• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I've already said I've read the thread, are you going to talk about WMDs again?
No don't worry, I have already been told that the whole WMD stuff was fine because a US massacre is better than a Chinese one, so I'm not going back there.

But I am sure you have read the many posts discussing how this is not a simple "I am against the ban, therefore I love China" issue, but it has a lot of to do with the fact that some of us would like to see some tangible evidence of how Huawei are stealing all our data, especially considering the history of who is claiming this. Some of us also are a bit worried about seeing again the bullshit of US as the police of the world, all to mask the real economic reason of this war.

But sure, go on on your high pedestal and keep telling me that we are all part of the coming you posted.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The phones will still get updated by Huawei as Android Open Source Project is open source and Huawei modifies it before rolling them out a few months after it's out on Pixel. What's not going to happen is Huawei getting access to beta version of Android. And for future phones the play store itself won't be there by default but Huawei can package an installer that gets all the necessities installed right away.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks. I've got an Honor 8x and my gf has a P20 Pro. I was looking to side/upgrade to the Pixel 3a anyway, so this might push me over the edge.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not from the US (you'll find that in fact most people aren't), so Google would be spying for a foreign government as well.
Also, does Huawei spy for the chinese gov? Post some evidence.
No, Huawei does not spy for the Chinese government, as it IS the Chinese government. There have been well-funded articles on this, and they all point to being founded, and being an effective arm of the Chinese military. You can google this yourself, since I'm on mobile.

Basically any big company needs to be a part of the government or they are not allowed to become big. Big companies would be a threat to the CCP and they can't have that.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
No, though Google Play Services etc. would still need to be I guess.

What I mean is... What stops Huawei to get AOSP and update their phones to Q with google services/play? Lineage OS, Paranoid Android and such all have google services and they are not certified.

I'm completely unaware of how this works.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
"Shitty journalists" spreading hateful lies about the benevolent Chinese government. When will it end? :'(
I'm sorry to pop your bubble, but not every discourse is about nationalism. if you accuse a company of shipping backdoors in a big publication, that's a pretty serious claim. the accusations were cheap clickbait, wrong (they always are), and are now used as ammunition in the current trade war between the US and China.
I don't have to take Pooh Bear's side to call out shitty articles and bad arguments which lean on said articles.

All of the "China is bad and they commit terrible crimes on a daily basis" (while true!) are completely unrelated to the topic, because there is zero, nil, nada evidence of Huawei devices having backdoors or actively spying on their users.
If anything, this decision puts Huawei users at risk of spying, because now they are at risk of not getting security updates anymore.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
What I mean is... What stops Huawei to get AOSP and update their phones to Q with google services/play? Lineage OS, Paranoid Android and such all have google services and they are not certified.

Huawei just won't have early access to upcoming Android versions and certifications required to view HD videos etc. So they will get AOSP code at the same time as Lineage OS. They can work around most of the issues but not Google pay and things that require certification.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Well Huawei wouldn't be legally allowed to bundle an AOSP version with google apps I think. Even Lineage doesn't bundle them with the OS right? They are bundled separately and downloaded on opengapps or whatever. Some posts here making it sound like other manufacturers make it really easy to install them after the fact though so maybe Google doesn't care as long as they aren't installed by default on uncertified devices.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good but with that said, I am never using a none Apple phone again. In today's environment, no other company respects privacy as much as Apple.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

You need a license (legal agreement) and a certification process from Google to distribute google play (services) on your devices. That's their rules

As for why custom ROMs/Gapps are allowed to distribute google play, google tolerates the distribution since none are device manufacturers, they don't tamper with Google's proprietary code and they obviously want to lock down users on google's services (plus the custom rom world is so small compared to other size of the android market)

OP
OP
-Pyromaniac-

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
The phones will still get updated by Huawei as Android Open Source Project is open source and Huawei modifies it before rolling them out a few months after it's out on Pixel. What's not going to happen is Huawei getting access to beta version of Android. And for future phones the play store itself won't be there by default but Huawei can package an installer that gets all the necessities installed right away.
AOSP aint what it used to be

Look, you don't have to like the US. You can acknowledge that a significant portion of this change is fueled by trade war nonsense - but it doesn't change the fact that this is ultimately a good call in the grand scheme of things. Really, it all boils down to 2 points:

1. Google was already arbitrarily barred from the Chinese market, while companies like Huawei were allowed to thrive whilst using Google's own platforms and services. Ignoring everything else, Google are well within their rights to not want to directly support a competitor in a market that they have outright no access to themselves.

2. Huawei is very obviously connected to the CCP. It's telling that the folks defending Huawei/China here are completely ignoring that incident. Regardless on whether or not there's concrete proof Huawei is sending data to the CCP (concrete being the operative word, here), there is more than enough information to infer Huawei is in bed with the Chinese government directly.

I hate Trump, he's a buffoon, but anyone trying to perform mental gymnastics to condemn his decision entirely here aren't doing anyone any favors.
agreed on all this!

