• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
available through Steam for US/CA only

75d96041ce516409a2cd3fb6aba47ff41140491f.jpg

HTC Vive is $599 with the following:
  • Tilt Brush
  • Star Trek Bridge Crew
  • Fallout 4 VR
  • trial to VIVEPORT Subscription
http://steamcommunity.com/games/358040/announcements/detail/1443827715216506157

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to try VR but I dont know wich one between Vive or occulus will go the hdDVD way. I think its best to wait they release a version 2.0 (revision) of their headset (better resolution and wireless).

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up going with the 1070 offer. I should be able to resell the 1070 fairly quickly near $400. So it ended up being a better deal for me personally. Now I'll sell my Oculus and the obscene amount of extension cables, adapters etc I had to get to make it all work right for me. I'm thankful I only paid $300 for it (~$400 once all was said and done with extra cables, camera etc). The Vive is a much easier out of the box experience. And my glasses actually fit instead of using lens inserts. I will miss the controllers though. The touch controllers are pretty awesome, I like them much more than the Vive controllers.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would like to try VR but I dont know wich one between Vive or occulus will go the hdDVD way. I think its best to wait they release a version 2.0 (revision) of their headset (better resolution and wireless).

It doesn't matter, as you can play any game library with ReVive. Its no different from choosing what brand of PC controller to use for PC gaming.

You can follow what I do: buy multiplatform games on Steam, buy Oculus exclusive on Oculus Store.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter, as you can play any game library with ReVive. Its no different from choosing what brand of PC controller to use for PC gaming.

You can follow what I do: buy multiplatform games on Steam, buy Oculus exclusive on Oculus Store.
So if I want to play Re7 VR, Fallout 4 VR, Skyrim VR etc are there exclusive to occulus or vive?

Oct 25, 2017
So if I want to play Re7 VR, Fallout 4 VR, Skyrim VR etc are there exclusive to occulus or vive?
Officially yes, but in reality no; it's very easy to make an Oculus "exclusive" run on Vive, it's just a DLL that needs changing IIRC. It really doesn't amount to more than marketing deals, though in game, the controller may not match what you have.

Once the Knuckles controllers come out, there'll be zero compatibility issues. The only "issues" atm are just comfort related, where a control that's comfortable on the Rift is a bit awkward on the Vive.

Oct 27, 2017
Officially yes, but in reality no; it's very easy to make an Oculus "exclusive" run on Vive, it's just a DLL that needs changing IIRC. It really doesn't amount to more than marketing deals, though in game, the controller may not match what you have.

Once the Knuckles controllers come out, there'll be zero compatibility issues. The only "issues" atm are just comfort related, where a control that's comfortable on the Rift is a bit awkward on the Vive.
Hey Astral/H3X you seems like to know a lot about pc vr, do you got one set? If so wich one and whats your rig? I think its became affordable but still it needs space and maybe my graphics card is outdated.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I ended up going with the 1070 offer. I should be able to resell the 1070 fairly quickly near $400. So it ended up being a better deal for me personally. Now I'll sell my Oculus and the obscene amount of extension cables, adapters etc I had to get to make it all work right for me. I'm thankful I only paid $300 for it (~$400 once all was said and done with extra cables, camera etc). The Vive is a much easier out of the box experience. And my glasses actually fit instead of using lens inserts. I will miss the controllers though. The touch controllers are pretty awesome, I like them much more than the Vive controllers.

Is the card actually a good one if you need a card (I need everything to be honest but since I want fallout vr and a vive I'm strongly considering going for it).

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the card actually a good one if you need a card (I need everything to be honest but since I want fallout vr and a vive I'm strongly considering going for it).

Oh definitely, the 1070 is a really quite a powerful card. The only reason I moved up from it, was because I was able to sell it during the cryptocurrency high point and move up to a 1080ti which was on a great sale. I paid like $150 to go from a 1070 to 1080ti.

Yo where dat VR OT at?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pc...ad-a-new-era-of-gaming.529/page-2#post-163142

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Astral/H3X you seems like to know a lot about pc vr, do you got one set? If so wich one and whats your rig? I think its became affordable but still it needs space and maybe my graphics card is outdated.

