• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Let other countries decide if they want to ban Huawei from their markets.
Many other countries have already decided to take those steps to ban them or certain components of theirs from markets. This isn't something unique to the US.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48309132

Australia effectively banned Huawei and another Chinese telecom firm, ZTE, last year when it applied national security rules to companies supplying equipment to telecoms firms.

New Zealand has blocked Huawei from supplying one mobile network with 5G equipment, but has not yet ruled out all Huawei 5G contracts completely.

These two countries, along with the UK and Canada, make up the so-called Five Eyes intelligence-sharing network with the US.

The UK is still reviewing its 5G telecoms policy and may allow Huawei to supply "non-core" 5G components, such as antenna masts.

Canada is still weighing up its decision over Huawei.

The United States has effectively blocked all Huawei involvement in its 5G networks.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Many other countries have already decided to take those steps to ban them or certain components of theirs from markets. This isn't something unique to the US.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48309132

Australia effectively banned Huawei and another Chinese telecom firm, ZTE, last year when it applied national security rules to companies supplying equipment to telecoms firms.

New Zealand has blocked Huawei from supplying one mobile network with 5G equipment, but has not yet ruled out all Huawei 5G contracts completely.

These two countries, along with the UK and Canada, make up the so-called Five Eyes intelligence-sharing network with the US.

The UK is still reviewing its 5G telecoms policy and may allow Huawei to supply "non-core" 5G components, such as antenna masts.

Canada is still weighing up its decision over Huawei.

The United States has effectively blocked all Huawei involvement in its 5G networks.

Poland is also about to block Huawei's 5G plans there, because there is a recent precedent of a Huawei employee arrested in Poland on charges of spying for the Chinese government

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/12/world/asia/huawei-wang-weijing-poland.html

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a funny infographic (incomplete list) but kind of lays out imbalance that I'll repost.

Imagine your iOS and Google.ecosystem apps replaced with Chinese equivalents because the global versions are all banned on the mainland.

https://twitter.com/Hongkong_Bear/status/1129974358401699840?s=20
So you are intentionally posting an apples to oranges comparison? Blocking an app in China vs imposing a ban that effectively restricts all dealings world wide. Chinese companies are free to do business with Google or other countries.

Oct 25, 2017
So you are intentionally posting an apples to oranges comparison? Blocking an app in China vs imposing a ban that effectively restricts all dealings world wide. Chinese companies are free to do business with Google or other countries.

And it's not even the supposed reason for the ban, which is apparently "security concerns".

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
And it's not even the supposed reason for the ban, which is apparently "security concerns".
That's because it's two separate issues your confusing In one. Huawei's involvement for the 5G rollout is banned in the US. It applies to the US only. That's what all this talk of a ban is about. Though several other countries have bans of their own .

Google choosing to stop working with Huawei due to the current export decree is separate and that it affected Huawei globally is a side effect, probably intended, it' is certainly not a ban on Huawei globally.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
China is making vague political and economic threats to Canada over this. They have a lot of pull in this country.

On that topic, this is a good read about Chinese influence in Canada.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world...ustralia-says-canada-is-in-even-worse-trouble

Basically an Austalian academic warning of Chinese influence there couldn't get published because publishers didn't want to anger Beijing and he even got accused of racism.

He also mentions Chinese austrailains having to censor themselves for fear of retribution of family members back home. Imagine if the PRC one day comes out and 'suggests' Chinese canadians vote a certain way or else.

Last edited:

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because it's two separate issues your confusing In one. Huawei's involvement for the 5G rollout is banned in the US. It applies to the US only. That's what all this talk of a ban is about. Though several other countries have bans of their own .

Google choosing to stop working with Huawei due to the current export decree is separate and that it affected Huawei globally is a side effect, probably intended, it' is certainly not a ban on Huawei globally.
This is purposely being obtuse.

Google will not do business with Huawei in the US or elsewhere, it is global.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
As a happy user of Huawei smartphones, this kinda sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing what else they have in store for the future, camera-wise especially. Can't really blame Google as it's not really their fault (as far as I understand it).

Oh, well. I've been on Samsung before. Might as well go for it again.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but still:

problem is even if Huawei is truly innocent, you just can't trust the Chinese government. Their thirst is absolutely real.

As opposed to trusting the US government?

giphy.gif

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a little bit sad that it takes a phone war for some people in this thread to realize superpowers use sanctions to get whatever they want, for good reasons and bad.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...peans-coming-around-on-threat-posed-by-huawei

Although this sounds a bit fake news to me. (source is american, european governments haven't yet expressed their position,...)

More than anything this seems like a cheap attempt to create bad press on Huawei to slow down its insane growth and to scare consumers and Huawei's partners away.

- the US ban delayed the day after
- this borderline fake news about the european countries

As opposed to trusting the US government?

giphy.gif

I wouldn't trust either of them.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After repeated incidents of Huawei building their entire business off of stealing from everyone else, I'd be happy to watch them get destroyed.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Even after a reform, no one would trust them. People dont just forget bad press.
Not after this, I mean a gradual reforming of the company so that they just aren't based on IP theft. As far as I can tell their newest phones aren't really guilty of that. Coming back from this situation seems hard though.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Not after this, I mean a gradual reforming of the company so that they just aren't based on IP theft. As far as I can tell their newest phones aren't really guilty of that. Coming back from this situation seems hard though.

Yeah, its gonna be really hard. Near impossible if you ask me. Kinda like if facebook got reformed, im sure no one would bat an eyelash. Some companies are just "in too deep" into their own shit.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, its gonna be really hard. Near impossible if you ask me. Kinda like if facebook got reformed, im sure no one would bat an eyelash. Some companies are just "in too deep" into their own shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_involved_in_the_Holocaust

Most of these companies are doing just fine today, record profits for some

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017

This Huawei fixation is pretty much a product of the Era bubble. The phones sold like hotcakes right up until Trump's attack on them through Google, at which point risk aversion took hold.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017

Overseas smartphone unit sales have "dropped by 40%," Ren said. A company spokesman said that Ren was referring to a fall in sales between May 17 and June 16, compared to the month to May 16.

Meanwhile the Honor 20 will be arriving in Europe later this week (via Bloomberg):
China's largest technology company is crunching internal estimates and exploring options including pulling the latest model of its marquee overseas label, the Honor 20, people familiar with the matter say. The device begins selling in parts of Europe June 21 including France and the U.K., but executives are monitoring the launch and may cut off shipments if it sells poorly as expected, they said, asking not to be identified discussing internal matters. Already, two of France's largest carriers aren't bothering with the Honor at all, two people familiar with the matter said.