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain one thing to me... They said that the Huawei phones can't be updated to Q because it needs to be approved/certified by Google or something. But how does custom roms work? Are they certified by Google too?
Google has become far more restrictive when it comes to custom roms. Any uncertified device that runs Android 8.0 and up needs to be whitelisted in order for it to have access to Gapps (Google Play Store, Google Play Services and Google apps):

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-blocks-gapps-uncertified-devices-custom-rom-whitelist/

Google turns a blind eye to devices running Gapps prior to Android 8.0, hence why you can still sideload the Google Play Store and Google Play Services on Amazon's FireOS tablets (Android 7.0). But apps that rely on Widevine DRM levels and SafetyNet (banking e.g.) won't work on these "uncertified devices".There are ways to trick the system into thinking your uncertified (or rooted) device is certified using Magisk, but that's not something the average user would be able to do.

Oct 27, 2017
This is some xenophobic bullshit. There's been zero actual evidence that these phones are compromised. People just have a *feeeeeeelliinngg* they are. Fucked up.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I visited GAF accidentally.

Keep on being racist ERA, lol.
Racist against whom? Is the Chinese government a race? Are Huawei so huge now that they transcended corporation status and moved right on to full blown Race status? Or is the intimation here that Americans hate Asians now? Because if that's true, you're going to have to explain Samsung's huge success rate in the US.

Oct 27, 2017
What is xenophobic about it? You'd have a point if all Chinese companies including ones from Taiwan were being banned.

They're the personification of all the *yellow fears* that the government is trying to sow. Just because we buy other products from Chinese companies doesn't mean this shit isn't fueled by the same bullshit fear of the other.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're the personification of all the *yellow fears* that the government is trying to sow. Just because we buy other products from Chinese companies doesn't mean this shit isn't fueled by the same bullshit fear of the other.
No, the government is merely correcting how it views and acts to the PRC under the CCP. The CCP doesn't represent all Chinese everywhere and Huawei is an extension of the CCP's intelligence sector. How do you think the US should react after the CCP disappeared two Canadians and sentenced another to death in a kangaroo court?

To brush it off as "yellow fears" is to fall for the CCP's narrative that any criticism of the regime is merely racism. You're doing their PR work for them.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To someone who is not on the US, I would have to choose to being spied by the Chinese or spied by the US.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I got a Huawei phone like 7 months ago and locked into contract until Nov 2020.

This is silly. From a non US person's perspective my data is being taken by a foreign company and actually being used all the time. On the other hand with Huawei it's a potential for my data to be taken and used.

They are both foreign to me, it doesn't make a lick of difference to me and I'm not going to pretend one is better than the other to me. So yea the "American hate boner" is affecting the non American.

Google is from US so it is what it is.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
"Huawei is bad because the Chinese government can force them to further its geopolitical agenda!"

(posted in thread about the American government forcing Google to further their geopolitical agenda)

That's the most sad part about it. Just like all the Venezuela Threads that american posters almost feels like the obligation to "free" Venezuela with their army.

(venezuela and china govs. are terrible. Writing this to not try to spin my post)

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the government is merely correcting how it views and acts to the PRC under the CCP. The CCP doesn't represent all Chinese everywhere and Huawei is an extension of the CCP's intelligence sector. How do you think the US should react after the CCP disappeared two Canadians and sentenced another to death in a kangaroo court?

To brush it off as "yellow fears" is to fall for the CCP's narrative that any criticism of the regime is merely racism. You're doing their PR work for them.
Hahaha...nah. This campaign of propaganda against another Asian country has the same rhetoric as past pogroms against other Asian countries. You can easily point to the rhetoric about North Korean agent provocateurs, Red Dawn reimaginings with Asian antagonists that were the der rigueur 10 years ago, the Japanese taking over the world in a dystopia technopolis 20-30 years ago, and the yellow hordes of the Dragon Queen from 150 years ago.

Any self-aware Asian born in the diaspora should be more than familiar with how this future is our past. It has nothing to do with any narrative any government is trying to push when Asian Americans have been saying the same thing from before Deng's reforms. Any critique isn't racism, but a lot of it sure as fuck is especially on THIS very forum.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Well anyways I love my Huawei/honor phones so I'll stick with them and whatever they are going to do.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is some xenophobic bullshit. There's been zero actual evidence that these phones are compromised. People just have a *feeeeeeelliinngg* they are. Fucked up.

084.png

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
That's the most sad part about it. Just like all the Venezuela Threads that american posters almost feels like the obligation to "free" Venezuela with their army.

(venezuela and china govs. are terrible. Writing this to not try to spin my post)
Do you know almost all Venezuelans in this forum want an armed intervention? And they aren't the only ones that want it. Not trying to go too much off-topic, but Guaidó was an utter failure. Right now Maduro seems poised to stay in power until he dies or he names a successor.

Coincidentally, Maduro has managed to keep the army support thanks to China and Russia.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Apple Inc slumped 3.3%, weighing the most on the three main indexes and driving down the S&P 500 technology sector 1.27%, the biggest drop among the six S&P sectors trading lower.