Yeah, I've got the Vive, and consider it the best option; currently, the Rift has "better" controllers, in that there's a bit of finger tracking, which works great for grabbing/holding objects in VR. This advantage is a bit situational though -- It only matters in games where you're juggling a lot of different items, and it's mainly a comfort thing more than anything. The Vive still has VASTLY easier set up and tracking, and those are the most important things for VR IMO.
Also, the Knuckles takes the Rift advantages and then leapfrogs them, and hooooo boy am I looking forward to those.
As for my rig, I've done most of my playing with an i5 2500, non-overclocked, and an AMD 390. But any "higher end" mainstream card should be good to go -- Devs don't want to target top of the top end. That being said....

The 1070 is basically considered the card to get for VR. Sure you can go 1080, but 1070 is the "ideal" price value card. Too bad proprietary Gsync nonsense is a heinous offense, or maybe I'd have one.

tyvm

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Because there's absolutely no reason they can't do Freesync, besides "Go fuck yourself".

In fact they did do Freesync flawlessly. Until they put out new drivers to disable it because "Fuck you buy our $100 chip".

I'm sorry, I'm absolutely new to pc putting together completely so this is still over my head. Is it something I should worry about (I just want a pc that will do vr and in particular Fallout vr well as well as run a good amount of mods for Bethesda games)?

I do appreciate your time responding.

Oct 25, 2017
Freesync and GSync both provide an alternative to V Sync. To explain why it's important, we have to explain why Vsync is deficient.

So with Vsync, essentially, your card slows itself down in order to avoid going faster than your monitor, which is always 60hz/fps. In doing so, it adds latency and can only run at either 60fps or 30fps, because your monitor is dictating what your video card will do.

Freesync and G Sync flip that around, and have your video card tell your monitor what to do, and eliminates tearing by making the monitor display whatever the video card is ready for. This reduces latency, and also means that you won't stutter in between 60 and 30 fps... So as your FPS fluctuates from say 45fps to 60, it'll stay smooth the whole range through, as the monitor will adaptively, natively, support all of those framerates, instead of just trying to make everything work at 60.
Now the main difference between Gsync and Freesync, is that Gsync gets a little bit wider range of fps/hz that it will work at vs Freesync (so Freesync will work from 45-144hz, and maybe GSync will work from 40-144hz), but is locked down to nVidia cards only, and works only on special monitors that have a $100 chip in it. So a Gsync monitor will be $100 more usually than it's Freesync equivalent, and will only work on nVidia cards.

Freesync in theory works on everything, as it's just a part of the standard, but no consoles yet support it, and nVidia actively blocks it, so for now it's sort of exclusive to AMD. Please note; the Xbox One X will support Freesync. No Gsync tho!

This only matters if you need the best experience, and if you're just getting into things, I wouldn't worry about it too much tbh. But Freesync will be supported by more and more devices, and Gsync only nVidia cards ever. It can effectively lock you into one card vendor atm if you buy a monitor specifically for this feature though.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've got the Vive, and consider it the best option; currently, the Rift has "better" controllers, in that there's a bit of finger tracking, which works great for grabbing/holding objects in VR. This advantage is a bit situational though -- It only matters in games where you're juggling a lot of different items, and it's mainly a comfort thing more than anything. The Vive still has VASTLY easier set up and tracking, and those are the most important things for VR IMO.
Also, the Knuckles takes the Rift advantages and then leapfrogs them, and hooooo boy am I looking forward to those.
As for my rig, I've done most of my playing with an i5 2500, non-overclocked, and an AMD 390. But any "higher end" mainstream card should be good to go -- Devs don't want to target top of the top end. That being said....

The 1070 is basically considered the card to get for VR. Sure you can go 1080, but 1070 is the "ideal" price value card. Too bad proprietary Gsync nonsense is a heinous offense, or maybe I'd have one.

tyvm

I agree, you may remember my thread on GAF(I couldn't find an archived thread) about it last year. I think as consoles like the Xbox One X gain adaptive/freesync solutions and TV manufacturers start to imbed the scalers needed for Freesync, we'll finally see Nvidia cave. It's just a matter of time.

I waited for an AMD card that could suit my needs for a long time, and they couldn't deliver, so I finally just bit the bullet.

I'm sorry, I'm absolutely new to pc putting together completely so this is still over my head. Is it something I should worry about (I just want a pc that will do vr and in particular Fallout vr well as well as run a good amount of mods for Bethesda games)?

