• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Here we go, even the most progressive gaming forum gets on the Trump bandwagon with an idiotic trade war. Time and time again I underestimate the American propaganda machine's effect on people.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
US companies never entered the market, the rules of restricted market were always there, worldwide services weren't impacted and overall: the laws and regulations in US are different. US government should not be able to single-out companies like that and effectively kill them domestically and damage internationally without courts and evidence.
Actually I disagree, I think the US government should have the ability to ban US companies from doing business with any entity it so wishes. I believe it was fully within China's rights to set whatever concessions it wanted for foreign countries to do business there and conversely I think it's totally within the US government's rights to dictate who and how foreign companies do business here. Every country should have the ability to ban their companies from doing business with any company they wish frankly.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I disagree, I think the US government should have the ability to ban US companies from doing business with any entity it so wishes. I believe it was fully within China's rights to set whatever concessions it wanted for foreign countries to do business there and conversely I think it's totally within the US government's rights to dictate who and how foreign companies do business here. Every country should have the ability to ban their companies from doing business with any company they wish frankly.
We really are going back to 19th century nationalism, what a nightmare. How about some evidence? International cooperation? An independent mediator? No? Great.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even from America so try again. Or did you just completely dodge the damn question because you don't have actually have a retort for why we should abandoned the rights of muslims for China. I'll be here waiting when you have an answer

Your point was this is all trade wars right? My point was trade wars is the top focus for trump. It's not the only moves being made right now. I'm more interested in the fact the company with close ties to a fascist government is close to building a communications networks for other territories when we already know they use it nefariously in their own lands. That this is a much bigger concern to me than any trade wars as I dont wish to see a surveillance network that targets sex race and religion be expanded.

Putting that all out of mind to discuss just the trump stuff doesnt really work for me.

Because all of those shit is disgusting dont make this move by google anything but sucks too. Why does us the consumer of huawei not in us or even china should suffer too?

If u want to call one side as evil being, then at least try to check the mirror as murica certainly dont do this moves because they cared about the chinese muslim suffering there.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Because all of those shit is disgusting dont make this move by google anything but sucks too. Why does us the consumer of huawei not in us or even china should suffer too?

If u want to call one side as evil being, then at least try to check the mirror as murica certainly dont do this moves because they cared about the chinese muslim suffering there.
This is not a move by Google.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

And I never claimed that this was being done in protection of the Chinese muslims either. I'll happily be the first to call America out on its shit too. Where I'm from we had government paid for vans telling people to go back. All of it is vile.

Again my only interest is not seeing their network expanded by a company who's government can easily exert control over them. While this doesn't directly further that my hope is that maybe it leads to some reconsideration of who will own our network, because where I am we already have a bad enough issue with malice directed at muslims and I'm a little concerned that it could be abused by another government that regularly attacks muslims already.

By extension I never said people should have to suffer by their phones being made useless, just that it's not something I'm as bothered about because a phone is easier to replace. It also doesn't mean I'm happy with the situation either when I say I dont see why I should care about Huwei as I'm only really addressing the company. Though I get how it could seem I was saying the customers 'deserve' it or something from the wording, but that wasn't the intent.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Huawei responds to Android ban
Fresh off the sledgehammer blow of having its Android license revoked by Google in response to US government demands, Huawei has issued its first, limited response, which leaves more questions open than it answers. In a statement emailed to The Verge, Huawei underscores its contributions to the growth of Android globally — which most recently saw the company's Android phone sales growing by double digits while every other leading smartphone vendor was shrinking or stagnant — and reassures current owners of Huawei and (subsidiary brand) Honor phones that they will continue to receive security updates and after-sales service. That promise also covers phones that are already shipped and in stock at stores globally, but no additional promises are made beyond that.

"Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android's key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry.

Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.

We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally."