The iPhone maker was also pressured by a warning from HSBC that higher prices for the company's products following the increases in tariffs could have "dire consequences" on demand.

U.S. suppliers of Huawei, including Qualcomm , Micron Technology and Broadcom Inc, fell between 3% and 5%, while the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index slid 2.9% to its lowest level in over two months.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-stocks-wall-st-lower-154851272.html

Reaction on Twitter Latam is funny. Most people I see on comments talks about never buying apple, the US is scared of China, Apples begged Trump to stop Huawei and many other funny bits.

However hilarious some of those claims are, it shows people dont see the USA as an ally, but a bully that you keep as your friend just in case, but you would mind if it goes away.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha...nah. This campaign of propaganda against another Asian country has the same rhetoric as past pogroms against other Asian countries. You can easily point to the rhetoric about North Korean agent provocateurs, Red Dawn reimaginings with Asian antagonists that were the der rigueur 10 years ago, the Japanese taking over the world in a dystopia technopolis 20-30 years ago, and the yellow hordes of the Dragon Queen from 150 years ago.

Any self-aware Asian born in the diaspora should be more than familiar with how this future is our past. It has nothing to do with any narrative any government is trying to push when Asian Americans have been saying the same thing from before Deng's reforms. Any critique isn't racism, but a lot of it sure as fuck is especially on THIS very forum.
You would have a point if it weren't for the fact that other Asian states are way more fearful of the PRC than the US is. Taiwan, Hong Kong, South China Sea, etc the list goes on.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, Americans just cant see chinese companies dominating the market.

Hoping this get solved and we dont have to go back to overpriced phones.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
So...can i buy a opo7 instead or there is some risk of a similar situation even with small fishes like oneplus?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Inc slumped 3.3%, weighing the most on the three main indexes and driving down the S&P 500 technology sector 1.27%, the biggest drop among the six S&P sectors trading lower.

The iPhone maker was also pressured by a warning from HSBC that higher prices for the company's products following the increases in tariffs could have "dire consequences" on demand.

U.S. suppliers of Huawei, including Qualcomm , Micron Technology and Broadcom Inc, fell between 3% and 5%, while the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index slid 2.9% to its lowest level in over two months.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-stocks-wall-st-lower-154851272.html

Reaction on Twitter Latam is funny. Most people I see on comments talks about never buying apple, the US is scared of China, Apples begged Trump to stop Huawei and many other funny bits.

However hilarious some of those claims are, it shows people dont see the USA as an ally, but a bully that you keep as your friend just in case, but you would mind if it goes away.

It's pretty obvious why Latam hates the U.S.A. they are murderers. They have fucked countries beyond recognition, they have funded coups, and helped killed millions.

China is fucked up, but DON'T YOU DARE TO SAY THE U.S.A IS INNOCENT.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You would have a point if it weren't for the fact that other Asian states are way more fearful of the PRC than the US is. Taiwan, Hong Kong, South China Sea, etc the list goes on.
Oh you mean those places that are/were propped up and/or made territories by Pax Britannia and Pax Americana?

The Chinese government is terrible to it's ethnic minorities, but there's absolutely no sign that they're looking to expand empire beyond what was taken from them since the Opium Wars and it's not even close to Western imperialism and colonialism.

It's pretty obvious why Latam hates the U.S.A. they are murderers. They have fucked countries beyond recognition, they have funded coups, and helped killed millions.

China is fucked up, but DON'T YOU DARE TO SAY THE U.S.A IS INNOCENT.
Pretty sure the US government still does that stuff too.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
As a Huawei user, this makes me pissed

Their phones are great

I don't care about them stopping the supply, but if Google decides to totally stop all OS and security updates to Huawei phones... 😠😠😠

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go, even the most progressive gaming forum gets on the Trump bandwagon with an idiotic trade war. Time and time again I underestimate the American propaganda machine's effect on people.
I mean living in the US you're basically raised being told that all companies from non-white countries are suspicious in some way with the exception of Japan.

I mean even Japanese car companies are disparaged in favor of American or European manufacturers but lol even we can't fall for that.

I mean just recently I remember how negative people were about AMC being bought by a Chinese company and it's not like there were Chinese government spying issues involved with that.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh you mean those places that are/were propped up and/or made territories by Pax Britannia and Pax Americana?

The Chinese government is terrible to it's ethnic minorities, but there's absolutely no sign that they're looking to expand empire beyond what was taken from them since the Opium Wars and it's not even close to Western imperialism and colonialism.
The PRC wasn't the government during the Opium Wars and it has never ruled the island of Taiwan. The PRC loves trying to co-opt the Qing's legacy and the Republic of China, though.

Also, the fact that they are building artificial islands in the South China Sea and colonizing Africa via the Belt and Road Initiative can tell you there is a lot more than "absolutely no sign".

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The phones and equipment don't have to have backdoors if the actual provider for software and OTA updates can be with the request of an autocratic state with a president-for-life pushing compromised software to hardware. Assuming there's no backdoors now.