It's actually kind of important to note, not only do they block it (When it's a standard feature on Display Port), but they are actively using adaptive sync solutions on their mobile/notebook/laptop, while blocking it on the desktop.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Free sync is something improve screen tearing.you can read about it here.
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync

I'll say dont fret over it.

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Can you use either the Vive or the rift touch controllers without setting up room scale?

Thinking of jumping into VR but don't have a space for the setup so currently leaning towards the new Samsung mixed vr headset.

Also would the new surface book 2 be ok for VR? It has a 1060 in it. Says vr ready but not sure what their benchmark is.

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually kind of important to note, not only do they block it (When it's a standard feature on Display Port), but they are actively using adaptive sync solutions on their mobile/notebook/laptop, while blocking it on the desktop.
It's ridiculous! It's for absolutely no reason other than "Fuck you".

Question: Can you use either the Vive or the rift touch controllers without setting up room scale?

Thinking of jumping into VR but don't have a space for the setup so currently leaning towards the new Samsung mixed vr headset.

Also would the new surface book 2 be ok for VR? It has a 1060 in it. Says vr ready but not sure what their benchmark is.

1: Yes, you can use the Vive and, I would assume, the Rift controllers without setting up room scale. In fact, Oculus doesn't really recommend you do Roomscale at all, because their tracking solution is subpar, and becomes a bigger pain in the ass the more room you dedicate to it! The Vive's focus on Roomscale may have led people into thinking it *only* worked roomscale, but that isn't really the case. You will want enough room to stand up and comfortably stretch your arms for a lot of the more "hype" games though. There are, however, plenty of "seated" games for both (well really all games are for both anyway so FUGGIT).

The 1060 in the SB2 should be fine for VR. It may not run the greatest showstopper VR game out there, but most of these devs are targetting around a 970 in hardware, and I believe the 1060 surpasses that, as the mobile chips in the 10 series aren't cut down IIRC.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous! It's for absolutely no reason other than "Fuck you".

1: Yes, you can use the Vive and, I would assume, the Rift controllers without setting up room scale. In fact, Oculus doesn't really recommend you do Roomscale at all, because their tracking solution is subpar, and becomes a bigger pain in the ass the more room you dedicate to it! The Vive's focus on Roomscale may have led people into thinking it *only* worked roomscale, but that isn't really the case. You will want enough room to stand up and comfortably stretch your arms for a lot of the more "hype" games though. There are, however, plenty of "seated" games for both (well really all games are for both anyway so FUGGIT).

The 1060 in the SB2 should be fine for VR. It may not run the greatest showstopper VR game out there, but most of these devs are targetting around a 970 in hardware, and I believe the 1060 surpasses that, as the mobile chips in the 10 series aren't cut down IIRC.

The oculus with 3 camera roomscale is actually really good, I have it, and have used both Vive and Rift. I'm switching to the Vive because of the upcoming Pimax (Which I ordered) but the Oculus has been pretty great but the biggest issue is definitely the USB space/Bandwidth. And Cable Management, which Vive doesn't require anywhere near as much of.

goldenageoftelevision

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone help me, I dont know what to buy ... the OR or the Vive? Whats the ultimate VR experience?

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me, I dont know what to buy ... the OR or the Vive? Whats the ultimate VR experience?
Vive.

The Rift discourages you from setting up roomscale, both in how they communicate the product and in how convoluted the setup to do so is, and the seated experiences they encourage are.... well it's like comparing a slice of roast beef to a great steak. The only advantage that the Rift has, the controllers, are about to be leapfrogged by the Vive anyway.

goldenageoftelevision

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Vive.

The Rift discourages you from setting up roomscale, both in how they communicate the product and in how convoluted the setup to do so is, and the seated experiences they encourage are.... well it's like comparing a slice of roast beef to a great steak. The only advantage that the Rift has, the controllers, are about to be leapfrogged by the Vive anyway.

Thanks, I just ordered one for 411 Euros. Is there an updated best of VR games list or something you can recommend?

Oct 25, 2017
Space Pirate Trainer, Space Pirate Trainer, there's also Space Pirate Trainer, and don't forget Space Pirate Trainer.

And after you're done with all that, make sure to give Space Pirate Trainer a go.