Google has already said that owners of Huawei phones will retain their access to the Play Store and continue being able to update their apps. The big thing that's being written out of their future, however, are further Android OS updates from Google. To get those back, Huawei phone owners and fans will have to hope for a resolution in the US-China trade dispute, which has been the trigger for Huawei's current blacklisting by the US government.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
i bet US companies would lose billions and perhaps a few jobs as Huawei is like no 3 in the smartphone business and big on telecommunications
It's a bit complicated as Huawei themselves are chipset manufacturers so I don't think they necessarily source too many parts from the US. I think this move from Google (which had they had to take because of US government's export ban) is a lot more damaging to Huawei.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I have a China ROM Xiaomi Mix2s. Brought in China during last 11.11 promotion. I unlocked the bootloader but never bother to flash international ROM on it. Just installed google play store and it was fine. Only thing not working is NFC with google pay. I think if you are in Europe and Middle East and you really want to use Huawei phone, it shouldn't be that big a deal.

If this makes Huawei provide unlock bootloader on their phones in the future, it's a net positive for me. I may even buy a P30P myself.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that bothers me is that Huawei phones aren't even sold in US. So this is primarily affecting non Americans.

America is basically telling the rest of the world what's best for them.

Nothing new then, has always been like that. If this was about National Security, fine, ban the phone in your country and ban the company. But they have taking a decision that will affect everyone. The ramifications of this would be felt for a long time.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here we go, even the most progressive gaming forum gets on the Trump bandwagon with an idiotic trade war. Time and time again I underestimate the American propaganda machine's effect on people.
You people can equate as much as you want those who don't approve totalitarian criminal disgusting regimes such as China's and Russia's to Trump supporters.

It doesn't make it true and it never will.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Man, the worst thing is Europe dropping the ball on this whole mobile OS thing. They could've provided both stability and freedom of use. Now as American tech suffers under Trump (and as evidenced by this thread, more Americans getting on board with him) we'll eventully get Chinese stability but not much freedom.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
You people can equate as much as you want those who don't approve totalitarian criminal disgusting regimes such as China's and Russia's to Trump supporters.

You just inconvenienced some people's phones. You did jack shit about any human rights.

Gozan

Oct 27, 2017
"Huawei is bad because the Chinese government can force them to further its geopolitical agenda!"

(posted in thread about the American government forcing Google to further their geopolitical agenda)

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess their phone will ship with the same os minus Google play service.

Plus a big icon that will install the Google service with one click.

The same process you do when you buy the Chinese version and want app store.

Just more streamlined

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Took them long enough.

Way too many of this garbage in this thread though.

tWJMDro_d.jpg

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Stop acting like this is about human rights shit. This is about money money and money. Dont act like murica is doing this for the sake of humanity. Thats fcking dishonesty.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What did you think.

Americans feel their country is the greatest EVAR and should lord it over everyone else on the planet. It doesn't matter if a shitlord is sitting as president.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And I never claimed that this was being done in protection of the Chinese muslims either. I'll happily be the first to call America out on its shit too. Where I'm from we had government paid for vans telling people to go back. All of it is vile.

Again my only interest is not seeing their network expanded by a company who's government can easily exert control over them. While this doesn't directly further that my hope is that maybe it leads to some reconsideration of who will own our network, because where I am we already have a bad enough issue with malice directed at muslims and I'm a little concerned that it could be abused by another government that regularly attacks muslims already.

By extension I never said people should have to suffer by their phones being made useless, just that it's not something I'm as bothered about because a phone is easier to replace. It also doesn't mean I'm happy with the situation either when I say I dont see why I should care about Huwei as I'm only really addressing the company. Though I get how it could seem I was saying the customers 'deserve' it or something from the wording, but that wasn't the intent.

Again. We are not talking about the network 5g expansion. It is about android. If it is about 5g, who the F care if Murica or any western country want to ban them on the agenda of safety there?

This Android case is different. This feels like a man child move hoping to pressure China by forcing google to do this, in hope that he will win the trade war at the cost of the everyone. It is stupid, toxic and feels like such immature dick move.

