so great!

What is the resolution!?

Also looks like there are now two cameras on the front for a stereoscopic view of the outside world!

Hype, hype, hype!!!!!!!!!

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was really hoping for high quality markerless inside out tracking to go with wireless. Not gonna jump in as long as I have to have lighthouses setup around my room.

(edited to clarify I was hoping for markerless inside out tracking)

Last edited:

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, is it actually metallic blue?
Ugh, now I have to buy one.

Was really hoping for inside out tracking to go with wireless. Not gonna jump in as long as I have to have lighthouses setup around my room.
I mean, that's a valid position, but Lighthouse tracking quality is still unmatched, especially for controllers.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I wonder what the HMD only price is. If this is going to be the only major HMD released this year, I might be tempted after all. But I suspect it'll be at least 500 which is too rich for my liking. At the right price, however...

Resolution is 2880 x 1600 OLED versus the original's 1080 x 1200

The original was 2160 X 1200.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love this so much, I have a PSVR and would love to upgrade to this as i started PC gaming this year. Just gotta see if i will have the room for it....

Last edited:

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I wonder what the HMD only price is. If this is going to be the only major HMD released this year, I might be tempted after all. But I suspect it'll be at least 500 which is too rich for my liking. At the right price, however...

The original was 2160 X 1200.

Whoops, yeah. The 1080 X 1200 is per eye.

Oct 25, 2017
So did they mention optics at all? That's a pretty important upgrade too, and is a huge bummer if they're unchanged.

Oct 25, 2017

triple

Banned for use of alt account
Nov 10, 2017
Going to definitely pick this up. My rift weeps in the corner...

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
hmm, hold up, could you possible use 2 HMD within the same playspace? Not necessarily with the same PC (or possible with the same PC), but with the same lighthouses, should work right?

Could be reason to keep the old HMD when going the upgrade path. Cause there's really no way to offload the old HMD, who'd be interested in one...

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
That's really what I expected. It's the Xbox One X / PS4 Pro of VR generations.

Definitely not enough to make me upgrade from my Oculus, but not bad to have the option in the PC space. I wonder if Oculus will also present an incremental upgrade within the next 2 years.