• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Awesome stuff. Shame here in Australia the entire conversation is centred around whether it's right for kids to skip school to protest rather than on the message itself. Hopefully movements like this continue to shine more light on the issue and that people want and are demanding change.

Kinda regret not going to my local event but it's hard to find a replacement in ED.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rip no one from my town is doing it according to that map. Still cool, hope it gets tons of media attention.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
The one drawback is the people who are supporting fossil fuels are also the people who don't want students to go to school.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
This is awesome. Proud of our youth, they give me a little hope.
I couldn't bring myself to care about anything at that age.
Shame their protest negatively affects themselves rather than those who need to listen.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure most associations at my university (including mine, in Québec City - Canada) are on strike tomorrow. Sadly I won't be able to attend any of the protest. :(

OP
OP
AmFreak

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome stuff. Shame here in Australia the entire conversation is centred around whether it's right for kids to skip school to protest rather than on the message itself. Hopefully movements like this continue to shine more light on the issue and that people want and are demanding change.
Exactly the same shit happened in Germany. In response this letter in support of the students signed by over 19000 german speaking scientists has been released:
Statement of scientists and scholars concerning
the protests for more climate protection - #Scientists4Future

The concerns of the young protesters are justified
At present, many young people have begun to demonstrate persistently for climate protection and the preservation of our natural resources. As scientists and scholars, and based on sound scientific knowledge, we declare: These concerns are justified and supported by the best available science. The current measures for climate, biodiversity, forest, marine, and soil protection are far from sufficient.
The Paris Agreement on Climate Change of 2015 obliges nation states under international law to keep global warming well below 2°C. In addition, all countries have promised efforts to limit global warming to 1.5 °C.

It is critical to immediately begin reducing net CO2 emissions and to eliminate them to zero worldwide between 2040 and 2050 at the latest. A more rapid reduction increases the probability of reaching 1.5°C. The burning of coal should be nearly ended by 2030, while the burning of oil and natural gas should be reduced simultaneously until all fossil fuels have been replaced by climate-neutral energy sources. Considering global climate justice, in Europe this change has to take place even more quickly.

While the need for participation and discussion remains, action must be taken now. Discussion and action are not mutually exclusive. Many social and technological innovations already exist which can maintain quality of life and improve human well-being without destroying our natural resources.

In all German-speaking countries, neither necessary scale nor speed are being achieved in the restructuring of the energy, food, agriculture, resource, and mobility sectors. Germany will fail to meet the climate protection targets it has set itself for 2020, and the achievement of the goals of the German Sustainability Strategy for 2030 is at high risk. Moreover, there is still a lack of an effective climate protection law. Austria has set itself goals in its climate and energy strategy that do not in any way do justice to the Paris Agreement and even for this purpose neither the necessary measures nor the financial means are provided. At the same time, soil degradation and surface coverage per person and year in Austria are the highest in Europe. Switzerland has reduced its greenhouse gas emissions only slightly since 1990; at the same time, emissions caused abroad have increased considerably. In the first parliamentary debate on the total revision of the CO2 Act, domestic reduction targets were abolished and Swiss emissions were to be reduced by offsetting them abroad. In the end, the law failed for the time being.

The young people rightly demand that our society should prioritize sustainability and especially climate action without further hesitation. Without far-reaching and consistent change, their future is in danger. This change means, among other things: With new courage and the necessary speed, we will introduce renewable energy sources. We will consistently implement energy-saving measures. And, we will fundamentally change our patterns of nutrition, mobility and consumption.

Politicians in particular have a responsibility to create the necessary framework conditions in a timely manner. In particular, climate-friendly and sustainable action must become simple and cost-effective, while climate-damaging action must become unattractive and expensive (e. g., through effective CO2 prices, cessation of subsidies for climate-damaging actions and products, efficiency regulations and social innovations). A socially balanced distribution of the costs and benefits of change is essential.

The enormous mobilisation of the Fridays for Future/Climate Strike movement shows that young people have understood the situation. As scientists and scholars, we emphatically approve their demand for rapid and forceful action.

As people who are familiar with scientific work and who are concerned about the current developments, we see it as our social responsibility to point out the consequences of inadequate action.

Only if we act quickly and consistently can we limit global warming, halt the mass extinction of animal and plant species, preserve the natural basis for life and create a future worth living for present and future generations. This is exactly what the young people of Fridays for Future/Climate Strike want to achieve. They deserve our respect and full support.

(Initial signatories from Germany, Austria and Switzerland, in alphabetical order. Signatories speak on their own behalf, and not on behalf of their affiliated institutions.)

https://www.scientists4future.org/statement-en/

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Its really pathetic and telling that the gen that overwhelmingly cares the most about climate change is the one that's gonna be affected by it the most. Fuck you got mine

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This is awesome. Proud of our youth, they give me a little hope.
I couldn't bring myself to care about anything at that age.
Shame their protest negatively affects themselves rather than those who need to listen.

How does it negatively affect them? I doubt having one day off school for a protest will impact them negatively in anyway.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
My 9 year old daughter saw a video about it and decided to take part. She may be then only one at her school participating but she doesn't seem to care. She just finished making a sign for her self and packing a bag of kettle corn, lol.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
My 9 year old daughter saw a video about it and decided to take part. She may be then only one at her school participating but she doesn't seem to care. She just finished making a sign for her self and packing a bag of kettle corn, lol.

