• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I actually own this book. And this is indeed on page 19:

I7mBXTh.jpg

I'll be damned. Glad that has never featured in the films 'cause I really don't care for the idea.
Sounds somewhat similar to the Matrix plotline

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cameron is notorious for shooting a lot of things that he himself will decide doesn't work and will leave on the cutting room floor. Titanic and Avatar have plenty of scenes that were completely filmed that he axed.
That's why Cameron is also a pretty cool director. Plenty of people need that reality check though.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
This why you have other people who tell you to stop and cut stuff sometimes.
Part of Cameron's genius is that he can come with a shit ton of ideas, and always lands on the best ones. Where other people carry on with the worst ideas, he has the talent to say no to his own ideas rather than yes. It's similiar to steve jobs, who can be behind one idea and know when he's making a mistake with it and go back on it with 0 shame.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I kind of don't care for it. I can acknowledge it does bookend the movie with the beginning and it parallels Sarah's visions of the playground prior to nuclear devastation.

I just think its too neat and saccharine and not in tone with the rest of the film. I think the actual ending is hopeful but uncertain. We don't know what the future brings.

Why do the extras look like they're wearing 80s clothes?

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Never seen that before either. It's definitely better off without it.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I actually own this book. And this is indeed on page 19:

I7mBXTh.jpg

I'll be damned. Glad that has never featured in the films 'cause I really don't care for the idea.

I don't know. I like it. It makes sense of the whole anomalous time loop. At some point skynet existed organically and using its advanced computing powers, it made sure to plot out a path via time travel to ensure its eventual demise. Most likely tying its existence to a terminator sent back in time to send messages to course correct any failed attempts.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The special edition (like the Aliens special edition) is inferior in my eyes for lots of reasons.

These aren't a case like with the Abyss where Cameron wasn't able to deliver on his original ideas. Both T2 and Aliens as released theatrically, are his directors cuts. The special editions are just interesting extra fluff, but I generally don't watch them when I want to revisit either movie.

The Abyss, the special edition is the one I always go to.

This scene wasn't in the T2 directors cut.

The actual DC itself contains the chip reset scene and the issues with the T-1000 malfunctioning after being frozen in nitrogen.

It's one DC which actually adds a lot more to the original which benefits the narrative in my opinion.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I saw the alternate ending in the late 90's when the special edition was shown on Australian tv (something that only happened once in a blue moon). Never saw it again until the local release of the Ultimate Edition dvd (which coincided with the cinema release of T3 - which annoyed me as R1/America got the dvd wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before we did!). And even then you had to enter a code (the Judgment Day date) to access it.

I liked the nuances that the Ultimate Edition added (such as the extended resetting the switch scene at the abandoned garage). And the alternate ending is a cute easter egg I guess you could say. The original highway ending is better.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The special edition (like the Aliens special edition) is inferior in my eyes for lots of reasons.

These aren't a case like with the Abyss where Cameron wasn't able to deliver on his original ideas. Both T2 and Aliens as released theatrically, are his directors cuts. The special editions are just interesting extra fluff, but I generally don't watch them when I want to revisit either movie.

The Abyss, the special edition is the one I always go to.
Firstly, this alternate ending isn't in the Special Edition Cut of T2.
Secondly, I'll take the special edition of both Aliens and especially T2 over the theatrical any day.
Rewatched T2 in cinemas a few years back and the theatrical cut feels way too barebones compared to the special edition which fleshes out the characters and story more effectively.