How many hua wei users, hua wei product distributor and workers all over the world will be affected? How much company which can be from all over the world will also suffer that can lead to company closure or employees lay off will happen? This is such a short term moves to please Trump ego which will caused damage everywhere which will also hit Murica.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
1. Nothing to do with the topic. If you want to argue that Chinese companies have an unfair advantage in China, please do so, but it is 100% irrelevant to the topic. You haven't even touched on the non-Chinese customers who use Play Store on Huawei phones, which is a huge portion of the non-US market. You know that Huawei is like 15% of the market outside of China?

2. Any country is going to protect its citizens with political pressure. Nobody is ignoring the incident, but you want to bundle both things to say: Look, China is helping Huawei, therefore Huawei is going to spy for China. If you followed this line of logic where , you would reach a conclusion that VW cars are surveilance wagons spying for Germany and Samsung TVs are blackboxes for South Korea.

This is so disingenuous as to be absurd. The idea that VW or Samsung would engage in the same type of rampant IP theft as Chinese industry does is laughable.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
"Huawei is bad because the Chinese government can force them to further its geopolitical agenda!"

(posted in thread about the American government forcing Google to further their geopolitical agenda)
This is pretty much it.

As a non American...why do I care? I get shafted anyway. With the American way the shafting is visibly affecting me.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You just inconvenienced some people's phones. You did jack shit about any human rights.
Stop acting like this is about human rights shit. This is about money money and money. Dont act like murica is doing this for the sake of humanity. Thats fcking dishonesty.
That's funny because Huawei's far reaching tentacles are leading to the death of Canadian citizens in China. Fuck that and the chinese regime and its president Winnie the Pooh.

Why the hell would people at large even care for sales. The delusion in china apologists.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
"China apologists".
This pretty much confirm what I wrote before: either you agree with the ban or you are a China shill.
Fuck sake, here I was thinking this was a place where things could actually be discussed.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That comic has nothing to do with some of the objections in this thread, but I guess it was just cool to post it without reading the thread first.

I've read the thread. Nothing? I can see plenty of "oh you're criticizing China? Yet you're posting from a smartphone / using Facebook / etc."

So no, far from nothing. It fits pretty well.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, China isn't run by a man child and still has been using target sanction and meeting with treasury people and congress people to work out a new trade deal
China is run by someone much worse than a "man-child", and China also started the trade war, Trump is just the first US president to retaliate.

Trump sucks, but China is not your friend people.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I've read the thread. Nothing? I can see plenty of "oh you're criticizing China? Yet you're posting from a smartphone / using Facebook / etc."

So no, far from nothing. It fits pretty well.
This just pretty much confirms you have not read the thread. Couldn't care less about that stupid logic, but sure throw me in the same pool.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
If German companies are stopping business with them, it's not "over nothing".
Yeah, it's over being scared of potential reactions from the US government, just as with their Iran business. I'm not quite sure why anyone should applaud this.

In contrast, the German government sees no reason to exclude Huawei from providing 5G equipment.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
"China apologists".
This pretty much confirm what I wrote before: either you agree with the ban or you are a China shill.
Fuck sake, here I was thinking this was a place where things could actually be discussed.

As an European I feel stuck between two potentially unstable superpowers who both claim their propaganda is righteous. Maybe EU will fail soon and we'll get the full trifecta.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
"China apologists".

Where have you been? The discourse in any thread that include the words 'China', 'Apple', or 'Elon Musk' or 'TLJ' usually descend pretty quickly into name calling.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain one thing to me... They said that the Huawei phones can't be updated to Q because it needs to be approved/certified by Google or something. But how does custom roms work? Are they certified by Google too?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain one thing to me... They said that the Huawei phones can't be updated to Q because it needs to be approved/certified by Google or something. But how does custom roms work? Are they certified by Google too?
No, though Google Play Services etc. would still need to be I guess.