That's awesome to hear.

These protests are so very important. Any child who participates gets mad props from me, as this sort of thing is what of the best ways to raise awareness of humanity's demise.

Nov 3, 2017
Man, our generation really fucked up huh? It's great the kids are out there getting things done, but they shouldn't have to to begin with

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Something something CRISIS ACTORS!

Kids are supposed to be dumb as shit, like we were, so I'm sure this energy isn't genuine and they just wanna anarchy. Probably a Soros liberal parent/teacher lurking behind these "kids".

And that's just my centrist darling Democrat interpretation! Haven't even gotten into the Republican response yet.

This planet is already fucked because of a lot more people than just Republican idiots (i.e. anyone old enough not to be called a kid), but I'm happy that these kids won't just sit by and watch their elders, their "betters" continue destroying their planet (and our planet and that geriatric Fox News watching dumbass motherfucker's planet too).

Enough is enough. Time for games ended sometime back in the 80s. You're either with them or against them, and this time that cowboy shit actually matters because we're talking about the future of human civilization and the survival of quite literally every land, sea, and air creature currently living. Trees and plants are also going to get their asses kicked too, far more than we ever directly gave them in this ongoing Holocene extinction event.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yo why is this thread so quiet?

I took a stroll into Melbourne CBD today having no clue what was going on. I walked past a class of students thinking they were going on an excursion. Two minutes later another group of kids accompanied by who I think was their teacher. Got off the tram and there were a pack of primary school kids with climate change signs. Then it all clicked into place. I walked into the city only to find masses and masses of people on the steps of parliament.

I was honestly getting quite reflexively emotional, taken aback by how effective and loud it was. High school and primary school students taking a peaceful stand against potentially the most important issue of our times. Something I couldn't have dreamed to have seen when I was in high school. I just stood and watched as the crowd grew larger and larger. I don't know how accurate it was, but the speaker said there were around 20,000 people gathered there. Absolutely remarkable and it was a sight to behold.

The pessimist in me says this was a flash in the pan moment but I hope this will spark cascading political push towards legitimate climate change action.

Views from ABC news:
10905134-3x2-940x627.jpg

And here's a photo I took:

ZPmbNdl.jpg

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yay climate change, so whos pushing the switch?

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile we have today "clean up the trash of your fellow citizen" day. Schools and other institutions are encouraged to join and pick up trash laying around making the city a better place.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Any pics from Sydney? I don't want to search on Twitter because I don't want to inadvertently be exposed to massacre videos.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm proud of these kids. They've been doing climate strikes in Brussels for a few months now, glad to see it going global. I was planning on joining in myself today, but can't.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Huge turnout around the world, but the news is being overshadowed by the terrorist attack in New Zealand

It's one thread in many. It's not as though the rest of the entire forum's stopped to focus on the NZ terrorist attack. Now would seem like a good time to revel in some hope.

Any pics from Sydney? I don't want to search on Twitter because I don't want to inadvertently be exposed to massacre videos.

Here's one from reddit, I'm sure there are more.

1bkhc10rn7m21.jpg

EDIT: Damn that Sydney vid's looking good.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fun to watch the crocodile tears and pearl clutching of conservatives saying "stay in school" when they're just salty as fuck that kids aren't marching for right-wing values.

The irony of these calls to avoid skipping school lest it jeopardise their education while simultaneously and consistently ignoring the warnings from the highly educated climate change experts is palpable. These motherfuckers don't care for the value of the educated at all.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a way this is admirable, but I don't know if it's the right way. Sure, it gets attention, but the people who could REALLY do something don't give a shit. And missing school isn't good.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
In a way this is admirable, but I don't know if it's the right way. Sure, it gets attention, but the people who could REALLY do something don't give a shit. And missing school isn't good.
Here in Belgium, the kids have decided to keep going until may, when we've got federal and European elections. They're trying to keep the message in the voter's mind. We've already had our climate minister getting sacked because she lied, saying these protests weren't real and a conspiracy from the left. It gives me hope for the future.

On the other hand, the amount of vitriol some people have been spewing is just baffling. I never realized Belgium had this many climate-deniers, cynical old dipshits and even people my age who just laugh it off, share some Greta Thunberg or Anuna De Wever-meme and say "nothing's going to change".

The millenial generation's basically been a massive failure. These kids, though... Like I said, I'm very proud.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So how do flat-earthers call this? I'm sure it won't be global warming. Anyway seeing these kids be active like this is very satisfying.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017

In Australia at least there's been a bit of a shift in climate change actually being an election issue. The far right factions of the current conservative government may have their head in the sand about it, but it's coming for them. Tony Abbott, the former Prime Minister and renonwned climate denier and climate delayer, faces the real possibility of losing his seat over his views in a couple of months. There has been other recent conservatives losing seats over this issue.

This movement is important and is doing something. It shows that there can be something done against the entrenched corruption of the current government who spread constant FUD in an attempt to prop up a dying industry. This movement has energised a group (18-20 year olds) who traditionally drag their feet before registering to vote but who will now be adding their numbers to the coming Federal election. There was a similar feel to the recent marriage equality plebiscite, where the conservatives ran out of delaying tactics and basically owned themselves.